Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Subaru
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2023, 11:53 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times

Advertisements

You cannot use the touch screen without looking at it but the icons are big and easy to spot if you do need to use them. There are also voice commands that only require touching a switch on the steering wheel, and those don't require looking away from the road.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2023, 12:01 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,969,723 times
To the above, according to the Net, "Mysubaru" is an App. How many of the things on the screen are Apps? What does the screen look like if you don't use Apps?

Old 12-15-2023, 12:08 PM

15,407 posts, read 7,468,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
To the above, according to the Net, "Mysubaru" is an App. How many of the things on the screen are Apps? What does the screen look like if you don't use Apps?
All of those are essentially apps. However, My wife pretty much uses the radio and the maps and that's it. And mostly just the radio. I would have to go look at her car to see what pops up on the screen after selecting the radio.

On the plus side, Subaru's choices on the instrument cluster are pretty good. You can show all of the tire pressures, gas mileage, miles remaining to empty and some others. There's also a speed limit icon that appears.

Old 12-15-2023, 12:10 PM

7,492 posts, read 3,223,452 times
I'm sorry. I like my radio knobs. I'll be keeping my 15 year old car another 10.

Old 12-15-2023, 12:44 PM

1,489 posts, read 791,580 times
I second the Jeep Wrangler!

Old 12-15-2023, 01:01 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
Quote:
If you are considering a Subaru, call the dealer and ask for an appointment with their tech person. When we bought ours they spend an hour going over everything. Hopefully if you are a potential buyer and that concerns you they would go over it to help you make up your mind.

Old 12-16-2023, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
All of those are essentially apps. However, My wife pretty much uses the radio and the maps and that's it. And mostly just the radio. I would have to go look at her car to see what pops up on the screen after selecting the radio.

On the plus side, Subaru's choices on the instrument cluster are pretty good. You can show all of the tire pressures, gas mileage, miles remaining to empty and some others. There's also a speed limit icon that appears.
OK, I drove the Subaru this morning. The radio screen shows all of your presets, across band and including Sirius. Once you've chosen a station, you can change the volume on the steering wheel with a toggle that moves up or down. I think you can switch between presets there as well. It's all pretty simple once you learn the controls you want to use.

Old 12-16-2023, 01:13 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,969,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
OK, I drove the Subaru this morning. The radio screen shows all of your presets, across band and including Sirius. Once you've chosen a station, you can change the volume on the steering wheel with a toggle that moves up or down. I think you can switch between presets there as well. It's all pretty simple once you learn the controls you want to use.
SI-GH!

When I was shopping at the turn of the century for my first Subaru, they had all these fancy sound packages......and I wasn't interested in them. I was shopping for a car to take me out in the field and back, not a sound studio. My feelings have not changed about that.

What's Sirius? All I want is FM/AM, Jack FM, Majik, the Eagle, things like that. I will listen to what they are playing and if all are doing their commercials at the same time, then I will turn the radio off for a spell.

I guess the big question is......how much of the standard car is a luxury package that I have no interest in......what, how much of that, am I paying for?

Finally.........where do I fit the CB radio?

Old 12-16-2023, 07:49 PM

12,384 posts, read 9,483,835 times
Quote:
SI-GH!

When I was shopping at the turn of the century for my first Subaru, they had all these fancy sound packages......and I wasn't interested in them. I was shopping for a car to take me out in the field and back, not a sound studio. My feelings have not changed about that.

What's Sirius? All I want is FM/AM, Jack FM, Majik, the Eagle, things like that. I will listen to what they are playing and if all are doing their commercials at the same time, then I will turn the radio off for a spell.

I guess the big question is......how much of the standard car is a luxury package that I have no interest in......what, how much of that, am I paying for?

Sirius XM is a subscription based radio. It's a nationwide offering that's broadcast via satellite. I think it's been around for over 20 years, so it's had some success, but it hasn't displaced old school AM/FM radio.

Old 12-16-2023, 09:53 PM

Quote:
SI-GH!

Sirius XM is satellite radio. It has a bunch of channels that each play one kind of music. If you like 50's music, there's a channel for that. Classic rock? There's a channel for that. And, the signal doesn't disappear when you drive far from home.

I have to believe that the touch screens are cheaper than having dedicated controls for many features. As for radios, they are all pretty much one chip these days that covers all the bases, radio, satellite, GPS, etc, etc.

Your best bet is to go to the nearest Subaru dealer and ask these questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Subaru