Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 07:16 AM

10 posts, read 29,464 times

Advertisements

HI Glen, I hear you about leaving Long Island because my husband and I are doing the same. We are moving out side Rochester in July sometime. Good luck on the big move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2006, 07:38 PM

161 posts, read 1,051,183 times
Mandy, Good Luck to you as well. Long Island has so much to offer, just like a city, and it is starting to feel like a city. We have had enough and we are hoping for an easier, less intense lifestyle. With the exchange in home values, cost of living should give us a bit of a break. We also think that as our children grow they will never be able to afford to live here(LI). For anyone who is not from Long Island, house start at 400 gs and that will get you a 2-bedroom in bad shape in a questionable neighborhood. Good thing we bought 18 years ago. Good luck again, we love it up there. Glen

Old 05-31-2006, 04:07 PM

2 posts, read 6,177 times
Default Hey B-vill

I want to move to B-vill. How far is it from the airport? What are the schools like, I have a young child? How big is the town of B-vill ? Last how far is a hospital?

Thanks for your help!

Old 05-31-2006, 09:00 PM

161 posts, read 1,051,183 times
Robby, B-ville is about 8-9 miles from the airport (Hancock International) and about he same to the hospital in Syarcuse. The schools are supposed to be pretty good I did some research on the NYS education dept web site and it rated real well. All the people up there boast about their schools. I believe the population is above 8,000 but it neighbors Liverpool which is highly populated and offers plenty of shopping. The city is a ten minute drive. Checkout some of the sites on Baldwinsville by doing a google search. Good luck Where are you moving from? Why have you picked B'ville?

Old 06-01-2006, 02:03 PM

2 posts, read 6,177 times
I am moving from Phoenix... I hope. I have not fully decided where I want to live but I want cooler climate. I am basing my decision on the ability to find a house with some land, out but close to town, at a price that I can pay cash, having no payments and find a mindless job. I have worked shift work doing a very stressful job for years and have had enough. I had seen a house in B-ville that I liked is how it began. Taxes may prevent me though. I am thinking of Alaska, TN. WV,MT and others.

Old 06-02-2006, 10:22 PM

538 posts, read 2,463,333 times
Default Taxes

If you can find a house around $100k, which is entirely possible, your yearly property tax shouldn't be over $3300. I saw a huge house in Wayne county online for $137k, and I mean huge, like 2,800 square feet. Taxes only $3500.

Old 06-02-2006, 10:27 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,627,542 times
Wayne county is great. It's within 15 minutes Rochester and many western areas of the county are actually in Rochester's suburban spral zone. My borther inlaw owns a cottage on port bay in Wayne county and my niephew recently built a near 3000 square foot house in Macedon for just a little over 200k.

Old 06-03-2006, 05:40 PM

10 posts, read 31,026 times
Default TAXES & places to live

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen NY
Planning on leaving Long Island. Any advice, we are eyeing up Bville.
Bville is nice, AND beautiful. I also REALLY like Cicero, and North Syracuse. Went to Fayettevill for the first time recently, and its not too bad either.

I don;t know what taxes are like down there, but a word of advice: when house shopping - find out what recent tax assessments have been on silmilarly priced homes in your markets. Our home had been previously assessed over 10 years prior to our purchase, taxes jumped considerably from what was in the real estate ad. It is a significant portion of our monthly payment. We knew that taxes were higher in NY, but weren't quite prepared for this.

Old 06-03-2006, 05:44 PM

10 posts, read 31,026 times
Exclamation AZ-NY Taxes again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robby
I am moving from Phoenix... I hope.

I did not completely read the thread before my previous post. If you are moving from AZ, you REALLY need to research the tax situation wherever you are going to live. PHX may be different, but we lived in Cochise County for years, and it appeared that properties were rarely if ever re-assessed. EVEN when they were selling at 2-10 times the original assesment.

Old 09-15-2006, 11:03 AM

10 posts, read 76,293 times
Default Bville is a good choice...

We moved to Skaneateles, NY from Binghamton about 15 years ago and have never regretted it.

Syracuse has alot to offer, and if you can live/raise your family in an outerlying suburb ... even better.

I have friends from a playgroup I belonged to, when my kids were little, in Baldwinsville. I used to travel from Camillus (we were renting at the time) to the Bville area just to meet moms and kids. They have a very nice community there, and I made some good friends from the area.

I can't think of anything negative to tell you ... I guess that is good.

Oh yeah, you know about the cold winter right ?? LOL

Chris Briel
Moderator cut: link removed

Last edited by Yac; 09-15-2006 at 02:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area