Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 08:56 PM

497 posts, read 1,694,741 times

Advertisements

I was wondering what it's like to actually live in Hilton Head? I just got back from vacationing there and I thought it was absolutely incredible! What are the pros and cons of living there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2009, 09:08 PM

41 posts, read 239,005 times
I don't live there currently, but we have in the past and we loved it. The pro's and con's list, to me, really depends on what you want in a community/place to live and what stage in life you're in. My husband and I are young, have young children, etc. So, for us the pro's were we loved the school our children were in (Hilton Head Christian Academy is EXCELLENT), we loved the weather and being on the beach, there was a lot to do for our kids, and the people were really friendly. We still vacation there extremely often. The cons are the traffic, definitely. Also, it's a popular tourist area (especially in the spring/summer) so that increases the traffic and amount of people there. There also are a lot of retired people and weren't a whole lot of people in our age range (although there were some) and the cost of living is definitely higher then other places. But, overall it's a great place to live.

Old 03-09-2009, 11:18 AM

497 posts, read 1,694,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCouture View Post
I don't live there currently, but we have in the past and we loved it. The pro's and con's list, to me, really depends on what you want in a community/place to live and what stage in life you're in. My husband and I are young, have young children, etc. So, for us the pro's were we loved the school our children were in (Hilton Head Christian Academy is EXCELLENT), we loved the weather and being on the beach, there was a lot to do for our kids, and the people were really friendly. We still vacation there extremely often. The cons are the traffic, definitely. Also, it's a popular tourist area (especially in the spring/summer) so that increases the traffic and amount of people there. There also are a lot of retired people and weren't a whole lot of people in our age range (although there were some) and the cost of living is definitely higher then other places. But, overall it's a great place to live.
Yeah the traffic is terrible but it's still an awesome place!

Old 03-10-2009, 03:37 PM

484 posts, read 1,585,478 times
We lived on Hilton Head, and we loved it.

Pro's- Schools (like the other poster mentioned..Hilton Head Christian Academy is wonderful), close to the beach/warm weather, family-friendly, low crime, lots to do, great environment for our children, friendly people, lots of bike paths/parks, etc.

Con's- Traffic (definitely my number one complaint), no major airport (we travel a lot, and the closest one is over 30 miles away), tourism, possibility of hurricanes, etc.

Overall though, we loved living there. It's a wonderful place for children and families.

Old 03-11-2009, 08:14 AM

187 posts, read 980,958 times
LOL, if you work it is like living in any other place. Work, home, work home, go out to eat, home, work, home, work. The difference is the drive to and from home and work is gorgeous and the weekends offer golf, boating, kayaking, fishing, beach, etc.

The cons are cost of living (though it really is not that much higher than other nice towns in the country and many times is actually less) and the risk of hurricanes. And alligators.

Old 03-15-2009, 08:01 PM

484 posts, read 1,585,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJBenn85 View Post
LOL, if you work it is like living in any other place. Work, home, work home, go out to eat, home, work, home, work. The difference is the drive to and from home and work is gorgeous and the weekends offer golf, boating, kayaking, fishing, beach, etc.

The cons are cost of living (though it really is not that much higher than other nice towns in the country and many times is actually less) and the risk of hurricanes. And alligators.
Yep, I second that.

I forgot about the alligators. I was in shock the first few weeks we lived there at how many alligators were there, and how freely they roam.

Old 03-20-2009, 09:04 AM

1,108 posts, read 4,221,359 times
Cool Vacation Paradise???

Quote:
Originally Posted by brit3218 View Post
I was wondering what it's like to actually live in Hilton Head? I just got back from vacationing there and I thought it was absolutely incredible! What are the pros and cons of living there?
Almost everywhere I have vacationed to......I have considered moving to......the worst was Hawaii...for I truely hated and still do hate...getting on the plane to return home......Hilton Head is another place I have visited and looked into moving to...unfortunately...there is only one bridge in and out...and weekend traffic can be a nightmare...but I guess if you live there...there would really be no reason to leave...other than that...I think it is a great place...so if you can afford to give it a try...why not????

Old 03-20-2009, 09:30 AM

187 posts, read 980,958 times
Weekend traffic is not nearly as bad since much of 278 was widened to six lanes in Bluffton. Prior to that, however, it was horrible as all of the tourists arrived for the 3-4 pm check-in.

Old 10-06-2009, 11:36 AM

21 posts, read 117,486 times
Agree with GJBenn...since 278 was widened our traffic "problem" is really only an issue on Saturday mornings for 10-12 weeks over July and Aug. Beyond that traffic is not really an issue at all.

Old 11-28-2009, 09:04 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,946,645 times
I've considered Hilton head for retirement but the discrepancy in RE prices has me scratching my head. prices range from 8 million:

Sea Pines - 5 Bedrooms | 4 Bathrooms | Home for Sale in Hilton Head Island, SC

down to 385k for this very nice looking home:

Shipyard - 3 Bedrooms | 2 Bathrooms | Home for Sale in Hilton Head Island, SC

So what gives? if HHI is such a nice place to live why can you find homes as nice-looking as the latter going for ghetto prices?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina