Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2023, 09:24 AM

8,226 posts, read 13,342,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by salutethehill View Post
My job has me driving all over SC. Some small towns that stand out:
Aiken
Walterboro
Lake City
Cheraw
York

and I’m partial to Travelers Rest and Greer.
Cheraw is probably one of the most under rated towns in SC. It has a nice little downtown, access to the Pee Dee River, and a solid local historic district with many historic homes a few of which are B&Bs. I believe I read in one thread that Pageland could possibly benefit from some far flung spillover growth from Charlotte (not in subdivision development but in people relocating) especially in the post pandemic remote work world. If that is accurate, I wonder if Cheraw could benefit as it is more of a "city" than Pageland with some solid housing stock for those looking for a historic home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2023, 09:30 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
I wonder about the Police? Do they come from SC into NC to go back into SC to service this area OR is there some arrangement with Char Meck?
Indian Land is unincorporated so all of its services come from Lancaster County and special purpose districts.

Old 07-20-2023, 08:18 AM

9,496 posts, read 9,807,609 times
Most year round favorable weather is in the Upstate.

Old 07-21-2023, 07:46 PM

2,898 posts, read 1,865,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofaque86 View Post
Look into Chapin or Lexington, both close by Lake Murray
I was just there today and thought it was really nice. Would absolutely move there.

Old 07-21-2023, 07:47 PM

2,898 posts, read 1,865,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Cheraw is probably one of the most under rated towns in SC. It has a nice little downtown, access to the Pee Dee River, and a solid local historic district with many historic homes a few of which are B&Bs. I believe I read in one thread that Pageland could possibly benefit from some far flung spillover growth from Charlotte (not in subdivision development but in people relocating) especially in the post pandemic remote work world. If that is accurate, I wonder if Cheraw could benefit as it is more of a "city" than Pageland with some solid housing stock for those looking for a historic home.
The main street in cheraw is really nice. Like quintessential southern nice. Not sure about the rest of the town but the main street wants me to live there.

Old 07-28-2023, 07:40 PM

1 posts, read 920 times
How is Greet?

Old 07-31-2023, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
The main street in cheraw is really nice. Like quintessential southern nice. Not sure about the rest of the town but the main street wants me to live there.
I went there along with Florence, Sumter, and Columbia this past week. They have a new Springhill Marriott downtown which is cool for a town under 6k. They have a few restaurants down there along with an ice cream/coffe shop, peach cobbler store, and a wine shop downtown now. People say it will be lively there during the SC Jazz Festival in October

Old 07-31-2023, 05:33 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,443,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaiAbbSus View Post
How is Greet?

I assume you mean Greer . . . And it is booming. They’re really revitalizing their downtown. The location midway between Greenville and Spartanburg lends itself to a lot of development.

Old 07-31-2023, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
I assume you mean Greer . . . And it is booming. They’re really revitalizing their downtown. The location midway between Greenville and Spartanburg lends itself to a lot of development.
Yep and along I-85 Corridor from Charlotte to Atlanta which make it very accessible to these metros not to mention GSP

Old 08-05-2023, 11:14 AM

12,836 posts, read 9,033,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeMan45 View Post
Here's an article in USA Today about Greenville. https://www.greenvilleonline.com/sto...c/70325192007/

It claims Greenville is a top 10 best small city to raise a family. Greenville is the most populated part of SC so the small city description is off. You can live in country areas 20 minutes or so from downtown like Travelers Rest and Fountain Inn. They rated the schools 8.5 out of 10.

Greenville's park downtown right off Main Street, Falls Park, has been rated a top 10 park in the country on Trip Advisor. There is a massive curved pedestrian bridge over the waterfall. Don't think I've seen a similar bridge like this elsewhere. Greenville has Paris Mountain, a little mountain, about 10 minutes from downtown with a state park with hiking and biking trails, and a little lake area.

If your daugher likes big downtown festivals, I recommend visiting Greenville in October during the Fall for Greenville festival. https://www.fallforgreenville.net/

Greenville and Clemson-Seneca are good places to live if you like mountains, hiking, waterfalls, lakes and car accesible viewpoints. Lakes Jocasse and Keowee are clear lakes nestled at the base of the Blue Ridge mountains. Perhaps the most pristine whitewater river in the country, the Chattooga, is in western SC. I like to say western SC is as good a location for mountain stuff as Asheville, and better for lakes and waterfalls. Asheville fans give me a lot of grief but the majority of them know very little about western SC. In many cases, Greenville and Clemson-Seneca are as close or closer to big western NC blue ridge attractions, like Whitewater Falls.
SHHHH!. That was my dream retirement area until it got discovered and I got priced out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina