Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2023, 07:55 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,069,759 times

Advertisements

Are you completely clean and sober or do you have any disabilities?
I mean are there not “In in Out Burger” joints in your area that are offering $20 per hour to start?
I see their help wanted hiring signs all the time and that is what they will start you off at.
It just not them, lots of businesses are looking for labor and the labor rate in the Bay Area is pretty darn good.
Most of them just want you to be dependable and off drugs.
Is that an issue?
If so there are still plenty of places like a major oil change company (that I won’t name) that seems to be ok with it.

I would call the links that were posted tomorrow morning and find out how to get some counseling or direction on this employment situation.
Good luck to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2023, 08:20 PM

102,187 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurent74 View Post

Every other day I buy a generic gallon of water at Safeway and use that, in conjunction with soap and a washcloth to clean myself.

With that, I applied at Berkeley Bowl on Shattuck Ave in Berkeley. But the hiring manager won't even give me a first interview.
My post wasn't knocking you for spending your money on classes. I was just stating a fact, because the other poster was under the mistaken impression you had a car. I have no qualms with your decision to give coding a try. You never know if you're good at something, until you try it.

But now that you've tried it and decided it's not for you, you're at the point where you have to figure out what's next. You have a potential parental option to try, and someone here also gave you some useful links to check out. Step by step, one foot in front of the other.

Old 10-30-2023, 08:37 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,069,759 times
Would it be ok if we all pitched in and sent you some money?

Old 10-31-2023, 06:43 AM

17,263 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Quote:

Every other day I buy a generic gallon of water at Safeway and use that, in conjunction with soap and a washcloth to clean myself.

With that, I applied at Berkeley Bowl on Shattuck Ave in Berkeley. But the hiring manager won't even give me a first interview.
I would not want a homeless person working on my food either..........

Old 10-31-2023, 07:59 AM

20,098 posts, read 8,998,912 times
I suspect he's worn out his help from his parents if this has gone on for more than 10 years.

Old 10-31-2023, 04:41 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
Would it be ok if we all pitched in and sent you some money?
We don't even know if this person is for real. He could be a troll.

Old 10-31-2023, 08:28 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
I would not want a homeless person working on my food either..........
Well, that's a horrible thing to say and think... you know that being "homeless" can also mean couch surfing/staying with friends, living out of motel rooms or vehicles, etc. Right? The visibly unhoused, or what you probably refer to as "bums on the streets," make up a very small percentage of the unhoused population. You wouldn't even know by looking, most of the time.

Empathy is free. Help yourself to a little.

Old 10-31-2023, 08:31 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
I also don't have any interviewing clothes.
At least for this part of your problem, there are some charities to help with professional wardrobes. Here are some resources in/around Berkeley:

https://www.wardrobe.org/

https://www.findhelp.org/goods/clothing--berkeley-ca

Old 11-01-2023, 10:01 AM

17,263 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Well, that's a horrible thing to say and think... you know that being "homeless" can also mean couch surfing/staying with friends, living out of motel rooms or vehicles, etc. Right? The visibly unhoused, or what you probably refer to as "bums on the streets," make up a very small percentage of the unhoused population. You wouldn't even know by looking, most of the time.

Empathy is free. Help yourself to a little.
You can serve all the empathy you want but you realize most people see homeless as the dirty guy panhandling for money with the cardboard sign.

If a guy can't take a shower on a regular basis (taking care of himself) then I don't want the guy touching my food. I wouldn't want him working on my car either if it makes any difference to you.

Old 11-01-2023, 10:15 AM

1,197 posts, read 527,858 times
Lots of people will hire you - you can work construction (demo, clean-up, etc.) or as you said, stocking stores (more demand now around holidays). If you have $10, post a gig on Craigslist listing all of the work you can do.

Talk to people - tell everyone you meet you need/want a job.

Please don't give up, no matter what!

You will be hired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland