Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2022, 05:29 PM

30,400 posts, read 52,016,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
The schools are bad? That really surprises me given the wealth in the area.

Is it a situation where the districts have no incentive to improve because the parents have to live around there for their jobs and can't take their tax dollars elsewhere? Or do most upper-middle-class parents use private schools?
Most attend private schools, in my observations. My own niece and nephew did, when they were living in Sunnyvale then San Jose, as did my siblings and I back in the '80s-90s. We were/are upper-middle class (maybe even just "upper"). I now work at a library in Silicon Valley, and at least half of the school-aged kids we see are in uniforms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2022, 06:43 AM

106 posts, read 236,443 times
Quote:
School funding is bad due to prop 13 which doesn't allow tax base to keep pace with cost of living. Unfortunately cost of running schools does keep up with cost of living since you still have to pay the teachers market rates.

So our schools are heavily underfunded.

Old 10-09-2022, 10:02 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,749,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_holt View Post
School funding is bad due to prop 13 which doesn't allow tax base to keep pace with cost of living. Unfortunately cost of running schools does keep up with cost of living since you still have to pay the teachers market rates.

School construction/infrastructure is exempt from Prop 13 2/3 voter approval...

Local taxes going to local schools was the California model until the State took over education funding...
Serrano v. Priest

Shorty thereafter voters approved Prop 13 to stop the grab... and Prop 13 has been law since the 70's

A 900 square feet 100 year old Bungalow sells for 900k in East Oakland and the owner is paying easily well over a thousand a month property tax on a home that sold new for 2500... we do not have a property tax shortfall and in fact every sale is a windfall for the tax collector...

Old 10-09-2022, 11:34 PM

7,658 posts, read 4,627,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_holt View Post

The schools are adequately funded, but are horrible at spending money well. This is not just a problem for Education. This stems from several situations. Remember, when funds get tight, the graft stays and useful stuff goes so people will feel the pain and send more money.

California used to lead the nation with her educational program....it's no longer even close.

Old 10-10-2022, 11:57 AM

410 posts, read 453,454 times
Quote:
The schools aren't all bad. Mountain View High School is ranked #22 best public high schools in the entire state, according to Niche.com. 70% of MVHS kids take at least one AP class/exam. Currently, students have access to 15 AP courses, in every discipline including psychology and statistics. Similar stats for Los Altos High School, which part of MV feeds into, and is ranked #10 by Niche. In Mountain View -- as everywhere else -- your zip code can determine the quality of your schools. Large parts of MV offer very, very good schools.

Old 10-10-2022, 12:30 PM

102,246 posts, read 108,166,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
Maybe but based on the percentages of who'd move away, the vast majority would be Bay Area natives anyway. This isnt new eithet because outside of tecu booms the Bay loses domestic migrants annually by the tems of thousands.
But, see how you worded that? "Domestic migrants", a group to which area natives don't belong. So we really don't know. Except that some natives do move away upon retirement, to line up a more financially secure retirement, to low-tax, low RE-cost states.

Old 10-10-2022, 01:29 PM

11,088 posts, read 6,941,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
The schools are adequately funded, but are horrible at spending money well. This is not just a problem for Education. This stems from several situations. Remember, when funds get tight, the graft stays and useful stuff goes so people will feel the pain and send more money.

California used to lead the nation with her educational program....it's no longer even close.
When was that? I'm a product of the educational system in California, 1950's through 1960's. Some schools were probably really good. Others were not so good. And don't forget, girls were left behind in those situations too.

Old 10-10-2022, 01:39 PM

4,753 posts, read 2,988,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
But, see how you worded that? "Domestic migrants", a group to which area natives don't belong. So we really don't know. Except that some natives do move away upon retirement, to line up a more financially secure retirement, to low-tax, low RE-cost states.
Actually natives would belong in that group if they leave the Bay Area but remain in the US. They instantly become a "domestic migrant".

I highly doubt for the past few decades that the tens of thousands of people who left the state annually were all newcomers. A large portion of them were native Californias or those who lived in the state for decades at the very least.

Old 10-10-2022, 07:03 PM

7,658 posts, read 4,627,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
When was that? I'm a product of the educational system in California, 1950's through 1960's. Some schools were probably really good. Others were not so good. And don't forget, girls were left behind in those situations too.

Ok, CA schools lead the nation except for Pathrunner, whom they failed miserably. Also, CA was apparently the only school system in the nation that treated groups of children differently based upon race and gender.

For what the times were, CA was doing it imperfectly, but the best. Now they fail a lot more people on a more equal basis. Success?

Old 10-10-2022, 08:13 PM

11,088 posts, read 6,941,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
Ok, CA schools lead the nation except for Pathrunner, whom they failed miserably. Also, CA was apparently the only school system in the nation that treated groups of children differently based upon race and gender.

For what the times were, CA was doing it imperfectly, but the best. Now they fail a lot more people on a more equal basis. Success?
Har har. I did not state that the "CA schools failed me miserably." You stated that. You assume. Don't assume.

Other than that, I have no idea what your last sentence refers to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland