Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Subaru
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2023, 05:31 PM

12,384 posts, read 9,483,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Well, of all things, when it comes to cars, I am not much of a people person. Maybe someone, sometime in shotgun but usually, it is pets and cargo......which is one thing about the taller Forester. I weekly get the trash bin the 100 yards to the road by upending and sticking it in the back of the Forester (lid bungy cord shut).

Do you think such is possible with the Outback? Or hauling multiple pet taxis?
Crosstrek isn't in my future. The commercial, "Welcome to the Pack", looks nice but it also shows that the Crosstrek is a beginning couple's car with one, maybe two medium dogs, but not my life.
Understood - but Brightdog was mentioning the upcoming Forester hybrid system - and the only other hybrid system they've had was offered in the Crosstrek, and it was not an attractive system, so I was saying that I hope the next hybrid system is better than the last one..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2023, 04:41 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,969,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
Yeah, I think she should at least test drive a 4 runner. I think she's tall enough.

I think she is just used to the Subaru product.
And maybe I will.,,,,,,,BUT we are now in the Subaru forum, not the open research project, so I really can't talk much about that prospect.....won't talk about that prospect here. Off topic, wrong forum.

I like the point about the height of eye with the Forester. I had not thought of that and it is data like that which I need for people to bring to the table.........

.......even if it is about 6 foot plus boytoys (maybe not in the car itself, probably have to get a car tent for such worlds).
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
Off-topic, but curious: why buy a Subaru rather than, e.g., an all-wheel-drive Toyota?
What's the point of having AWD that's always on, when you don't need it most of the time?
Even if you live in a snowy place, there isn't snow on the ground all year.
I will only address this answer from the Subaru aspect because that is the forum we are in.

I'm a Cowgirl, not a city girl and I drive much of the time where AWD is needed. For instance, I went out to a Renfest and there was parking up front but only for 4WD and almost all up there were pickup trucks. The gate guard took one look at the Forester, Subaru-AWD, and put me up there, too.

Or at the time I bought the Forester, I lived in an apartment complex where the only way in and out was frequently flooded out. One of the possible alternatives I was thinking about, never did, but thinking was to jump the curb and go out thru the grass and mud next to the complex.

That's my life, that's what I face.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 12-15-2023 at 04:56 AM..

Old 12-15-2023, 05:46 AM

9,439 posts, read 5,201,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Not mentioned prior is the visibility factor as I found the Forester's side and rear visibility noticeably better and looking forward, a slightly higher view of the road in front of you.
Visibility was a big factor for a friend in the Cross-Trek. He was tall and said peripheral site lines weren't good for him. He sold that a bought a Honda truck (forget the model).

Old 12-15-2023, 06:08 AM

27,182 posts, read 43,876,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
Visibility was a big factor for a friend in the Cross-Trek. He was tall and said peripheral site lines weren't good for him. He sold that a bought a Honda truck (forget the model).
Honda Ridgeline, a very nice choice!

Old 12-15-2023, 06:39 AM

220 posts, read 115,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
Off-topic, but curious: why buy a Subaru rather than, e.g., an all-wheel-drive Toyota?
What's the point of having AWD that's always on, when you don't need it most of the time?
Even if you live in a snowy place, there isn't snow on the ground all year.
I was in CA and was surprised at the number of Subarus. Bit of an odd choice for that climate.

I will say that I had a '16 Forester. Stripped. Manual transmission. The AWD system in these subarus ranked second only to the Audi or BMW systems. With clearance = a jeep wrangler, with the traction control switched off, and with good snow tires, the Forester was simply incredible on lumber roads with snow. Other-worldly capable.

Shame it burned a quart every 1,200 miles at 125K. They told me that was in spec.

Old 12-15-2023, 09:57 AM

What can you tell me about the Touch Screen (for someone who has never used one in a car)? How much is it involved in driving, how much attention does it take away from driving, is it something like a cell phone and requiring that much attention, etc, etc, etc..

Old 12-15-2023, 10:35 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
I find that for changing the radio stations it's easier than the old pushbutton ones, because it shows an icon for all of you saved AM, FM and Sirius channels. I turn off the autostop first thing before starting and that's on the "Home" screen. About the only other screen item used is for the climate control. There are also buttons next to the screen for increasing or decreasing the temperature, turning on front and/or rear defrost.

