Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2022, 10:49 AM

4,031 posts, read 4,462,284 times

Advertisements

https://www.mercurynews.com/2022/10/...ew-poll-finds/

"Most people who live here plan to leave.

A new survey found more than half (53%) of registered voters queried by the Bay Area News Group and Joint Venture Silicon Valley say they’re likely to move out of the region in the next few years. It’s a sentiment felt by the young more than the old, by Republicans more than Democrats, and by the poor more than the wealthy."

"People of color also are more eager to pack their bags — 59% of Hispanic voters, 57% of Asian American and Pacific Islander voters, and 53% of Black voters said they are likely to leave, compared to 47% of White voters."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2022, 12:11 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
What would make the poll more meaningful, would be an analysis of which respondents were raised in the area, and which were transplants who came for a job, not necessarily planning to stay anyway, just using the Bay Area job as a stepping stone. There's lots of fluidity that's related to the job market. And maybe some people came, thinking they'd stay, but got turned off by traffic and/or other factors.

Old 10-03-2022, 03:17 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,974,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
What would make the poll more meaningful, would be an analysis of which respondents were raised in the area, and which were transplants who came for a job, not necessarily planning to stay anyway, just using the Bay Area job as a stepping stone. There's lots of fluidity that's related to the job market. And maybe some people came, thinking they'd stay, but got turned off by traffic and/or other factors.
Maybe but based on the percentages of who'd move away, the vast majority would be Bay Area natives anyway. This isnt new eithet because outside of tecu booms the Bay loses domestic migrants annually by the tems of thousands.

Old 10-05-2022, 08:44 AM

7,320 posts, read 3,796,563 times
Just wait until high interest rates really start to dry up the tech company cash flow. It's already started and it's going to get worse. I expect the wfh crowd is in for a surprise as well.

Old 10-05-2022, 09:38 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
I don't really know anyone planning to leave but they aren't exactly happy or that satisfied with living in the area. We just stay because of work and family.

Old 10-05-2022, 03:17 PM

4,031 posts, read 4,462,284 times
‘The mood is dark’: More than half of Silicon Valley residents still want to move away, poll finds

Homelessness, racism and a ‘not in my backyard’ attitude toward building new housing permeates the Bay Area, according to annual poll

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/th...?siteid=nf-rss

Old 10-05-2022, 06:15 PM

7,320 posts, read 3,796,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Coe View Post
‘The mood is dark’: More than half of Silicon Valley residents still want to move away, poll finds

Homelessness, racism and a ‘not in my backyard’ attitude toward building new housing permeates the Bay Area, according to annual poll

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/th...?siteid=nf-rss
Those are probably recent transplants who came for the last tech boom. It's over. The cash is drying up, mass layoffs are coming and they probably want to go where the latest boom is but with more affordable housing. Many will go to Texas.

I lived in Mountain View for two years out of the 42 I've been in the Bay Area. My wife is from there and I've spent a lot of time there. I say this about that area: the standard of living is high, but the quality of living is horrible. Housing, traffic, shopping, schools (except Palo Alto), you name it. It's a nightmare. And it's more an economic zone than anything else. The number of foreign-born people living there is insane.

Anyway, my wife grew up in Mountain View and she is happy she got out.

Old 10-06-2022, 02:48 AM

6,376 posts, read 4,995,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattja View Post
I lived in Mountain View for two years out of the 42 I've been in the Bay Area. My wife is from there and I've spent a lot of time there. I say this about that area: the standard of living is high, but the quality of living is horrible. Housing, traffic, shopping, schools (except Palo Alto), you name it. It's a nightmare. And it's more an economic zone than anything else. The number of foreign-born people living there is insane.
The schools are bad? That really surprises me given the wealth in the area.

Is it a situation where the districts have no incentive to improve because the parents have to live around there for their jobs and can't take their tax dollars elsewhere? Or do most upper-middle-class parents use private schools?

Old 10-06-2022, 03:42 PM

33,321 posts, read 12,516,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattja View Post
Those are probably recent transplants who came for the last tech boom. It's over. The cash is drying up, mass layoffs are coming and they probably want to go where the latest boom is but with more affordable housing. Many will go to Texas.

Anyway, my wife grew up in Mountain View and she is happy she got out.

And Cupertino, and Saratoga, and the part of the western part of San Jose that feeds into Lynbrook High Scool.

Old 10-06-2022, 03:50 PM

33,321 posts, read 12,516,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
The schools are bad? That really surprises me given the wealth in the area.

Is it a situation where the districts have no incentive to improve because the parents have to live around there for their jobs and can't take their tax dollars elsewhere? Or do most upper-middle-class parents use private schools?

My cousins grew up in Los Altos Hills, and my aunt and uncle sent them to Bellarmine and St. Francis (why both and not all to one of those two and not the other...I don't know).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland