Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2024, 08:03 PM

102,233 posts, read 108,060,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
I was going on your desire to live with your "bestie" (who doesn't drive) and for:

To me that cries "Seattle!" You won't find anything like that going north, south, or east - and the latter is even less affordable due to higher-scoring schools driving up RE prices (* see below, however). The reverse-commute from Seattle outward can also be easier than from within the County.

Yes, Seattle is still a tight fit budget-wise, but there are some properties, albeit smaller, that have fenced yards and garages, for instance, for under $800k. And more might show up (with fewer issues).

West Seattle is also a possibility, for instance:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/9...49055485_zpid/ - $599,250, 3bd/2ba, 1,150sf, 3,497sf lot, partially fenced yard, but very near Westcrest Park/Dog Park.

* I did find this in Issaquah:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...49026583_zpid/ ($735k)

It is larger (3bed/3ba, 1,610sf, 1/3-acre lot), but the large yard is only partially fenced.
I found one for gizmo in the nice Admiral district, not far from Alki, back in the beginning of the thread, a nice tudor/craftsman-style place. The one thing I don't know, is how common is it for buyers to bid over the listing price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2024, 07:29 PM

30,381 posts, read 51,986,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
That's right. Pretend to have a mental disability or a mental condition so that you can get special privileges that are reserved for the handicapped that truly need specialized medical equipment.

The fakers and the cheats who get their certificates from online sources are making life difficult for the truly handicapped that really actually need a service animal or emotional support animal because of their genuine disability.
I mean, technically speaking I qualify on more than one condition (OCD, ADHD, and mildly bipolar) for ESAs; but as I said, I don't want to go that route for the reasons you mentioned. I don't NEED them, but they sure do help my mental state! So if it comes down to that or not having a place to live, I will have my established and certified therapist write me a legitimate recommendation for one. I won't just buy a fake certificate online, promise. ;-)

Old 04-24-2024, 08:28 PM

Quote:
I was going on your desire to live with your "bestie" (who doesn't drive)
Yes, that is still what I'd love to do - but if I end up getting a job in Everett, for example, I won't commute all the way from West Seattle JUST to live with my friend. We can see each other on the weekends, and are both fine with continuing to live alone. So it will likely depend on where I end up getting a job.

Speaking of which, I had 3 interviews last week and a few more scheduled over the next week. None have been IN Seattle, unfortunately - they've been for Renton Highlands, Redmond, Arlington, (south) Tacoma, and outside of WA altogether.

Quote:
To me that cries "Seattle!" You won't find anything like that going north, south, or east - and the latter is even less affordable due to higher-scoring schools driving up RE prices (* see below, however). The reverse-commute from Seattle outward can also be easier than from within the County.

Yes, Seattle is still a tight fit budget-wise, but there are some properties, albeit smaller, that have fenced yards and garages, for instance, for under $800k. And more might show up (with fewer issues).
I guess I'll just have to wait and see where I get hired first! But again, those things I listed are only ideal; none are absolute musts or deal-breakers, aside from my budget (to some degree) and being a good place for my pets. Those are the top priorities for me. Thanks for all the info, though, and it still sounds like West Seattle would be best if it's logistically possible.

Old 04-26-2024, 01:20 AM

8,075 posts, read 8,381,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Yes, that is still what I'd love to do - but if I end up getting a job in Everett, for example, I won't commute all the way from West Seattle JUST to live with my friend. We can see each other on the weekends, and are both fine with continuing to live alone. So it will likely depend on where I end up getting a job.

Speaking of which, I had 3 interviews last week and a few more scheduled over the next week. None have been IN Seattle, unfortunately - they've been for Renton Highlands, Redmond, Arlington, (south) Tacoma, and outside of WA altogether.

I guess I'll just have to wait and see where I get hired first! But again, those things I listed are only ideal; none are absolute musts or deal-breakers, aside from my budget (to some degree) and being a good place for my pets. Those are the top priorities for me. Thanks for all the info, though, and it still sounds like West Seattle would be best if it's logistically possible.

Don't discount Seattle's neighborhoods. They can be like towns, but in the city. Seattle has great parks (and dog parks).

Old 04-27-2024, 09:34 PM

27 posts, read 17,574 times
From your interests, Ballard/Fremont would be perfect for you; West Seattle a close second. I live in West Seattle and it is a great place to live, and has great transit access to downtown (if on the C or H lines). However, you are most likely to work in suburban King County, and commutes out of the city are particularly difficult from those neighborhoods on the Puget Sound side of the city. West Seattle or Southeast Seattle are OK for access to southside suburbs. Central District/Madrona are good for eastside suburbs, or Lake City for northeastern suburbs. All those Seattle neighbohoods also have good transit access.

For the pets, renting an apartment will be difficult, but I suspect that houses for rent would be more flexible.

Old 04-29-2024, 06:24 PM

Good news - I made it to the next (and likely final) round for a job in Redmond! Still waiting to hear back on a few others, too.

Thanks again for all of the suggestions/feedback. Definitely gives me a lot to consider.

Old 04-29-2024, 11:40 PM

8,075 posts, read 8,381,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Good news - I made it to the next (and likely final) round for a job in Redmond! Still waiting to hear back on a few others, too.

Thanks again for all of the suggestions/feedback. Definitely gives me a lot to consider.
You might have to raise your budget a bit, if you get the Redmond job:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...48780476_zpid/

Old Yesterday, 07:51 PM

4,644 posts, read 3,019,166 times
Perhaps it's too small and not urban enough for you, but have you considered Olympia?

Old Yesterday, 08:39 PM

Quote:
You might have to raise your budget a bit, if you get the Redmond job:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...48780476_zpid/
I did say it was flexible lol. But that house is also way bigger than what I need, so that's probably higher than I'd end up looking; my current house is 990sf, and I often feel like it's too big! Even with a roommate (if my friend lives with me) I could easily handle smaller than that.

But it might be a moot point, since I was just offered a different job in Tacoma. I'll post a separate thread about that.

Old Yesterday, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
Perhaps it's too small and not urban enough for you, but have you considered Olympia?
I did like what I saw of Olympia, but it might be too far from Seattle for my taste.

As I just mentioned above, I ended up getting a good offer in Tacoma; so I'm gonna post separately about that, to narrow down where I might live if I take that job. Leaning towards yes, but I told them I'd give an answer next week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area