Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2007, 07:41 PM

30 posts, read 73,954 times

Advertisements

I am a Northerner currently living in Sumter. We've lived here a little over a year and enjoy it very much. However, husband is in danger of being laid off, so have been looking elsewhere. He is looking at a cmpany in Dillon. Reading these forums, all I am seeing are comments about how awful the PeeDee area is ? Am just curious as to that area in comparison to Sumter ? Is it possible that these negative comments are from those from other states or will we also have a big shock only moving 80 miles away? I've really had no problems here. There are places in town that you may not want to be after a certain time of night, some accuse me of having a heavy Midwestern and not being able to understand me, but nowhere you live is going to be perfect. You will find rude and judgemental people all across the country. I have lived in many different states and have to say that SC is my favorite. Anyway, just curious as to thoughts on this. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2007, 07:15 PM

2,356 posts, read 3,475,244 times
jen, a lot of people consider Sumter to be in the Pee Dee. The Black River runs through Sumter County, which is part of the Pee Dee River system. And Sumter basically has the same economy, demographics, climate, agriculture, people, etc. as the rest of the Pee Dee. But it depends on who you ask.

And although Sumter is closer to being the 'center of the state' than Columbia is, most Columbians don't consider Sumter to be part of the midlands. Orangeburg is farther from Columbia, but usually gets lumped into the midlands.

It's sort of confusing, b/c nobody wants to claim Sumter. But in the context of your question, I'd consider Sumter as part of the "Pee Dee" region.

Old 03-05-2007, 06:48 AM

Ohhh...OK. I have never heard that before. But makes me feel tons better. Thanks much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
jen, a lot of people consider Sumter to be in the Pee Dee. The Black River runs through Sumter County, which is part of the Pee Dee River system. And Sumter basically has the same economy, demographics, climate, agriculture, people, etc. as the rest of the Pee Dee. But it depends on who you ask.

And although Sumter is closer to being the 'center of the state' than Columbia is, most Columbians don't consider Sumter to be part of the midlands. Orangeburg is farther from Columbia, but usually gets lumped into the midlands.

It's sort of confusing, b/c nobody wants to claim Sumter. But in the context of your question, I'd consider Sumter as part of the "Pee Dee" region.

Old 03-05-2007, 01:06 PM

My husband is also originally from PA and we love it here. He previously lived in North Carolina for 7 years and now we've lived in Sumter for a year. (Sumter is about 40 miles from Florence) You are probably always going to have your people who look down on you because you arent a 'true' Southerner, but absolutely for the most part, people are friendly and more than willing ot get to know you. It is all in how you approach things. You certainly cant come here and expect them to change their ways for you, becasue it wont happen. There are things that are different. But we have found it very easy to adapt. In fact, in between the time spent in NC and here, we lived in Missouri and hated being away from the South. MB is 90 miles from here in Sumter and we are there often. Again, love this area. Cant imagine finding anywhere I like better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by niceguytiredofNEbs View Post
HEY how u doin? Im a 31 yr old who lives in PA now but i plan on moving to Dillon, SC/FLorence, SC within the next 2 months. This by FAR is the most affordable area i have found in SC as im not rich and have alot of bils. Florence seems to be a good job place and your only an HOUR inland of Myrtle beach which would be awesome!! Let me know what u find out as i want to know the COMMUNITY, How friendly r people, Will they accept me being a northerner from PA wit no southern accent, i have nice cars will appear like i got money but they r not paid for!! HELP!!!!!!!! ANYONE

Old 10-24-2007, 09:48 PM

90 posts, read 381,325 times
[quote=jenhalt;422973]I am a Northerner currently living in Sumter. We've lived here a little over a year and enjoy it very much. However, husband is in danger of being laid off, so have been looking elsewhere. He is looking at a cmpany in Dillon. Reading these forums, all I am seeing are comments about how awful the PeeDee area is ?

Hi, jenhalt
I am a southern girl trying to move up North.....LOL
Back to your subject...I grew up in Dillon. I now live in Tennessee and moving to Northern New Jersey soon. I have been back home to visit and Dillon seems to be in a total stand still for years. It has not changed much in the 20 + years I have been gone. There are a few good factorys there. Not sure what type of work your husband is looking at. But if you like small towns and don't really mind going to Florence, SC or Lumberton, NC to shop or go to a nice place to eat, then Dillon is your place.
Like I said I grew up there and lived there for years until both my parent passed. I felt like I needed to get my children to a more diverse area. We moved to Myrtle Beach and lived there for about 10 years. If you have school age children....the Dillon schools(unless it has changed) are not that great. There was not a lot of trouble in the class rooms, just seemed like the teachers did not go the extra mile to get the most out of their students.
As far as the PeeDee area. It is one of the most beautiful areas in South Carolina. The Little PeeDee is my favorite. (I grew up IN that river) If your family likes the out doors and loves to fresh water fish....Dillon would be a nice area. As a young girl I would sit on the banks of the LPD river for hours.
I would not tell you not to move to Dillon, JUST don't expect it to be a big bustling town.
I still have friends there and would be happy to help in any way that I could.
The housing prices in Dillon has not changed alot. So a nice house with land would be affordable. Not sure about the rate of pay there now but at one time it was on the low side.....

Old 10-24-2007, 10:30 PM

293 posts, read 826,666 times
I would really consider living in Florence and commuting to Dillion if that's an option. I'm not knocking Dillion it's just that Florence at least would give you a few more options. But either city is about 65miles away from Myrtle Beach so that's always a good option. And the Little Pee Dee river is beautiful. Best wishes to you and your family!

Old 12-28-2009, 04:46 PM

255 posts, read 610,248 times
As a Pee Dee resident, I don't consider Sumter to be part of the "Pee Dee", since Sumter considers itself to be a part of the Columbia metropolitian area, thus it is what I would call being a part of the "Midlands."

Old 12-29-2009, 08:05 AM

8,231 posts, read 13,350,173 times
i would agree that if you decide to work in Dillon..unless you like small town living.. I would consider Florence. Also if you are buying a home.. the value and resale is probably alot stronger in Florence than in Dillon. Other than Florence... the Pee Dee area is suffering as is other rural parts of the State. Also if you lived in Florence.. job prospects may be better should you decide to leave the post in Dillon.

I do believe that people in Sumter identify more with Columbia and the Midlands than they do with Florence.. which may be simply be because of the typical draw to the larger Metro. The media market in Columbia also "claims" much of Sumter in advertisement, print, etc. Sumter has some advantages because it is mid way between Columbia and Florence..which means both cities are a relatively easy commute... should that be an option

Old 12-29-2009, 08:48 AM

12,891 posts, read 18,748,565 times
I didn't realize Sumter thought of itself as part of the Columbia metropolitan area. The Pee Dee River swamp area separates Columbia and Sumter with a lot of wilderness.

Old 12-29-2009, 10:53 AM

899 posts, read 2,287,559 times
I've always generally put Sumter County in the Midlands and Clarendon County in the Pee Dee, but some do it the other way. Most people in Columbia consider Shaw AFB to be in the Midlands anyway, and I think a good number of folks from Sumter commute to Richland County to work.

If you are looking to compare Sumter to Dillon...they are very different in terms of size, amenities, etc. You've only had a year to adjust from the Northeast to living in Sumter...you may not want to make the adjustment to living in Dillon. There really is not a whole lot happening there and there isn't going to be a large number of transplants either.

I'd second the recommendations of trying to find an area in Florence close to I-95 to live and commuting the 30 minutes or so to Dillon. You'll find Florence to be a much easier adjustment than Sumter too.

Last edited by innovator82; 12-29-2009 at 11:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina