Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 04:58 PM

22 posts, read 84,434 times

Advertisements

Sounds like a nice place, mellow and not that expensive for being so close to the coast.

[URL removed]

Last edited by suzco; 04-02-2008 at 10:38 AM..

Old 03-04-2008, 09:25 AM

3 posts, read 9,481 times
Default I need your advice too!

I'm moving to St. Stephen, SC and I found a great deal on a home and some land...People are really laughing at me because of how small the town is and how there is nothing there...What is your opinion?

Old 03-04-2008, 09:36 AM

168 posts, read 695,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallFamily View Post
I'm moving to St. Stephen, SC and I found a great deal on a home and some land...People are really laughing at me because of how small the town is and how there is nothing there...What is your opinion?
Who cares what other people think. Are you happy with your purchase? Are you ready to move?

Old 03-04-2008, 08:08 PM

1,710 posts, read 5,687,384 times
Quote:
Sorry if you took my reply as laughing. I was just wondering how you decided to move to St Stephen from Sacramento? When DH and I got married 22 yrs ago we moved about 20 miles from there and our doctor was in St Stephen so I am familiar with the area. My opinion, it's not an area I would want to be in after dark. There is lots of drug activity around in the area. Good luck with your move.

Old 03-08-2008, 07:48 AM

3 posts, read 11,846 times
Default More about race relations?

My family is considering a move to SC this summer. We are upper-middle class African-Americans from the North. We are wondering how well we would fit in the communites surrounding Columbia. We lived in NC for a few years (about 5 years ago). We saw very few symbols of negative feelings toward minorities. Does anyone know about the state of race relations in SC? Are their towns or places that are stuck in the past?

I hope I am not offending anyone.

Thank you.

Old 03-08-2008, 08:18 AM

22 posts, read 56,270 times
Default Thinking of relocationg from Detroit to South Carolina

Question? I am highly considering moving from Detroit to South Carolina and I have relatives in Columbia and Greenville and they each choose their city as the best to live. Which city would you choose between the two and why? I have a 21 year old in college and a 14 year in high school, I am a African American single female, associates degree, working on bachelors degree in sociology. Any feedback will greatly be appreciated

Old 03-08-2008, 07:15 PM

543 posts, read 2,365,986 times
Quote:
I haven't been to St. Stephen in years! The last time I was even remotely close to that area was when my father owned the little tire store in Jamestown.
Try not to let people discourage you from moving. Every little town in SC has it's negatives and positives.

Old 03-19-2008, 07:21 AM

202 posts, read 716,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat2k View Post
Thought I'd jump in on the discussions and start a post of my own ... SC native and I have lived in Beaufort, Greenville, Irmo, and for a short while stayed in Aiken. I have visited every city just about in SC [Greenville, Columbia, Charleston, Spartanburg, Aiken, Anderson, Florence, Sumter, Laurens, ect, you get the idea...big road trip taker here], and with my jobs in Greenville and Columbia, heard many of the dislikes and likes of the newcomers and people moving away, so maybe I can help some of you that are moving from another state, already in SC and moving somewhere else, or just visiting the state for a vacation. Moved to Brunswick, GA over 2 years ago for career reasons, but still keep up with all of the cities as much as possible and visit family a lot. I know my SC stuff.. I may not be able to help with neighborhoods and exact things like that, but can help with more general things.

Anyway, if anyone has a question about any of the cities in South Carolina, feel free to ask me and I'll try my best to answer.

Oh and ... I'm not a real estate agent or trying to make sales, just trying to help people out and share the information I know.

Hi, We're planning on purchasing a few acres of land within the next year, for retirement in about 10 yrs., in either SC foothills or NC foothills. In your opinion, which state would be a better place to retire to, as far as taxes, economy, low-crime, good healthcare, climate. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!!!

Old 03-20-2008, 04:17 PM

5 posts, read 22,341 times
Question Hoping to move to the Myrtle Beach area and need advice.

We will both be retired and are looking to move to the Myrtle Beach area. We are looking for a quiet, walk-able community, close to opportunities for personal growth, avoiding high traffic areas, and a short trip to the beach. Hoping to find a new home for less than $250,000, preferably less than $200,000. Need advice and comments about different areas that might be best suitable for our needs...away from rental areas. Different information you may know about the different home builders, etc. Feel free to comment to me directly. We would be very appreciative of local, knowledgeable advice. Not looking for a real estage agent.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat2k View Post
Thought I'd jump in on the discussions and start a post of my own ... SC native and I have lived in Beaufort, Greenville, Irmo, and for a short while stayed in Aiken. I have visited every city just about in SC [Greenville, Columbia, Charleston, Spartanburg, Aiken, Anderson, Florence, Sumter, Laurens, ect, you get the idea...big road trip taker here], and with my jobs in Greenville and Columbia, heard many of the dislikes and likes of the newcomers and people moving away, so maybe I can help some of you that are moving from another state, already in SC and moving somewhere else, or just visiting the state for a vacation. Moved to Brunswick, GA over 2 years ago for career reasons, but still keep up with all of the cities as much as possible and visit family a lot. I know my SC stuff.. I may not be able to help with neighborhoods and exact things like that, but can help with more general things.

Anyway, if anyone has a question about any of the cities in South Carolina, feel free to ask me and I'll try my best to answer.

Oh and ... I'm not a real estate agent or trying to make sales, just trying to help people out and share the information I know.

Old 03-21-2008, 06:30 AM

29 posts, read 116,281 times
Default Aiken Communities

Hi SC Native:

I appreciate you sharing your experiences...

My husband and I are thinking of semi-retiring to Aiken, SC. I say semi-retire as we will both be 58 when we move there (my youngest will be a freshman in college) and we would like to leave CT.

Aiken seems like a great town for our needs (smallish, transplants, golf, cultural events, etc).

However, I am confused by all of the communities Cedar Creek, Woodside Plantation, Grayloch, Houndslake.

Of course we will visit but I guess I am asking for some to give me a feel or an idea as to the differences.

Thanks so much
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina