Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Subaru
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2023, 02:49 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times

Advertisements

How long does the "current" Subaru last? They're current. How long they'll last is like asking how long an individual person will live...it's anyone's guess until after they're dead, but at that point they can't come back to tell you. At least with a piece of machinery someone can. Just have to wait.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2023, 02:57 PM

4,542 posts, read 3,741,311 times
I sure hope so, because it's a shame new cars are so expensive and last less than the vehicles of the previous generations. You can get a new Forester for around 33-35k so you would hope that can go 150k+ and 10+ years without breaking the bank.

Old 07-24-2023, 02:59 PM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
I've had a '97 legacy sedan for 9 years. It has 159K miles and is a great car, wouldn't be surprised if it outlasts me. That's provided undercarriage doesn't rust out. So far, so good. It originally came from Oregon.

I hired a pro shop to replace timing belt. I've done brakes and a couple sensors on it. Coolant temp sensor went bad, making it hard to start when warm. Front CV axles have been replaced. Rear wheel bearings can go bad, making a pronounced humming sound at highway speed. These cars don't need much help to keep going.

Old 07-24-2023, 04:18 PM

45,336 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Universe93B View Post
I sure hope so, because it's a shame new cars are so expensive and last less than the vehicles of the previous generations. You can get a new Forester for around 33-35k so you would hope that can go 150k+ and 10+ years without breaking the bank.
The ones today outlast previous generations across all makes. It's more than doubled, both in miles and age, since the 1970's.

Old 07-24-2023, 04:34 PM

12,377 posts, read 9,473,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
The ones today outlast previous generations across all makes. It's more than doubled, both in miles and age, since the 1970's.
At least up north, where they use a lot of salt on the roads in winter, cars used to have rust perforated fenders by 100k miles. Early 1990s was when automakers in the US began to use galvanized steel body panels pioneered by the Japanese in the late 1980s.

Old 07-24-2023, 04:40 PM

17,567 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post

Oh yeah.. if you were LUCKY.. You'd get to 100k on a 70's vehicle. Well, except for Toyotas. That's where they built their reputation.. But.. Everyone's kinda caught up to them now. Of course.. In the 70's a new car could go for $2k.. I actually kinda wonder, if you had to put an engine in a car in the 70's.. Was it worthwhile? Did people just buy a new car when the engine or transmission went out because they were (relatively) so cheap?

Nowadays, you're apt to not even have a single problem outside of routine maintenance before 100k. My last vehicle was a 4 cylinder Chevy Colorado.. I put 270k on the clock before I gave it up. And if you do have a problem before 100k.. People think the vehicle sucks. Hell, on my new vehicle, which si an '18 Colorado.. I'm just now needing brake pads.. At 108k miles!

Old 07-24-2023, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Oh yeah.. if you were LUCKY.. You'd get to 100k on a 70's vehicle. Well, except for Toyotas. That's where they built their reputation.. But.. Everyone's kinda caught up to them now. Of course.. In the 70's a new car could go for $2k.. I actually kinda wonder, if you had to put an engine in a car in the 70's.. Was it worthwhile? Did people just buy a new car when the engine or transmission went out because they were (relatively) so cheap?

Nowadays, you're apt to not even have a single problem outside of routine maintenance before 100k. My last vehicle was a 4 cylinder Chevy Colorado.. I put 270k on the clock before I gave it up. And if you do have a problem before 100k.. People think the vehicle sucks. Hell, on my new vehicle, which si an '18 Colorado.. I'm just now needing brake pads.. At 108k miles!
"Cheap" was relative. Yes, you could get a new car for $2000 in 1970 but it was a bare bones one. Compare "base" model 1970 to "base model 2020. ABS, radio, airbags, EFI, power brakes and steering, most likely power windows, automatic, etc.

Now, some of the above is due to legislative fiat.

Old 07-24-2023, 08:14 PM

11,294 posts, read 18,872,835 times
Had a 2000 Subaru Outback until 2021 when it finally died at 260K miles. That car was quite a beater!

Replaced it with a 2018 Impreza Hatchback that only had 5K miles on it at the time. Only repair so far is this month I finally needed new tires and brakes (has 45K now.....my commute is 40 miles each way). So crossing my fingers.

Old 07-25-2023, 08:36 AM

1,586 posts, read 1,127,290 times
Friends of mine bought a Subaru Accent. Honestly, I would not buy one based on the comments they make. They say they love it and would buy it again, but to me, they are in the shop a lot for a vehicle that is only a few years old. My Toyotas don't go through that. Transmission and brakes It seems they are always taking it into the shop. They are on their third battery too. A lot of it has been covered under warranty so they have been fortunate, but would rather my vehicle sit in my driveway than in the shop as much as they do.

Old 07-25-2023, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Loud View Post
Friends of mine bought a Subaru Accent. Honestly, I would not buy one based on the comments they make. They say they love it and would buy it again, but to me, they are in the shop a lot for a vehicle that is only a few years old. My Toyotas don't go through that. Transmission and brakes It seems they are always taking it into the shop. They are on their third battery too. A lot of it has been covered under warranty so they have been fortunate, but would rather my vehicle sit in my driveway than in the shop as much as they do.
The early Ascents had a lot of problems with the CVT, it wasn't robust enough to handle the weight of the vehicle. That's supposedly now been worked out on the newer models.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Subaru