Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 07:38 AM
KMK KMK started this thread

80 posts, read 338,589 times

Advertisements

Just curious about the area. Folks on another thread have described it as heaven. Is it more of a retirement community? I have been looking for a coastal community as opposed to a resort to reside. I love the Carolina`s and have been slowly trying to decide where to relocate. Tell me more about that area!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2007, 09:00 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,583,124 times
Murrells Inlet is a wonderful place. I wouldn't consider it a retirement community, more of a quaint, sleepy, fishing village. It's a beautiful place and is also close to Myrtle Beach and Charleston.

Old 07-18-2007, 11:52 AM

1,696 posts, read 8,874,805 times
Murrells Inlet is far from a retirement community. Its boudaries have become a bit stretched though. I think the traditional view of MI is th fishing village and the areas near Hwy 17 Business through the ICW closer towards the south side near Huntington Beach & Brookgreen Gardens. But now with all the developments along Hwy 707 it has stretched the north end kinda far.

You will find many of those developements geared towards the retirement sector but there are many areas that are family oriented as well. There is plenty of shopping in the area and you are surrounded by great restaurants. MI does not have a beach but it has a marshwalk and boat ramps with beautiful views. You will have to travel to Garden City (a little crowded), Huntington Beach State Park (probably the nicest) or Pawleys Island (limited parking) to go the beach. If you are looking for a beachy type community you can look into GC & Pawleys, too. Both are nice with Garden City being closer to a resort atmosphere than the rest.

Old 07-18-2007, 10:25 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,955,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMK View Post
Just curious about the area. Folks on another thread have described it as heaven. Is it more of a retirement community? I have been looking for a coastal community as opposed to a resort to reside. I love the Carolina`s and have been slowly trying to decide where to relocate. Tell me more about that area!

I visited there today for the first time. It's really nice, I wouldn't mind living there myself.

Old 07-18-2007, 11:37 PM

Thanks, I will have to take a closer look at its location. We will be near Kiawah and Charleston in the next few weeks.

Old 07-18-2007, 11:46 PM

Just curious? Are mosquitos unbearable around these marshes? We live significantly inland around the drought region this summer but were tormented by mosquitos while working outside today. It was unbearable. It just had me wondering if the marsh areas had problems with these critters?

Old 07-18-2007, 11:54 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,874,805 times
I haven't been to Kiawah but from what I have read it will be difficult to compare to Murrells Inlet. Kiawah is a planned resort community. It appears to be very nice and have a level of elegance.

This is a different the case with Murrells Inlet, where it has evolved over many years and can be genuine southern living. There are some nice communities such as Prince Creek or Wachesaw Plantation.

Old 07-19-2007, 08:05 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,583,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMK View Post
Just curious? Are mosquitos unbearable around these marshes? We live significantly inland around the drought region this summer but were tormented by mosquitos while working outside today. It was unbearable. It just had me wondering if the marsh areas had problems with these critters?
Yes. The marsh areas definitely get mosquitos.

Old 07-19-2007, 08:17 AM

18 posts, read 76,560 times
Smile Best Fish House in the Carolinas

I'm not from the coast area but when you go to Murrels Inlet you need to eat at the Divine Fish House. It is the best ever. My wife and I go there every trip to the beach.

Old 07-19-2007, 07:04 PM

41 posts, read 216,508 times
MI is attractive and interesting if you want to be in a Carolina lowcountry atmosphere, while being near the infrastructure of a resort city. Also, there are many beach townes where you can have fun for a week or two, but they wear thin after while ,especially in winter. MI is a in a livable area. As for the bugs , we see a lot more at the lakes up north. Salt water marshes are tidal, they are not swamps. Google South Carolina tourism and Murrells inlet. Having said all that , if you need to live and work there, you may not find much in your career field in what is basically a resort and retirement area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina