Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2009, 08:15 AM

101 posts, read 357,188 times

Advertisements

Came across this today, a proposal by NYPA (New York Power Authority)

Beware NY Wind
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2009, 03:34 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,865,392 times
Default Wind Turbanes for Lake Ontario

The Palladium-Times > Archives > News > NYPA addresses city of Oswego on wind power

I get a kick out of so called "environmentalists" (of which I consider myself) who advocate for alternative energy sources, except when they have to step up (i.e. Robert Kennedy opposition to wind turbines off the Mass. coast near his home).

How many of those opposed to this project know that they live near three nuclear reactors? Don't get me wrong, I am one of those environmentalist who have no objection to nuclear power.

I do not think that the wind turbines will be an "eyesore" and a major danger to migratory birds. Its like using traffice and congestion when opposing a new road project. My point being, if we find excuses to oppose non-fossil fuel technology when that is our objective, then we will continue our dependence on fossil fuels.

Old 11-19-2009, 05:48 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,758,158 times
I have a hard time finding turbines ugly... they're nearly FREE. WIND operates them and the components below turn it into energy. Knowing what it does, a turbine is beautiful!!

The village of Manlius won't let me get a small, $2300 turbine to power our entire home. It makes me want to move out to Pompey...

Old 11-19-2009, 07:49 AM

8,514 posts, read 4,492,998 times
I am fully in favor of both wind and solar power as alternatives to fossil fuels. I think the problem is that we tend to think too big on these projects. I would rather see numerous smaller projects at a community level.

I visited the Fenner windmills this fall. Actually, I thought they were quite beautiful considering that they were generating energy from a constant free source, the wind. The birds are a lot more adaptable than you think, they will adapt to changes in their environment like they have since the beginning of time. About the only complaints I could see if you lived nearby, there would be a droning sound, not unlike the sound of a truck running, as I was about a half mile away. Another objection would be if someone lived directly underneath a windmill, they could get a strobe light effect with the sun streaming through the blades at certain times of day/year which could be maddening in your house. But both could be relieved by improved design.

One of the arguments I hear against solar power for our area is that we don't get enough sun. When I was in the New England states this past summer, I never saw so many solar panels in my life. They are everywhere and in unexpected places, such as on the slopes of Mount Washington NH. One place the solar panels had really proliferated was in Maine. I found it amusing that just about every restroom in Acadia National Park was powered by solar.

So it can be done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area