Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 10:33 AM

93,398 posts, read 124,052,832 times

Advertisements

Good choices Rolls. Solvay's Piercefield area north of West Genesee Street comes to mind. Elmwood Park: City of Syracuse - Department of Parks, Recreation & Youth Programs

Peterboro: Smithfield Community Association, Peterboro New York ~ Welcome

Hamilton(in general): Village of Hamilton - Welcome to Hamilton New York

Lake Neatahwanta in Fulton: http://www.city-data.com/picfilesv/picv15669.php
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 11:01 AM

1,544 posts, read 3,621,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Good choices Rolls. Solvay's Piercefield area north of West Genesee Street comes to mind. Elmwood Park: City of Syracuse - Department of Parks, Recreation & Youth Programs

Peterboro: Smithfield Community Association, Peterboro New York ~ Welcome

Hamilton(in general): Village of Hamilton - Welcome to Hamilton New York

Lake Neatahwanta in Fulton: http://www.city-data.com/picfilesv/picv15669.php

You read my mind on Lake Neatahwanta. I was looking for a good picture of the gazebo and pier just off Route 3 and couldn't find any shots that did it justice. Piercefield is a very nice area as well and reminds me of some of the affluent neighborhoods in outside major northeast and midwest cities.

Old 03-20-2012, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
Auburn Movie Theaters are my choice for hidden gems. They are like stepping into a time machine. The drive in theater is great on a Saturday night and the prices are unbeatable. Then there is the theater inside the Fingerlakes Mall and one next to the Tractor Supply. both haven't seen an update for at least 30 years. Sure they are run down, but it there is a certain charm to both of them.
Oswego's theater is the same way. It is a big theater that has been split up into a 4 screen theater.

I've heard the same thing about the Hollywood theater in Mattydale. They are cheap in terms of ticket prices and popcorn supposedly too.

Old 03-20-2012, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce View Post
You read my mind on Lake Neatahwanta. I was looking for a good picture of the gazebo and pier just off Route 3 and couldn't find any shots that did it justice. Piercefield is a very nice area as well and reminds me of some of the affluent neighborhoods in outside major northeast and midwest cities.
Piercefield is overlooked big time and is on par with any of the nicer neighborhoods in the area, in spite of being in blue collar Solvay. Very much an old money neighborhood.

That part of Fulton west of the river actually isn't that bad, for the most part. I would sometimes take Route 48 on my way to Oswego. Battle Island State Park, Midway Drive In theater and Thunder Island Amusement Park are off Route 48 near that part of Fulton.

Battle Island State Park - NYS Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation

Welcome to Thunder Island!

Midway Drive-in Theatre

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 03-20-2012 at 11:39 AM..

Old 03-20-2012, 11:51 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,760,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
Auburn Movie Theaters are my choice for hidden gems. They are like stepping into a time machine. The drive in theater is great on a Saturday night and the prices are unbeatable. Then there is the theater inside the Fingerlakes Mall and one next to the Tractor Supply. both haven't seen an update for at least 30 years. Sure they are run down, but it there is a certain charm to both of them.
HAMILTON MOVIE THEATER - Movies, Film Series, Opera, Special Events & More

Pretty cool place, if you ever happen to be out that way. It's always been the movie theater, there, and it's kept updated.

Old 03-20-2012, 03:00 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,633,582 times
Quote:
Piercefield is overlooked big time and is on par with any of the nicer neighborhoods in the area, in spite of being in blue collar Solvay. Very much an old money neighborhood.

That part of Fulton west of the river actually isn't that bad, for the most part. I would sometimes take Route 48 on my way to Oswego. Battle Island State Park, Midway Drive In theater and Thunder Island Amusement Park are off Route 48 near that part of Fulton.

Battle Island State Park - NYS Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation

Welcome to Thunder Island!

Midway Drive-in Theatre
When I lived in Oswego I played golf many times at Battle Island aka BI.

If you want some good grub go here Rudy's Lakeside | Open 7 Days A Week Summer hours 11am – 11pm I pigged out there many times after hitting the bars. While some may think its only for college kids, that's far from being true.

I did attend SUNY-Oswego, but went to Rudy's many times as a non-student.

Old 03-20-2012, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
When I lived in Oswego I played golf many times at Battle Island aka BI.

If you want some good grub go here Rudy's Lakeside | Open 7 Days A Week Summer hours 11am – 11pm I pigged out there many times after hitting the bars. While some may think its only for college kids, that's far from being true.

I did attend SUNY-Oswego, but went to Rudy's many times as a non-student.
Yes sir and don't forget to get ice cream at Bev's down the street after. Great location to check out a stunning sunset off of Lake Ontario too.

There have been times I've driven up there to get a Garofalo's half loaf sandwich and sat by the river or at Brietbeck Park to eat and check out the scenery.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 03-20-2012 at 06:44 PM..

Old 03-20-2012, 10:59 PM

715 posts, read 2,510,298 times
Rudy's and Bev's actually just opened last week, which is quite early. The exceptional weather has many students opting to eat out here rather than in the dining hall - our counts are down the past two days. The Red Sun in Oswego is also quite good. As is Fajita Grill. Prefer Chipotle, but it isn't a bad alternative.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:47 AM

5,706 posts, read 9,633,582 times
Quote:
Yes sir and don't forget to get ice cream at Bev's down the street after. Great location to check out a stunning sunset off of Lake Ontario too.

There have been times I've driven up there to get a Garofalo's half loaf sandwich and sat by the river or at Brietbeck Park to eat and check out the scenery.
Next time you get to Oswego you might want to stop in this family owned place Bosco & Geers

They have really good meats and sandwiches. I know the family that runs it very well. Great people. They've been supplying Rudy's with their beef for decades.

Old 03-21-2012, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
Next time you get to Oswego you might want to stop in this family owned place Bosco & Geers

They have really good meats and sandwiches. I know the family that runs it very well. Great people. They've been supplying Rudy's with their beef for decades.
Thanks for the tip. I've never heard of the place when I was going to school up there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area