Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2024, 08:38 AM

8,226 posts, read 13,342,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
Depends on whom you ask. I’m barely ever challenged because of the spot I live in. Local natives ***** all the time. New York and LA transplants give the complainers a wide-eyed look and laugh about this traffic.
Charleston = Boston (of the south). Waiting on the Charleston version of the 'big dig' for I-26 and a few harbor tunnels ...
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2024, 09:50 AM

12,888 posts, read 18,741,137 times
First things first - By 2029, rapid bus transit is supposed to run from Ladson to MUSC via downtown at Calhoun Street

Old 03-23-2024, 04:52 PM

I decided to go back to my desktop and found the chart that ranks MSA’s by population gained and rate of population growth to see how Charleston-North Charleston ranks.

7/1/22-7/1/23 number gained - 17th; percent growth - 19th
4/1/20-7/1/23 number gained - 22nd; percent growth - 39th

Old 03-27-2024, 10:35 AM

2,000 posts, read 1,863,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Charleston = Boston (of the south). Waiting on the Charleston version of the 'big dig' for I-26 and a few harbor tunnels ...
I always said they should have a tunnel connect folly to Sullivan's or a tunnel from Mt p that goes under Ravenel under downtown to west Ashley.

For charleston a tunnel will be cheaper due to the length and height a bridge has to be

Old 03-28-2024, 05:31 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgn View Post
True- it’s still a testament to how the upstate is seeing infectious growth.. I mean, Spartanburg… Sure, the counts may be readjusted but it definitely stood out to me.
Spartanburg has been on the up-and-up for close to a decade now when it began landing some notably big economic development deals which was followed by marked population increase, and the pandemic has acted-as a growth accelerant. Its most recent yearly growth statistics is part of a longer trajectory and Spartanburg County--which is larger in area than Greenville, Richland, York, and Dorchester counties--has nothing but room to accommodate it. There really aren't any notable geographical or structural barriers to growth within the county which is also fortunate to have I-26 as its major north-south corridor and I-85 as its major east-west corridor.

Quote:
That’s nice perspective. I know is not doom and gloom but everywhere else in SC is seeing “their time” but Cola hasn’t quite, yet.
I think "everywhere else" is a wee bit of a stretch, but keep in mind Columbia never really experienced a bust either. An above-average growth rate that's more or less in line with what housing and infrastructure can keep up with is a net positive. And it's saying something that it's not quite Columbia's "time" yet considering all of the developments that have recently been built and are underway in the area.

Quote:
The Sumter addition was a pleasant surprise but not even seeing Newberry added to the MSA is astounding to me.
Really? It's about what should be expected when you think about it. Sumter's economic and population growth has been sluggish as of late so it makes sense that it's seen a greater outflow of commuters to Columbia (and probably Florence also, to a lesser degree) to make it part of the CSA. Newberry was fortunate to avoid a similar fate when the county successfully recruited Samsung to build a manufacturing facility there in 2017 which not only helped soften the blow of losing Caterpillar but also attracted suppliers and became a catalyst for more job growth itself.

Old 03-28-2024, 09:52 AM

27 posts, read 21,010 times
I'll go out on a limb here and predict Spartanburg County will reach the 380,000-400,000 range if not higher by the end of the decade. (1) There's plenty of land. (2) There's plenty of jobs and the outlook for job growth looks good. (3) The quality of life continues to improven. (4). Location, location, location.

Old 03-28-2024, 09:56 AM

What about small towns and farms in Spartanburg County? When I think of metro growth, I hope for "turning around and coming back this way," said the in-town man, so as to not run over rural areas of the county, like the ones he's a product of, with suburban-style sprawl. (with an eye on rural upper Dorchester County and southern Orangeburg County's Cow Castle)

Old 03-28-2024, 08:08 PM

5,485 posts, read 8,317,620 times
Lots of the growth in Spartanburg is probably near the border where some of Greenville's growth is sprawling across the line. Greer, Duncan, etc. Those areas work for folks that need to commute between the two.

Old 03-29-2024, 05:52 PM

2,307 posts, read 2,955,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan Burger View Post
I'll go out on a limb here and predict Spartanburg County will reach the 380,000-400,000 range if not higher by the end of the decade. (1) There's plenty of land. (2) There's plenty of jobs and the outlook for job growth looks good. (3) The quality of life continues to improven. (4). Location, location, location.
Easy bet, Spartanburg county has added 10k~ per year since 2020, assuming it continues that it'll be around 430k assuming it stays on pace.

Old 03-30-2024, 04:13 PM

8,226 posts, read 13,342,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Spartanburg has been on the up-and-up for close to a decade now when it began landing some notably big economic development deals which was followed by marked population increase, and the pandemic has acted-as a growth accelerant. Its most recent yearly growth statistics is part of a longer trajectory and Spartanburg County--which is larger in area than Greenville, Richland, York, and Dorchester counties--has nothing but room to accommodate it. There really aren't any notable geographical or structural barriers to growth within the county which is also fortunate to have I-26 as its major north-south corridor and I-85 as its major east-west corridor.

I think "everywhere else" is a wee bit of a stretch, but keep in mind Columbia never really experienced a bust either. An above-average growth rate that's more or less in line with what housing and infrastructure can keep up with is a net positive. And it's saying something that it's not quite Columbia's "time" yet considering all of the developments that have recently been built and are underway in the area.

Really? It's about what should be expected when you think about it. Sumter's economic and population growth has been sluggish as of late so it makes sense that it's seen a greater outflow of commuters to Columbia (and probably Florence also, to a lesser degree) to make it part of the CSA. Newberry was fortunate to avoid a similar fate when the county successfully recruited Samsung to build a manufacturing facility there in 2017 which not only helped soften the blow of losing Caterpillar but also attracted suppliers and became a catalyst for more job growth itself.
So if you are a Sumter Political Leader.. would you spin this as being good for Sumter? The average citizen likely doesnt care.. but I would think getting "merged" is not good because it shows that you are in decline and thus may reflect poorly on the leadership. Conversely, if it is Sumter getting drawn into Columbia's orbit as a partner (ex. Greenville Spartanburg) then that could be a good thing if it spurs more regional cooperation... though that may not be the reality in this example. Columbia and Sumter not banning together to flex whatever political muscle they can muster is puzzling to me.. though I do have some thoughts on why that is the case that I have shared in other threads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina