Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2009, 06:58 PM

2 posts, read 6,661 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I have to be in the Syracuse area over Easter weekend, and I'm trying to find an Easter Vigil Mass on Saturday night which is reverent and traditional. I don't want to spend Easter clapping to awful Marty Haugen hymns and trying to figure out where to receive Communion from an army of "Eucharistic Ministers."

It doesn't HAVE to be a traditional Latin Mass---it can also be a new Mass that is celebrated traditionally and without lots of liturgical abuses.

Thanks so much for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2009, 07:10 PM

93,168 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by resurgam View Post
Hello,

I have to be in the Syracuse area over Easter weekend, and I'm trying to find an Easter Vigil Mass on Saturday night which is reverent and traditional. I don't want to spend Easter clapping to awful Marty Haugen hymns and trying to figure out where to receive Communion from an army of "Eucharistic Ministers."

It doesn't HAVE to be a traditional Latin Mass---it can also be a new Mass that is celebrated traditionally and without lots of liturgical abuses.

Thanks so much for your help!
Syracuse is a very Catholic city and area. So, it shouldn't be hard to find a conservative Mass. Check this out:http://www.syrdio.org/index.asp?path=Parishes&action=view&id=5 (broken link)

I don't think it would be hard to find what you are looking for.

Old 04-05-2009, 07:29 PM

3,509 posts, read 9,421,954 times
Blessed Virgin Mary, Mother of God Church and Academy - Parish Church (http://www.bvmacademy.org/church-index.php - broken link)

Not in the best neighborhoods, but the two in the city that come to mind are:

Sacred Heart Basilica
Liturgy Location (http://www.sacredheartsyr.org/LiturgyLocation.html - broken link)

Franciscan Church of the Assumption
Franciscan Collaborative Ministries (http://www.franciscancm.org/liturgical_ministry.php - broken link)

Both are beautiful old churches.

If you do not want to venture down city.... and want to stay closer to your hotel or in a nearby suburb, I don't think you have much to worry about. Most parishes in the Syracuse area have reverent masses. This isn't the Rochester, NY diocese.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:36 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,757,375 times
Sacred Heart Basilica on Park Avenue on the west side (nearest Tipp Hill) is conservative/traditional. There, Communion is given while kneeling at the railing and most, if not all, receive on the tongue. The choir can be a bit too showy (in the very best of ways... they imagine themselves to be world class and they certainly have the potential; they're just not there yet lol) but Mass is always a lovely, devout experience. There is also a well established Latin Mass attendance on Sunday afternoons at 4 o'clock.

Liturgy Location (http://www.sacredheartsyr.org/LiturgyLocation.html - broken link)

MASS
Daily 6:45 AM, 7:15 AM (Polish per request), 7:45 AM & 12:10 PM Saturday Vigil 4:00 PM Sunday 6:00 AM, 9:00 AM, 10:45 AM (Polish), 12:30 PM, 4:00 PM (Latin) Wednesday 7:00 PM - Novena to the Miraculous Medal & St. Jude Thursday 7:00 PM - Mercy of God Novena

Old 04-07-2009, 03:16 PM

2 posts, read 6,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
Sacred Heart Basilica on Park Avenue on the west side (nearest Tipp Hill) is conservative/traditional. There, Communion is given while kneeling at the railing and most, if not all, receive on the tongue. The choir can be a bit too showy (in the very best of ways... they imagine themselves to be world class and they certainly have the potential; they're just not there yet lol) but Mass is always a lovely, devout experience. There is also a well established Latin Mass attendance on Sunday afternoons at 4 o'clock.

MASS
Daily 6:45 AM, 7:15 AM (Polish per request), 7:45 AM & 12:10 PM Saturday Vigil 4:00 PM Sunday 6:00 AM, 9:00 AM, 10:45 AM (Polish), 12:30 PM, 4:00 PM (Latin) Wednesday 7:00 PM - Novena to the Miraculous Medal & St. Jude Thursday 7:00 PM - Mercy of God Novena
Thanks! Even at the English Mass they receive Communion at the altar rail? That's usually a tell-tale sign that what is going on is considered very sacred.

Old 04-07-2009, 05:23 PM

93,168 posts, read 123,783,345 times
I would think parishes like St. Patrick's in Tipperary Hill, St. John the Baptist on the North Side, St. John the Evangelist just north of Downtown, Assumption on North Salina Street and the older city parishes would be more conservative. I believe St. John the Baptist was started in 1827, which is only 2 years after Syracuse started as a community.

Old 03-28-2024, 09:14 AM

1 posts, read 169 times
Default St. Daniel's Church in Lyncourt, Syracuse, NY

St. Daniel's is very traditional in Liturgy, Adoration, Benedication, Confession. The pastor, Father Thomas Ward is very conservative and the Easter Vigil, which will begin at 8pm will be absolutely beautiful!
The church is located on Court Street across from the old Syracuse China.

Old 03-30-2024, 11:24 AM

43 posts, read 14,512 times
I used to be Catholic, but I just couldn't reconcile with facts.

Please give me a reason to come back. I miss it.

)).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area