Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2013, 08:29 PM

2,277 posts, read 2,672,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
I will too, that is why the I20/26 interchange is SCDOT's top priority.
Back and forth about these roads is getting pretty old. Everyone wants it in their back yard. Everyone thinks traffic is worst where they are. But little do any of you know the beltway around Charleston (I-526) was planned back around 1960. (That's about 53 years ago) I remember, I was here. And back then it was said that if that road were completed at that time, it would serve the community until 1980. Seems that Greenville and Columbis's beltways have been finished for years, but I-526 is still not complete.
So now the up-state and mid-state think they should move to the front of the line. Alleluia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2013, 10:49 PM

1,941 posts, read 4,485,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al G View Post
Back and forth about these roads is getting pretty old. Everyone wants it in their back yard. Everyone thinks traffic is worst where they are. But little do any of you know the beltway around Charleston (I-526) was planned back around 1960. (That's about 53 years ago) I remember, I was here. And back then it was said that if that road were completed at that time, it would serve the community until 1980. Seems that Greenville and Columbis's beltways have been finished for years, but I-526 is still not complete.
So now the up-state and mid-state think they should move to the front of the line. Alleluia
The Upstate and Midlands were able to agree on the necessity of interstate spurs, as opposed to Charleston who continues to have tons of infighting as to whether the I-526 extension is necessary/feasible/going to harm the precious natural resources in the area.

P.S. The Upstate and Midlands are, however, still waiting on their $600 million landmark bridges.

Old 12-23-2013, 02:40 AM

2,277 posts, read 2,672,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenville View Post
The Upstate and Midlands were able to agree on the necessity of interstate spurs, as opposed to Charleston who continues to have tons of infighting as to whether the I-526 extension is necessary/feasible/going to harm the precious natural resources in the area.

P.S. The Upstate and Midlands are, however, still waiting on their $600 million landmark bridges.
That so called landmark bridge is there to help the whole state. If we didn't have that harbor you wouldn't be able to move your BMW's around the World.

Old 12-23-2013, 06:03 AM

13,044 posts, read 18,911,033 times
I got off of I-20 onto I-26 to Columbia Saturday afternoon. DANGEROUS! That's one bottom line for sure.

Old 12-23-2013, 08:45 AM

3,200 posts, read 4,629,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al G View Post
That so called landmark bridge is there to help the whole state. If we didn't have that harbor you wouldn't be able to move your BMW's around the World.
The landmark bridge could have been built at a lower cost with no effect on the state. BMW could just as easily use Savannah's port or even Jacksonville. BMW was not built in Spartanburg because of the port.

Old 12-23-2013, 08:47 AM

3,200 posts, read 4,629,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenville View Post

Good point.

Old 12-23-2013, 12:03 PM

154 posts, read 244,860 times
The old bridge over the Charleston was too narrow and dangerous and looked like it could collapse, I think replacing that was more important than interchanges in Columbia or Greenville just from a safety standpoint and obviously a bridgge over the harbor is going to cost more than more routine infracsture projects.

Old 12-23-2013, 12:50 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,339,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBaker View Post
The old bridge over the Charleston was too narrow and dangerous and looked like it could collapse, I think replacing that was more important than interchanges in Columbia or Greenville just from a safety standpoint and obviously a bridgge over the harbor is going to cost more than more routine infracsture projects.
Not being raised here, I was curious, so last week I watched some videos of people driving over the Grace. CRAZY! How the heck did you people do it?!?!

Grace Memorial Bridge in Charleston - YouTube

Last Ride on the Grace Memorial Bridge - YouTube

Old 12-23-2013, 12:54 PM

154 posts, read 244,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
Not being raised here, I was curious, so last week I watched some videos of people driving over the Grace. CRAZY! How the heck did you people do it?!?!

It really felt like you were on a roller coaster it was so narrow. It also made commuting out to Mt. Pleasant a nightmare in rush hour.

Old 12-23-2013, 01:51 PM

1,941 posts, read 4,485,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBaker View Post
Nobody is saying that the old bridge shouldn't have been replaced, because it definitely should've. The point is that a very expensive bridge replaced it. Some would say that the cost was not necessary.

Given the scope of the bridge, it seems silly for some of the Charleston-area posters to suggest that key interchanges in Greenville and Columbia should take a backseat to the I-526 project in Charleston. As I said in a previous comment, a lot of projects in other parts of the state are justified in light of the $600 million spent on the Ravenel bridge.

I have to wonder if some of the Charleston boosters here truly believe that Charleston-area projects should always be the priority in SC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina