Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 09:31 PM

991 posts, read 4,620,982 times

Advertisements

BBC rocks! I am half English BBC rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2008, 10:12 PM

663 posts, read 2,265,122 times
bella, these are beautiful. they make me miss NY like crazy.

Old 06-27-2008, 11:47 AM

49 posts, read 185,221 times
I'm sorry but Liverpool and the area north of the city is depressing, cookie cutter, and without character. The only area semi nice by the lake, the "village", is clogged with cars especially during rush hour. Its more a parking lot than a quaint village IMHO. Good place to go if you want your kids dodging speeding cars to get from one place to another.

Old 06-27-2008, 07:16 PM

623 posts, read 1,818,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny99 View Post
I'm sorry but Liverpool and the area north of the city is depressing, cookie cutter, and without character. The only area semi nice by the lake, the "village", is clogged with cars especially during rush hour. Its more a parking lot than a quaint village IMHO. Good place to go if you want your kids dodging speeding cars to get from one place to another.

Having just been to Syracuse for the first time in 6 years I agree that the north of syracuse (northside) is depressing , it seems the worst of the south and west sides found there way there--I remember being a little kid playing at my grandparents house on the northside.

The village of liverpool is nice-aside from congestion from rush hour

Old 06-27-2008, 08:04 PM

3,523 posts, read 9,438,128 times
jrice, I think johnny99 is talking about the northern suburbs...Mattydale, Liverpool, Clay, Cicero etc.

I agree with jrice, the northside INSIDE the city limits is depressing! Run-down old ugly houses, weed filled lots, no maintained landscaping, no clear lines or curbing, potholes, and virtually no new construction. Not to mention much of the city has a scary, negative, empty vibe. By contrast, the northern suburbs of Syracuse are nice, new, clean, landscaped and have an upbeat, active vibe.

Saying a place has character is just an excuse for decay IMO.

Old 06-27-2008, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold dust View Post
bella, these are beautiful. they make me miss NY like crazy.
Thank you!

Just in case anyone was wondering why I haven't posted any new photos lately....my good camera broke. My other camera...which was a gift...shoots poor quality pics. I didn't want to go through the trouble of taking photos of a new town with a bad camera. I'm hoping to buy a new camera sometime this year. I planned to go to Cazenovia this month to take photos of that beautiful town, but until I buy a new camera... that trip is on-hold.

Old 06-28-2008, 10:48 AM

IMO, the only truly depressing suburbs of Syracuse are:

DeWitt: the East Syracuse, Carrier Circle, Erie Blvd area...ugly, ugly, ugly along with a very depressing vibe

Brewerton: the downtown area...in fairness there is plan to fix it up soon

Onondaga Hill: OK area, just too rural and too many narrow roads makes it feel isolated and somewhat depressing to me....more commercial and residential development could easily help improve that area

Village of Camillus: most of Camillus is rather nice, but the village is an eyesore IMO

Van Buren: State Fair Blvd area, the southern part of Baldwinsville (south of the river) has a depressing vibe. New construction and growth in that area could help change that.

Geddes: the area around the State Fair Grounds is ugly and industrial. Lakeland is isolated and ugly looking. In addition, Solvay around Erie Blvd west and Milton Ave is very depressing.

Minoa: This village is the ugly duckling in the Town of Manlius

Of those areas, the East Syracuse and Carrier Circle area easily wins the prize of most depressing suburban area. It is such a large area that it is hard to drive out of that ugliness fast enough.

Old 07-03-2008, 09:04 AM

175 posts, read 550,172 times
The Syracuse area has something for just about everyone. Lots of very different housing styles. I would be very dubious about buying a brand new home from a developer here because the cost of construction is so much higher than the average home cost. There are quite a few new developments of "cluster homes" built close together on small lots. I think a slightly older neighborhood is a much better deal, and more attractive too.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Bella is talking about the commercial areas of DeWitt and some of the other areas. The residential areas are nice. Erie is a very ugly street, and the lights are geared to make you constantly stop - what a waste of gas. It is convenient, with lots of parking and big stores.

Old 08-15-2008, 07:35 PM

Yes, you're right. I was posting about the commercial and industrial northern half of DeWitt/East Syracuse area.

One thing that really frustrates me about the Syracuse area is the lack of foresight by developers and town leaders. Especially some towns...I'm talking about you Town of Salina. When an empty parcel of land is developed, there is no plan to maintain the whole property. Parts of it are left to go wild and become unsightly in a matter of months.

For example, take a look at this picture of a new home development in Salina taken last year....

You would not recognize it now. Why? The green strip of grass near Buckley Road was left to grow unchecked. Now weeds and shrubs are blocking the view of the homes creating an unsightly mess.

Another example is the new Holiday Inn Express in Salina on South Bay Road near the Airport entrance. Instead of clearing the whole site and landscaping it so it will always look attractive, the developers left part of the property a weedy mess of ugly overgrown brush right next to the main entrance and South Bay Road.

Someone is at fault for all this poor planning. You just do not see this much overgrown brush and out of control weeds in suburban Rochester, NY.

Last edited by bellafinzi; 11-15-2010 at 04:53 PM..

Old 04-03-2009, 01:41 PM

A few videos of the Liverpool and Salina vicinity:

YouTube - Welcome to the Village of Liverpool!

YouTube - 05-17-2008 onondaga lake park

YouTube - 05-17-2008 onondaga lake park
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area