Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 11:40 AM

93,168 posts, read 123,783,345 times

Advertisements

What is a hidden gem in the area that you feel residents overlook? You can mention more than one thing, if you like to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 01:12 PM

2,440 posts, read 5,757,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What is a hidden gem in the area that you feel residents overlook? You can mention more than one thing, if you like to.
Upper Onondaga Park, in Strathmore.

Gypsy Bay (swimming in shallow water with no crowds), Lorenzo Mansion events and the farmers' market - the entire village, really - in Cazenovia.

Cultural events in area parks.

Tinker Falls.

And other every-day things that people don't slow down enough to see... or have hardened to. Enjoying our weather and landscape, year round.

Old 03-14-2012, 01:45 PM

Good ones, proulx. Meant for the title of the thread to say Hidden gems.....

I thought of: the Mission Restaurant and the history of the church it is in, Joseph F. William park and beach in Cicero, Lakes like Green, Tully, Song and Crooked just west of I-81 and the village of Tully(aka the Tully Lakes) and the E. M. Mills Rose Garden in Thornden Park.

Old 03-14-2012, 02:26 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,864,912 times
Rosamond Giffard Zoo (great zoo and resource), historically significant buildings downtown (people tend to take them for granted, despite all the conversions), beaver lake nature center, Green lakes, Rose Garden at Thornden Park, Everson Museum of Art (community asset designed by IM Pei), regional market, Country Kitchen Diner on Teall Avenue (not sure if it is still there, great breakfasts).

Old 03-14-2012, 02:58 PM

2,440 posts, read 5,757,375 times
Not-so-hidden gem. The Erie Canal Museum/Lock- the only remaining weighlock in the United States... in the original building, IN the canal, with glass walls around the boat, which you can GO ON and tour. FREE. http://eriecanalmuseum.org/ Why don't more people go there? SO cool. So is the Onondaga Historical Museum. I love wandering through there, when I have time to kill.

St. Marie Among the Iroquois. The Salt Museum in the park. Also original.

Last edited by proulxfamily; 03-14-2012 at 03:15 PM..

Old 03-14-2012, 07:30 PM

3,168 posts, read 5,524,481 times
Onondaga Lake Park, but that's not really "hidden."

Don't know if this counts - but the close-knitt-ness of people in the various Villages. They tend to always look out for each other. As most of you know, I'm in the Village of Liverpool. My neighbor across the street frequently helps us snowblow our driveway when all we have are shovels. My next door neighbor who I didn't meet until recently, tapped the big maple tree in my yard and is giving me some maple syrup as a "thank you" when he's all done with it. I can leave my doors/windows open and unlocked and never be fearful of anything happening to my apt. It's easy to strike up conversations with random people at our neighborhood stores.

Old 03-14-2012, 07:30 PM

Baltimore Woods in Marcellus, Clark Reservation in Jamesville, the Manlius Art Cinema, Oswego sunsets over Lake Ontario and Oz-Stravaganza in Chittenango.

Old 03-20-2012, 09:20 AM

1,544 posts, read 3,619,001 times
In no particular order:

1.) Hamlets of Fairmount/Westvale (Western suburbs of Syracuse) - reasonable cost of living, easy commute to city, excellent schools, real sense of community, close to retail

2.) Pratt's Falls, Pompey
Pratts Falls
Pratt's Falls Park » Onondaga County Parks

3.) Webster Pond, South Valley neighborhood in Syracuse
WELCOME TO WEBSTER POND"NATURE'S BEST KEPT SECRET
City of Syracuse - Department of Parks, Recreation & Youth Programs

4.) Winkworth Neighborhoood, Syracuse
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ba...ed=0CB8Q8gEwAA

5.) Four Seasons Golf and Ski Center, Fayetteville (smallest downhill ski slope in U.S)
Welcome to Four Seasons Golf and Ski Center

6.) Chittenango Falls; Cazenovia (town)
Chittenango Falls State Park - NYS Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation

7.) Glen Loch Inn, Jamesville
History Glen Loch Mill Restaurant & Catering Co. (http://www.glenloch.net/History.html - broken link)

8.) Camillus Erie Canal Park and Historic Sims General Store, Camillus
:: CAMILLUS ERIE CANAL PARK ::
Camillus Erie Canal Park

9.) Hamlet of Manadana, Skaneateles (town) - low key area without traffic and perceived pretension; on Skaneateles Lake

10.) Otisco Lake, Otisco

11.) Selkirk Shores, Richland (near Pulaski)
Selkirk Shores State Park - NYS Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation

12.) Cross Lake (several townships in northwestern Onondaga County and neighboring Cayuga County)
Finger Lakes, New York | Cross Lake |Tourism, Travel, and Recreational Information

13.) Pass Arboretum, Tipperary Hill neighorhood in Syracuse
Park Greening Along Avery Ave at Pass Arboretum | Save The Rain
James Pass Arboretum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

14.) Arlington section of Eastwood, Syracuse
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ba...ed=0CB8Q8gEwAA

Old 03-20-2012, 09:46 AM

1,538 posts, read 2,615,386 times
Auburn Movie Theaters are my choice for hidden gems. They are like stepping into a time machine. The drive in theater is great on a Saturday night and the prices are unbeatable. Then there is the theater inside the Fingerlakes Mall and one next to the Tractor Supply. both haven't seen an update for at least 30 years. Sure they are run down, but it there is a certain charm to both of them.

Old 03-20-2012, 10:23 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,524,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
Auburn Movie Theaters are my choice for hidden gems. They are like stepping into a time machine. The drive in theater is great on a Saturday night and the prices are unbeatable. Then there is the theater inside the Fingerlakes Mall and one next to the Tractor Supply. both haven't seen an update for at least 30 years. Sure they are run down, but it there is a certain charm to both of them.
If you like old movie theatres and are ever up in Old Forge, go check out The Strand. It's an old theatre (super cheap prices) that has all sorts of old movies memorabilia... ancient video cameras/picture cameras, old movie posters, old film rolls. It's REALLY cool and the owner is awesome. Make sure you say hi to their rescue Husky, Noah, who is normally hanging out near the entrance

http://strandoldforge.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area