The other menu options are best done while parked, unless the passenger does them. Everything else you need while driving is on the steering wheel controls and small driver's screen. Unless needing navigation and connecting the phone for Apple Carplay I will just hit the map button and usually never pay any attention to the touch screen again. Again, the alerts on the small driver's screen and the "Heads Up" display provide the Eyesight assist alerts, like "Lane Departure" or "Car ahead has moved" when the light changes to green and you don't move.

Old 12-15-2023, 10:55 AM

My Forester is 20+ years old. Had the major valve job done, the CVT axles replaced, and the same story for the catalytic converter.

What is the crucial fail element for a Forester? What can instead repair/replace, keep a 20 year car going as oppose to buying a new 40 grand car.....especially since it may be so "high tech" that I don't want it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I find that for changing the radio stations it's easier than the old pushbutton ones, because it shows an icon for all of you saved AM, FM and Sirius channels. I turn off the autostop first thing before starting and that's on the "Home" screen. About the only other screen item used is for the climate control. There are also buttons next to the screen for increasing or decreasing the temperature, turning on front and/or rear defrost.

The other menu options are best done while parked, unless the passenger does them. Everything else you need while driving is on the steering wheel controls and small driver's screen. Unless needing navigation and connecting the phone for Apple Carplay I will just hit the map button and usually never pay any attention to the touch screen again. Again, the alerts on the small driver's screen and the "Heads Up" display provide the Eyesight assist alerts, like "Lane Departure" or "Car ahead has moved" when the light changes to green and you don't move.
As I said, for someone who has never used one.......so much of what you are saying, I do not understand. Can you translate?

As far as one icon for it all being better than the old pushbutton, let me put it to you this way.

This is what the engine controls for a Mooney 201 look like:
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...5ae76a7993.jpg

Each one has a different feel to it so you don't have to look at it. If you want to use something on the touch screen, which these days sounds like everything, do you have to look at it?

Old 12-15-2023, 11:13 AM

7,492 posts, read 3,223,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
My Forester is 20+ years old. Had the major valve job done, the CVT axles replaced, and the same story for the catalytic converter.

What is the crucial fail element for a Forester? What can instead repair/replace, keep a 20 year car going as oppose to buying a new 40 grand car.....especially since it may be so "high tech" that I don't want it?

As I said, for someone who has never used one.......so much of what you are saying, I do not understand. Can you translate?

As far as one icon for it all being better than the old pushbutton, let me put it to you this way.

This is what the engine controls for a Mooney 201 look like:
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...5ae76a7993.jpg

Each one has a different feel to it so you don't have to look at it. If you want to use something on the touch screen, which these days sounds like everything, do you have to look at it?

Probably the Jeep Wrangler is one of the least technologically advanced vehicles nowadays. I'm with you on that issue. If I could have gotten manual windows on my car in 2008 I would have. Everything they put on cars that is non-essential and computerized has the capacity to break down and cost big bucks to repair.

Old 12-15-2023, 11:36 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,012,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
The other menu options are best done while parked, unless the passenger does them. Everything else you need while driving is on the steering wheel controls and small driver's screen. ... the alerts on the small driver's screen and the "Heads Up" display provide the Eyesight assist alerts, like "Lane Departure" or "Car ahead has moved" when the light changes to green and you don't move.
As a pilot techy (conventional), you might appreciate the steering wheel controls. (once you figure them out)

It's unlikely anything new will last the 20 yrs of faithful service you have out of current Forester.

But since it is your 'go to' / runabout, and you have a spare truck... (worth preserving). I would keep old faithful running while reasonable (I use $0.10 / future mile when calculating maint / service costs) a $1000 repair needs to get me 10,000 more miles down the road. But as as single rural dweller you need (1) vehicle that is very dependable, and you can drive at night / rack up a pile of miles if required... So keep your eyes open for a low mileage used Forester from retirees who are too soon to be deceased. Then you run the next Forester to 200-300k miles and rinse and repeat. But... eventually you will end up with a electronics / plastic car that is a 'throw-away' when it becomes troublesome.

BTW: Jeeps can be troublesome.... (but are generally more rugged (at a price). You have a truck, so you have that need covered.

Just get a car you can stand to drive, and not fear to replace (when needed / required). It's a Commodity item.

BTW#2; I often rent cars when I have a road trip to make. I would rather wear out someone else's depreciable item than my own. I've been known to put over 5000 miles / week on a ($5/ day) rental car.

Gone are the days of $5/day, but I did just rent for $22 / day. That's still pretty cheap for unlimited miles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Subaru