Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2024, 03:38 PM

30,381 posts, read 51,986,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Hi, Giz. Leaving Santa Cruz County? I can't imagine! But W Seattle's definitely cool. However, IDK how much bluegrass & folk music you'll find. There really wasn't much, if any, when I lived in the area, but that was then, and this is now, so who knows?
I love Santa Cruz County, but it's just time for a new adventure! As for the bluegrass and folk music, that's more my friend's thing... I like it too, but it's hardly a requirement. She actually follows and sorta manages a few Seattle-area bands, so I think there are more than you and I both realize.

Quote:
I looked at W Seattle RE to see if there was any hope for you with your budget, and there is! I was pleasantly surprised, but these prices probably wont' last long. Also: be careful re: location; too far south toward White Center isn't a good idea. But I found this, in a really nice nabe, close to Alki:
https://www.redfin.com/WA/Seattle/34...16/home/328728

Finding something roughly within your budget it doable currently, but barely. And I don't know to what extent, if any, bidding exceeds the list price, as is typical around the Bay Area. Ask an RE agent.

Would your bestie be paying rent to you, thereby facilitating your purchase/mortgage payment? Just curious.
Yes, of course... if she lives with me, I will be charging her rent. It'll be reasonable (likely less than she'd pay for her own place), but enough to be fair to me too. I'm not depending on that, however, as I can also support myself without a roommate. As I have for the last 15+ years.

Quote:
I'll be following your story with interest. Best wishes!
Thanks! I'll post updates when I have them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2024, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
That is a pretty tough budget for buying a house in most of King County... if you do like West Seattle you might want to focus around the White Center / Top Hat area. You could also look to the east a little bit in Skyway/Bryn Mawr, or go further south into the downtown Renton area.
I'm open to other ideas, especially if I end up living alone (as the friend is more stuck on Seattle proper). And the budget has some flexibility, too.

Quote:
Regarding renting with animals, my advice is to get them all certified as emotional support animals. I went through the website American Service Pets and got a letter from a Washington-based doctor. In the City of Seattle this is all you'd need. Not sure about outside city limits...
I would prefer not to do that for moral reasons, but I guess if it's the only way I will consider it.

Old 04-21-2024, 04:51 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,584,037 times
The Kitsap County Library system is top notch. You are only a ferry ride away from Seattle.

Old 04-21-2024, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
The Kitsap County Library system is top notch. You are only a ferry ride away from Seattle.
Yes, I'd love to work for them! I have interviewed for a couple of positions in their system (recently one in Bremerton), but unfortunately no offers yet - and no current openings.

Old 04-22-2024, 05:22 PM

8,075 posts, read 8,381,653 times
Here's another one in Seattle:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3...48810303_zpid/

$750,000, 2bed/2bath, 1,330sf, 8,955sf lot, attached garage, fenced yard, AC. Across from Meadowbrook Playfield Park. Near Matthews Beach Park, Magnuson Park.

Old 04-22-2024, 05:24 PM

8,178 posts, read 8,318,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
Here's another one in Seattle:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3...48810303_zpid/

$750,000, 2bed/2bath, 1,330sf, 8,955sf lot, attached garage, fenced yard, AC. Across from Meadowbrook Playfield Park. Near Matthews Beach Park, Magnuson Park.
Just saw the seller-provided pre-inspection a few days ago on this one, it was rough.

Old 04-22-2024, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Just saw the seller-provided pre-inspection a few days ago on this one, it was rough.
Haha, good to know. I think West Seattle might just be a pipe dream anyway, at least if/when I would be purchasing a home (could be doable as a renter). I'll probably end up having to go at it alone, and do the outskirts without my friend. That's fine too, as I typically prefer not to live in city or suburban environments anyway... depending on where I end up working, I might even head out towards the mountains a bit.

Old 04-23-2024, 08:52 AM

102,233 posts, read 108,060,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Haha, good to know. I think West Seattle might just be a pipe dream anyway, at least if/when I would be purchasing a home (could be doable as a renter). .
That property with the pre-inspection wasn't in West Seattle. There are properties in W Seattle within your budget, at the moment. That window of opp'ty probably won't last long,though. Just saying. Also, bear in mind Seattle's notorious traffic; if you think you could maybe have the best of both worlds by getting a place closer to the mountains and commuting to, say,the Eastside or something, fuggedaboutit.

The suggestion to look across the Sound at the Kitsap Peninsula and around there (jobs in Bainbridge? Commute from lower-rent Kitsap? Could work, too) was a good one.

Old 04-23-2024, 12:37 PM

3,206 posts, read 2,491,793 times
My sister used to live in West Seattle until about 8 years ago. She sold her beautiful home for around $650,000. It sold recently for $1.2 million. It had a small lot but a gorgeous deck with a view of the water and the Olympics. 2 bed/2 bath and a garage.

Old 04-23-2024, 01:12 PM

8,075 posts, read 8,381,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I'll probably end up having to go at it alone, and do the outskirts without my friend. That's fine too, as I typically prefer not to live in city or suburban environments anyway... depending on where I end up working, I might even head out towards the mountains a bit.
I was going on your desire to live with your "bestie" (who doesn't drive) and for:

Quote:
live music, particularly bluegrass or folk, and I'm more into nature stuff than she is. Shopping too, but more independent-type shops versus big box stores. Crafts, jewelry, thrift clothes, local fare, etc. I'm a huge fan of street fairs too!
To me that cries "Seattle!" You won't find anything like that going north, south, or east - and the latter is even less affordable due to higher-scoring schools driving up RE prices (* see below, however). The reverse-commute from Seattle outward can also be easier than from within the County.

Yes, Seattle is still a tight fit budget-wise, but there are some properties, albeit smaller, that have fenced yards and garages, for instance, for under $800k. And more might show up (with fewer issues).

West Seattle is also a possibility, for instance:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/9...49055485_zpid/ - $599,250, 3bd/2ba, 1,150sf, 3,497sf lot, partially fenced yard, but very near Westcrest Park/Dog Park.

* I did find this in Issaquah:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...49026583_zpid/ ($735k)

It is larger (3bed/3ba, 1,610sf, 1/3-acre lot), but the large yard is only partially fenced.

Last edited by CrazyDonkey; 04-23-2024 at 01:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area