Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 10:05 AM

3 posts, read 33,881 times

Advertisements

is there good jobs there for like salons or landscaping and how much alligators are there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2010, 10:06 AM

3 posts, read 33,881 times
witch is better charleston or hilton head

Old 04-05-2010, 11:11 AM

187 posts, read 980,214 times
Better for what? That is a pretty open ended question...

Old 04-21-2010, 05:45 PM

12 posts, read 75,603 times
Default On or Off....

My hubby and I are planning to move to the area this fall. Because of the hurricane ins. we've decided on off-island. We've been going to the island for the last 25 yrs (2 wk timeshare) and know that the summer months bring MAJOR traffic.

Now the only decision is which community. Since we're over 55, we're considering Sun City.....the older homes, though, since we've heard much negative about Pulte.

Old 04-26-2010, 10:52 AM

187 posts, read 980,214 times
Hmm...research truss issues out at Sun City. I believe they occurred pre-Pulte (when Del Webb was still the developer) and I am not certain if they have all been remedied...

Old 04-26-2010, 11:31 AM

Default Oh ... NO!!!!

Thanks, GJBenn85

I'll definitely check out the date of those truss issues! I thought all the problems came with Pulte!

Maybe we should reconsider moving directly onto the island. Our only concern there is the cost of hurricane insurance.

Old 08-31-2013, 09:02 AM

6 posts, read 16,019 times
Default Reviving This Post

Did you wind up moving to hilton head? I live in new england and am hoping to save up and buy a property there. I just love HHI. I wish I could move now, but my husband has a good job here. Im hoping to buy a place and rent it out (and/or use it for vacations), then retire there in 20yrs (or less!).
I have recently discovered one of the secrets to property values there. Most of the island is in a flood plain, though certain areas are not. There's the map. http://www.hiltonheadislandsc.gov/pu...ps/FIRMMap.pdf Basically the B and C areas on the map are at a much higher elevation, and less likely to flood. I called a RE insurer on HHI recently and was told that the average policy to cover flood/hail/surge in the flood zone is $3k ish. To further complicate the issue, older properties were built unregulated. I think they insurer said that since 1985 anything built had to be built at an elevation above the flood zone, which is the # is parenthesis on the legend. Also, if you don't live on HHI 6 months or more out of the year, your RE tax rate is a lot more (doubled??).
I saw a 'cheap' house I liked online, but then realized the tax plus insurance would be about $7k/yr. Yikes!!
HTH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
I've considered Hilton head for retirement but the discrepancy in RE prices has me scratching my head. prices range from 8 million:

Sea Pines - 5 Bedrooms | 4 Bathrooms | Home for Sale in Hilton Head Island, SC

down to 385k for this very nice looking home:

Shipyard - 3 Bedrooms | 2 Bathrooms | Home for Sale in Hilton Head Island, SC

So what gives? if HHI is such a nice place to live why can you find homes as nice-looking as the latter going for ghetto prices?

Old 08-31-2013, 09:29 AM

Talking Sun City

Because of the hurricane ins cost and also the amount of summer traffic on the island, we moved off island. Our home is in Sun City Hilton Head (55+). There are many beautiful communities here in Bluffton for all ages! We've been here almost 3 years and love it!

Old 09-01-2013, 10:45 AM

90 posts, read 277,565 times
I lived in Hilton Head, in Hilton Head Plantation- for 11 years. Hilton head island is the only place I've lived that I would not return to, ever again. To say that I disliked living there would be an understatement. I relocated to upstate SC 2 years ago, and it's been a positive and refreshing change.

Some of my "cons" for Hilton Head include the following:

traffic
major drug culture that is well-hidden by the local papers to not scare off tourism
not the best place to be a single parent
not the best place to raise a child
weather is absolutely torrid/humid/swampy in the summer
wind & hail, flood and homeowners insurances were exceedingly high
public schools lacking- as the wealthy send their kids to private schools
a high percentage of the very wealthy that obnoxiously make you aware of their "importance"
high cost of living- from gas to groceries to a haircut
Hilton Head overall, is like a microcosm- very out of touch with the outside world

I could go on and on, but I don't want to be negative! Hilton head seems to be a place that people love to vacation at, but I just couldn't handle living there. Moving upstate to Greenville, every single day I say to myself, "I am SO glad that I left Hilton Head". Some days, I say it multiple times. For me, leaving Hilton Head was the best move of my life.

But to each his own, it just was not a good place for me. (I only moved there due to caring for sick parents, when they passed away there was no reason for me to stay living there, in an environment that wasn't good for me)

Old 09-04-2013, 10:49 AM

683 posts, read 464,421 times
I just moved to Bluffton outside of HH about a month ago. I agree that homeowners insurance is crazy high...like 2K. My insurance in Jersey was only about $400 a year. However, I just insured two cars, and the cost is $750 for the year. Yup. In Jersey it would have been at least twice that. The gas is about 20 cents cheaper here than Jersey. Milk prices are higher and so are groceries in general. I've discovered "Walmart"! Yup, me a Jersey girl shopping in Walmart. But their wine prices are GREAT! As are their general food prices.

The one thing I miss about Jersey are Thumans hot dogs and fresh Mozzerella. Can't buy any kind of fresh mozz down here (at least I haven't found anyplace yet....but I keep looking!) Oh, and MY GOSH I miss COSTCO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina