Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 08:06 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,526,158 times

Advertisements

So a close girl friend of mine and her boyfriend are moving to Syracuse sometime in late December/early-mid January. He got a job through SU - something to do with veterans schooling. They are relocating from Tallahassee FL - I've known the girl for somewhere around 6 or 7 years. The boyfriend was up here last week for interviews and I took him through downtown and to grab food/beer at Empire

Anyway, I'm trying to help them find a place. They want to be close-ish to downtown but cannot afford the high prices of the upscale lofts. Their max rent is $900/$1000 (obviously the cheaper the better) and they would like a 2+ bedroom house or flat (no apt complexes). They do have a small dog as well.

She sent me this listing this morning. I'm not too familiar with Little Italy but I do believe it's generally ok. My main concern is that it's the corner of Prospect and Butternut and I know Butternut is typically a really bad street. Any thoughts?

Unique Rental Opportunity (http://syracuse.craigslist.org/apa/2667228466.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2011, 08:12 AM

580 posts, read 1,173,467 times
That's rather fringe-y. Probably not "bad," per se, but better neighborhoods exist. Then again, I have a friend who lives in Nettleton Commons, about two blocks from there, who loves the neighborhood.

And by no small coincidence, your friend and I share a mutual friend; my girlfriend works for the veterans' institute (which is under a year old and very small) and mentioned the new hire last week. Congrats to him.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Park View Post
That's rather fringe-y. Probably not "bad," per se, but better neighborhoods exist. Then again, I have a friend who lives in Nettleton Commons, about two blocks from there, who loves the neighborhood.

And by no small coincidence, your friend and I share a mutual friend; my girlfriend works for the veterans' institute (which is under a year old and very small) and mentioned the new hire last week. Congrats to him.
That's what I thought - I told her they could be fine in that area but really there is no telling. I had a previous friend that lived 2 blocks up on McBride and that was perfectly fine. It's mainly a crime issue, correct?

Ha that's awesome!!! What a small world! He's super excited about the position - he basically started the program at FSU and could've stayed there, but that was really more on a local level. He felt that SU was definitely moving grounds on more of a national level.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:45 AM

93,292 posts, read 123,898,066 times
They should be fine in that area of Butternut, as it is right by St. Joe's Hospital, Little Italy and Downtown. It's a gritty area, but tends to be more busy and the Prospect Hill area has been encouraged by St. Joe's as an area for its employees to live. Butternut gets suspect from around Lodi up to about 1st North Street. At the bottom of the hill around Catherine can look suspect in parts as well. There's a plaza with some restaurants and a Sav-A-Lot. Wegmans is at the corner of 1st North and Pond. You also have things on North Salina Street as well.

Another place that might work is Walier Lofts on North Salina. The Sutton Companies | Walier Lofts

They might find something here too: Downtown Syracuse

Old 11-08-2011, 09:05 AM

Thank you!!! I've forwarded this on to them

Old 11-08-2011, 01:51 PM

I'm going to go check out the place in Little Italy for them this weekend hopefully - need to coordinate with the landlord. I'll definitely try to walk around a block or two just so I can get a feel for the area and let them know my thoughts.

Old 11-08-2011, 02:15 PM

Here's more on the area: Prospect Hill

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...uqnloZ7G_zEE-w

Old 11-08-2011, 02:39 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,616,050 times
That neighborhood is very hit or miss. I looked at a place 5 blocks from there and there was no way. Had it been 5 blocks in the other direction, I would have been fine with it.

I am partial to Solvay for cheap rentals. It is close to the city, but leans more towards a suburb feel.

Old 11-08-2011, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Perfect, thank you! I sent these links on to them

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
That neighborhood is very hit or miss. I looked at a place 5 blocks from there and there was no way. Had it been 5 blocks in the other direction, I would have been fine with it.

I am partial to Solvay for cheap rentals. It is close to the city, but leans more towards a suburb feel.
Solvay... really?? I told them to steer clear of Solvay. I really wanted them to move to the Village of Liverpool so we could be neighbors, but the boyfriend really wanted to be within walking distance of downtown. He really took a liking to the downtown areas when I was driving him through there

Old 11-08-2011, 06:28 PM

After looking at where it is on Prospect, I'd probably go for it. It is a block from St. Joe's and Little Italy/North Salina Street. Downtown is a few blocks away and there are plenty of restaurants close by. It is right behind HSBC Bank and next to the Open Hand Theater.

East Syracuse is another suburban village with affordable rentals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area