Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 10:08 PM

5,893 posts, read 12,820,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loulamb View Post
It's a real melting pot in the upstate.
I really have to agree with you on your comment about the Upstate being a real melting pot. I could not believe when I moved here from Chicago the diversity of restaurants to choose from in the Greenville area. I was blown away and VERY pleasantly surprised.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 10:10 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,577,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFRRACING View Post
what is a chicken fried steak ? and how do you make it ?
It is cubed steak dipped in batter, fried and covered in white gravy. I like it with mashed potatoes or fries. Do not eat it very often, though, because it isn't very good for you.

If you're ever in Columbia, Yesterdays has the best chicken fried steak.

Old 08-23-2008, 08:59 AM

1,141 posts, read 3,547,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
LOL someone that grew up up North maybe? Ive always enjoyed seeing the answers to a question like this one.

North or South, I truly don't think anyone anywhere, can beat the Amish hands down period end of story.

Old 08-23-2008, 10:35 AM

1,941 posts, read 4,473,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
It is cubed steak dipped in batter, fried and covered in white gravy. I like it with mashed potatoes or fries. Do not eat it very often, though, because it isn't very good for you.
I am not familiar with chicken fried steak. What you described sounds a lot like country fried steak to me. What is the difference?

Old 08-23-2008, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenville View Post
I am not familiar with chicken fried steak. What you described sounds a lot like country fried steak to me. What is the difference?
There's no difference, it's the same thing, but the only place I've had it calls it "chicken fried steak". I probably should have called it by its more common term.

Old 08-24-2008, 04:22 PM

543 posts, read 2,365,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post

If you're ever in Columbia, Yesterdays has the best chicken fried steak.
You know us southerners eat "brown gravy". LOL!

Old 08-24-2008, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc_gal98 View Post
You know us southerners eat "brown gravy". LOL!
Brown gravy is northern, white gravy is southern!

Old 08-24-2008, 10:13 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,816,884 times
It is? Oops.

Old 08-25-2008, 05:55 AM

239 posts, read 702,362 times
southerners call it 30 weight gravy....mmmmm

Old 08-29-2008, 07:00 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,469,818 times
I've had Scapple several times while growing up. My mother was from Philadelphia and my father from Boston loved spicy foods. We'd have it for brunch on wintery days with pancakes. It was good! It was kind of like compressed hash and sausage in a bar that you'd cut slices from and then saute or broil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
I lived in the North for 52 years and never once ate Scrapple nor knew anyone that ever did. Bagels are not a big deal either. I'm talking about the Midwest. Take their food over Southern anyday. ESPECIALLY MILK. What is it with the milk down here? It's horrible. I can barely eat a bowl of cereal.
In the midwest hashbrowns are not usually prefered, they are fried too dark often and well yucky...we prefer homefries..they're more moist and if done properly not 1/2 as greasy as hashbrowns. But if I had my choice? And I of course can't find them here, I'd have potato cakes.

I prefer the food in my area of the Midwest, because it was mainly European based.
When all the immigrants came to the NE and Midwest to work in the steel factories, auto factories, trucking companys, and mostly the rubber companies, they brought with them, the most delicious food one could ever hope for. They were and are fabulous cooks. I'll never be able to cook the way they could, and man do I miss their little hometown restaurants....badly.
Those women in the kitchen couldn't speak a lick of English and everything and I mean everything was made from scratch.

I also lived 20 miles away from the largest Amish community in the entire world. Amish..real Amish, not Mennonite. Talk about good food...simply some of the best.

My husband was born and raised in Charlotte, but moved to the midwest when he was 28 and stayed until his death at 49. He absoultely went nuts for the food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina