Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 09:34 AM

131 posts, read 410,858 times

Advertisements

My husband is an AVID bass fisherman. I know there are a lot of lakes in the area, but if we were to move there, he would want to be as close as possible to a lake. So what towns/counties should we look at? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2010, 10:23 AM

125 posts, read 433,776 times
Northern Onondaga County or Southern Oswego county. Oneida Lake is the biggest lake in NYS and hosts the BASS ELITE tourny every year

Old 02-25-2010, 10:35 AM

93,606 posts, read 124,322,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stapletonb4 View Post
Northern Onondaga County or Southern Oswego county. Oneida Lake is the biggest lake in NYS and hosts the BASS ELITE tourny every year
Basically....That would mean Baldwinsville(which has some people that fish in the Seneca River), Cicero, Brewerton, Phoenix, Central Square, Constantia and Cleveland in the areas stapletonb4 mentioned. You could possibly look at Marcellus, where the Nine Mile Creek is and many people go fishing there. possibly Skaneateles which is on Skaneateles Lake and Cazenovia, which is on Cazenovia Lake. Here's some more information that should help: CNY Fishing Hot Spots (http://www.fishingcny.com/hotspots.htm - broken link)

Central New York Fishing - NYS Dept. of Environmental Conservation

Old 02-25-2010, 10:38 AM

Thanks! Are these also the places that get the most snow? I have read that some places get a lot more snow than others. I would like to be close to a lake for my husband, but I don't want to get any more snow than I have to!

Old 02-25-2010, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *~Kim~* View Post
Thanks! Are these also the places that get the most snow? I have read that some places get a lot more snow than others. I would like to be close to a lake for my husband, but I don't want to get any more snow than I have to!
There might be more snow in Oswego County, because it is in the snow belt. Below Oswego County tends to get less snow.

Old 02-25-2010, 02:39 PM

2,440 posts, read 5,763,765 times
There's a stark difference between the snowfall north and south of the Thruway. The north gets more and the south gets less.

That said, I would still suggest Brewerton. Almost on Oneida Lake. For a little less snow, try Canastota.

Really though, you have to shovel/plow snow anyway so the amount of snow isn't going to change the fact that you'll still have to move it. lol - you'll either be pushing 4 inches or 8, on a regular basis... it moves just as easily. Just push the shovel across the driveway and it'll move. <inserting a funny observation> I crack up to see people shoveling snow in the south, bending over repeatedly. THAT IS a lot of work. lol - just push it. It's faster and unless you have a foot of heavy, wet snow, it won't be hard at all.

Old 02-26-2010, 03:12 PM

5 posts, read 14,124 times
come on down to Otisco Lake! the water is clean, the people freindly, the snow not too bad..

and plenty of property around.. and the marina has the greatest people running it..

if he like ice fishing we have that too, not far from the city and yet away from the rush of it all..

but then I am a bit biased. :>)

Old 02-26-2010, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otisco man View Post
come on down to Otisco Lake! the water is clean, the people freindly, the snow not too bad..

and plenty of property around.. and the marina has the greatest people running it..

if he like ice fishing we have that too, not far from the city and yet away from the rush of it all..

but then I am a bit biased. :>)
I forgot about Otisco Lake. It is a hidden gem.

Old 02-26-2010, 05:23 PM

Thanks! So there is a marina on that lake? He would LOVE to keep his boat somewhere so that he didn't have to drag it down on the trailer whenever he wants to go fishing (everyday lol). What would the price be for that? He is also BIG into ice fishing too, so that lake sounds great!

Old 02-26-2010, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *~Kim~* View Post
Thanks! So there is a marina on that lake? He would LOVE to keep his boat somewhere so that he didn't have to drag it down on the trailer whenever he wants to go fishing (everyday lol). What would the price be for that? He is also BIG into ice fishing too, so that lake sounds great!
Otisco Lake Marina, Marietta, NY

Oneida Lake Marina: Home

Riverforest Park - Visit the Seneca River near Syracuse and Auburn, New York

Welcome to Cross Lake Marina Come to where the fun is!

Skaneateles Marina

Home at Marion Manor Marina - Oneida Nation Enterprises

Callahan's Marina - Oneida Lake - Boat Sales and Slips

Cooper's Marina Inc (http://www.coopersmarina.com/index.html - broken link)

Brewerton Boatyards, Inc. (http://www.brewertonboatyard.com/brewerton/ - broken link)

South Shore Marina on Owasco Lake

Winter Harbor - Warm Winter Boat Storage

Holmes Marina, Inc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area