Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2012, 12:02 PM

3 posts, read 14,345 times

Advertisements

We're headed on a circle tour road trip of Lake Ontario Memorial Day weekend. The plan is to start in PA, camp somewhere in NY on Lake Ontario (Fairhaven Beach SP?), head west to Toronto, head east around Lake Ontario, camp at a midpoint on Lake Ontario, then head home to PA. Does anyone have any suggestions regarding NY state parks along the Lake Ontario coast? Specifically, in the Watertown/Alexandria Bay area and the Fairhaven Beach/Rochester area? We're minimalist tent campers who enjoy good views, privacy and peace/quiet. Showers, electric, fancy amenitites are not required. We'd prefer a campground that isn't a "parking lot." We'll be camping on weekday nights (so we don't anticipate crowds). Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 12:31 PM

93,275 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Perhaps Westcott Beach State Park between Henderson and Sackets Harbor, Sandy Pond, Brennan's Beach, Fair Haven State Park between Hannibal and Red Creek and maybe Sodus Point. I believe that there is space just west of the SUNY-Oswego campus near Bev's Ice Cream stand and Rudy's.

Old 05-11-2012, 06:28 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. I've heard Selkirk isn't that nice. We were leaning towards Wescott or Southwick Beach. Has anyone been to either?

Old 05-11-2012, 08:02 AM

93,275 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campingbuddy View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. I've heard Selkirk isn't that nice. We were leaning towards Wescott or Southwick Beach. Has anyone been to either?
I've been to Westcott, but not to camp. It is a nice park. If you go there, you may want to check out the village of Sackets Harbor too: The Village of Sackets Harbor NY - Experience the Treasures!

Also, I believe that this is the area near SUNY-Oswego that I was talking about: Oswego, NY RV park, Oswego NY campgrounds, Sunset RV Park Cabins & Campground - Lake Ontario I'm not sure about using tents there or if you could do so somewhere else close by. You may want to check these places out as well: sunsetcamp

http://www.rainbowshorescampsite.com/index.htm

RV Campgrounds - Brennan Beach RV Campgrounds & Resort in New York, Largest RV Park in the Northeast

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 05-11-2012 at 08:17 AM..

Old 05-13-2012, 08:29 AM

1,301 posts, read 3,578,834 times
Selkirk is NOT an enjoyable place to camp. It's like a parking lot. (It also doesn't have a very nice beach, unless views of nuclear power plant cooling towers fascinate you.) Selkirk IS a nice place for a picnic.

Southwick and Westcott are both nice (Southwick is my favorite Lake Ontario beach). One of these - Westcott, I believe - has campsites on a bluff overlooking the lake. My advice to you is to search these parks on Flickr for campsite pictures people may have posted.

You might also want to consider Fair Haven, which is a more crowded beach, but also has campsites.

The state parks along Lake Ontario are mostly much alike - the only exception I'd say is Selkirk, which is a must-avoid for camping.

But do plan on camping in New York, rather than the Canada side. The Canadian side of Lake Ontario is very built-up. The New York shore is mostly rural.

BTW, the Thousand Islands area is chock full of state parks and campgrounds. Too many to list here. If you're going during a weekday, you may very well find nice tenting spots.

This book is also a great resource:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Best-Tent-.../dp/0897326415

Old 05-14-2012, 06:25 AM

Thanks so much for the advice. I own several of the Best in Tent Camping series and, I love those books.

As for now, our plan is to camp at Fairhaven Beach SP on the way up and Wescott or Southwick SP on the way back. If anyone else has any other information regarding these three parks, I'd love to hear your feedback, particularly about the campgrounds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area