Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2023, 04:12 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,827,371 times

Advertisements

As the above poster stated, talk to people and let everybody you know or happen come in contact with, that you are looking for work....even a janitorial position would be fine. Also, I would suggest using the library and whatever internet access you have to research the basic knowledge/skills for any job you are thinking about trying to get. Even a janitor job requires some knowledge......such as proper way to strip and wax, how to disinfect as a couple of examples. Doing a bit of reading up will help you during an interview.
Somebody I have known since the late 1970s, retired from a janitorial job he has had for the past 30 years. When he retired, he was making $31.25 an hour with really good benefits. This person has a bad case of dyslexia & although it does not affect his IQ, it causes real difficulty in reading to the point where just trying to read a restaurant menu close to an impossible task.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2023, 08:44 PM

30,430 posts, read 52,068,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
You can serve all the empathy you want but you realize most people see homeless as the dirty guy panhandling for money with the cardboard sign.
And that was exactly my point in responding - to educate you on the FACTS, that the majority of unhoused Americans are not "the dirty guy panhandling for money with the cardboard sign." They are more often in temporary or unstable housing, maybe living in a vehicle or motel/couch-surfing.

Quote:
If a guy can't take a shower on a regular basis (taking care of himself) then I don't want the guy touching my food.
That is a matter of behavioral and hygiene policy, not housing status; in fact I believe it would be illegal to discriminate based on the latter, but not the former. It's the same theory we follow at the public library (where I work). All are welcome, regardless of race/religion/politics/housing/etc, as long as you follow our behavioral policies. I don't care if you're homeless, but if your hygiene is poor enough to where other patrons are complaining, that's when we need to intervene and speak about solutions. Again, empathy is the key. I even have a t-shirt with that on it! See Ryan Dowd @ https://homelesslibrary.com/ if you actually care to learn more.

Quote:
I wouldn't want him working on my car either if it makes any difference to you.[/i][/b]
Yes, that does make a difference. But only in the sense of illustrating your lack of empathy, tolerance, and quite frankly logical thought. How on earth does their housing situation affect their ability to work on a car? I sure hope you aren't in any sort of power to hire or fire people... yikes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland