Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2024, 10:54 PM

33 posts, read 32,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofaque86 View Post
Probably why Sumter was added to the Columbia CSA. Columbia is growing pretty fast down 378 toward Sumter County
Yup, they're annexing a lot of new developments in Lower Richland. Its very easy since Fort Jackson is in city limits, so essentially any new development on the south side of Leesburg Rd can be contiguously annexed into city limits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2024, 01:11 PM

5,484 posts, read 8,315,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgn View Post
Woodlands, same. Florence, from what I’ve heard and seen in the past looks like a growing small city to me. The numbers don’t match what we see.
Sometimes it's easy to mistake construction with growth. Sometimes things are just shifting from one area of town to another. My folks from Greenwood feel the same way, but it's just stuff moving from one area to another.

Old 03-16-2024, 02:46 PM

12,882 posts, read 18,736,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMRE View Post
Sometimes it's easy to mistake construction with growth. Sometimes things are just shifting from one area of town to another. My folks from Greenwood feel the same way, but it's just stuff moving from one area to another.
I agree. Florence seems to have turned inward, and that is a wonderful thing. It is enviable. But it doesn’t necessarily mean people who are being born or relocating there are outnumbering those who leave or die. Even though it may seem palpable that a place is growing, we don’t really know until local officials provide the Census Bureau with their figures and the Bureau does their annual thing.

Old 03-16-2024, 06:08 PM

8,223 posts, read 13,338,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofaque86 View Post
Probably why Sumter was added to the Columbia CSA. Columbia is growing pretty fast down 378 toward Sumter County
Lets see if that spurs some political cooperation between the two cities. Back in the 90 early 2010..The politicos in Sumter hated Columbia but not the same type of hate/dislike/contempt( I know these are strong words) that say an Irmo or Lexington has for Columbia. It was more envy like a little brother of a big brother...so Sumter stayed in its own sandbox and played Big Brother to the likes of Manning, Bishopville, Pinewood and Mayesville. That may have changed now with new leadership in both cities...so hopefully that bodes well based on the CSA.. I remember when Mayor Steve was lobbying the feds to make the SE Highspeed Rail Line have a spur from Charlotte to Columbia on to Charleston before going down the eastern seaboard to Florida. He suggested that it go through Orangeburg as opposed to Sumter. I dont think he was anti Sumter as opposed to it being a political blind spot on his radar.. but a few politicos in Sumter took notice.

Does anyone know if there is $$ attached to being or not being a CSA? I thought it or MSA came with federal money for things like roads and highway construction based on population and various formulas.. I hope it is not attached to the CSA as Sumter will be getting screwed...

Last edited by Woodlands; 03-16-2024 at 06:28 PM..

Old 03-16-2024, 06:19 PM

8,223 posts, read 13,338,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMRE View Post
So in may be that the City has been underserved or underdeveloped and now it is just catching up with where it should be? I can see that as a possibility. I know that is the case in Sumter.. People moving out of the "old" side of town to the new one out by Shaw AFB and Hwy 521 NW of town. In the case of Florence people may be leaving Johnsonville, Timmonsville, Pamplico, Coward, Scranton and the like and moving into Florence proper causing more development in and around the City..

Old 03-17-2024, 12:36 AM

5,484 posts, read 8,315,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
So in may be that the City has been underserved or underdeveloped and now it is just catching up with where it should be? I can see that as a possibility. I know that is the case in Sumter.. People moving out of the "old" side of town to the new one out by Shaw AFB and Hwy 521 NW of town. In the case of Florence people may be leaving Johnsonville, Timmonsville, Pamplico, Coward, Scranton and the like and moving into Florence proper causing more development in and around the City..
That may be the case.

Old 03-17-2024, 04:51 PM

2,130 posts, read 2,270,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
They released the new alignments. The Sumter MSA is now included in Columbia's CSA.

A difference of less than 500 for an annual estimate isn't a major deal and after adjustments, it might not even be accurate. But we can certainly see that Spartanburg's growth has definitely kicked into a higher gear.

I think we should keep in mind that plenty of midsized Southern metros (and some a bit larger) added less than 10K from '22-'23, to include Durham, Greensboro, Winston-Salem, Asheville, Augusta, Columbus, Savannah, Macon, Tallahassee, Mobile, Birmingham, Baton Rouge, Jackson, Little Rock, Chattanooga, Virginia Beach, Memphis, and Louisville. Only in SC is Columbia seen as a laggard and it gets more praise from outsiders than SC residents.
True- it’s still a testament to how the upstate is seeing infectious growth.. I mean, Spartanburg… Sure, the counts may be readjusted but it definitely stood out to me.

That’s nice perspective. I know is not doom and gloom but everywhere else in SC is seeing “their time” but Cola hasn’t quite, yet.

The Sumter addition was a pleasant surprise but not even seeing Newberry added to the MSA is astounding to me.

Old 03-21-2024, 04:45 AM

I’m feeling anecdotal. Facebook posts by people moving to metro Charleston have exploded exponentially in the past six months. It’s not my imagination. It’s crazy. I believe that the 19,065 net population figure represents only the beginning of a surge, because it happened through a period of time that ended about nine months ago. Time shall tell.

Old 03-21-2024, 05:19 AM

2,130 posts, read 2,270,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
I’m feeling anecdotal. Facebook posts by people moving to metro Charleston have exploded exponentially in the past six months. It’s not my imagination. It’s crazy. I believe that the 19,065 net population figure represents only the beginning of a surge, because it happened through a period of time that ended about nine months ago. Time shall tell.
All funding for roads should be abruptly diverted to Charleston in the coming years if this trend continues. I know traffic isn’t that bad but Charleston is so geographically challenged. I know it’s a cliche topic but how is traffic in Charleston? What about the metro areas?

Old 03-21-2024, 06:39 AM

Depends on whom you ask. I’m barely ever challenged because of the spot I live in. Local natives ***** all the time. New York and LA transplants give the complainers a wide-eyed look and laugh about this traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina