Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2022, 01:01 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
Ok, CA schools lead the nation except for Pathrunner, whom they failed miserably. Also, CA was apparently the only school system in the nation that treated groups of children differently based upon race and gender.

For what the times were, CA was doing it imperfectly, but the best. Now they fail a lot more people on a more equal basis. Success?
When did CA schools lead the nation? Are you referring to its university system? That's the only part of the CA education system that was ever highly rated, AFAIK. If you have statistics of some sort to support your claim, I'd be interested to see them. How far back would we have to go, to find such evidence of excellence--1910? Seriously, I'm interested to see what the criteria were for that rating, and when the high rating was achieved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2022, 01:30 PM

2,624 posts, read 1,219,929 times
From it's initial modern settlement (post 1800) this has been a boom and bust area.

Whatever people may leave, a new generation will come back sometime in the future.

There is something about this area that draws people seeking fortune.

Old 10-11-2022, 02:08 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
I still have a sibling there, and they had talked about retiring to Oregon. Though retired now, they remained in the Bay Area, because they need the big house with two adult children having moved back in with them.

Old 10-11-2022, 03:50 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,077,727 times
We have a lot of family in Ca.
Those that still work are in the Bay Area even though most wfh.
Some have retired/moved to the Auburn/Folsom/Granite Bay area’s.
I don’t know why they want to live in an oven but they do .

All of us that moved have kept our main (or old) house due to prop 13 and because it’s a good investment.
Sometimes prop 13 can be an anchor but it’s a good problem to have I guess.

Old 10-12-2022, 08:15 PM

406 posts, read 450,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
When did CA schools lead the nation?
I don't know the answer to that question... but I'll tell you: when I moved to Colorado in the mid-80s I was shocked to discover that my public HIGH SCHOOL in Silicon Valley offered more foreign languages than any COLLEGE in Denver, and that included the Denver branch of the University of Colorado and the $60,000/year University of Denver.

Old 10-12-2022, 08:46 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,456,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vunderbar View Post
I don't know the answer to that question... but I'll tell you: when I moved to Colorado in the mid-80s I was shocked to discover that my public HIGH SCHOOL in Silicon Valley offered more foreign languages than any COLLEGE in Denver, and that included the Denver branch of the University of Colorado and the $60,000/year University of Denver.
I consider foreign language study to be essential to a great education, especially French and German, since those two languages contributed so much to English, and for me, personally, since my ancestors were primarily English, German and French . When I attended public junior high school (now called middle school) in the SF Bay Area, foreign language instruction began in the 8th or 9th grade as an elective. I started with a class called "Foreign Languages" which included instruction in Latin, French and German and probably also Spanish. I continued studying French in high school and then German at university. I feel sorry that European languages are not a major part of the curriculum anymore.

Unlike pathrunner, I never felt that girls were left behind when I was attending public school, except in sports.

Old 10-13-2022, 07:30 PM

7,345 posts, read 3,812,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
The schools are bad? That really surprises me given the wealth in the area.

Is it a situation where the districts have no incentive to improve because the parents have to live around there for their jobs and can't take their tax dollars elsewhere? Or do most upper-middle-class parents use private schools?
Entrenched teachers union is one problem.

But the real problem is illegal immigrants entering the schools totally unprepared and bringing down test scores. Los Altos High School is a perfect example. It's located in an affluent city, yet the test scores have dropped and the school's rating decreased from a 9 or 10 to an 8. The feeder pattern for Los Altos High School includes Los Altos and parts of Mountain View. The area of Mountain View that feeds it contains a high population of illegal alien Latinos. So, they bring down the test scores and place a burden on both the teachers and the English-speaking students who receive less attention.

The situation became so bad that 15 years ago Los Altos Hills tried to form their own school district. Can you blame them? Paying $5-$15 million for a home and the schools are no better than San Jose? They failed in their attempt for political reasons (The district where they are located did not want to give up their cash cow.)

There are exceptions. Palo Alto's Gunn HS was rated the best in California this year. Palo Alto schools in general are very good. However, the elementary and middle schools along El Camino rate average. Test scores are depressed by Latinos who live in the apartments along El Camino. Homes in that area still cost $3-$4 million.

Yes, the most wealthy send their kids to private school. The Catholic schools often accept anyone, and there are some good Catholic schools in the area. St. Francis High School in Mountain View is one example.

You cannot rely on expensive areas having good public schools in California. Most probably do, but there are many exceptions. I will say, it would suck paying $4 million for a new home, along with $4,000/month in property taxes, to find the local public schools are average at best.

Old 10-13-2022, 10:13 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
I consider foreign language study to be essential to a great education, especially French and German, since those two languages contributed so much to English, and for me, personally, since my ancestors were primarily English, German and French . When I attended public junior high school (now called middle school) in the SF Bay Area, foreign language instruction began in the 8th or 9th grade as an elective. I started with a class called "Foreign Languages" which included instruction in Latin, French and German and probably also Spanish. I continued studying French in high school and then German at university. I feel sorry that European languages are not a major part of the curriculum anymore.

Unlike pathrunner, I never felt that girls were left behind when I was attending public school, except in sports.
Two years of foreign languages was a requirement when I was in HS, pretty sure it still is. Most kids take Spanish as a foreign language in high school. There are a couple of Spanish immersion schools too, my kids attend one.

Old 10-14-2022, 10:12 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,197,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattja View Post
Entrenched teachers union is one problem.

But the real problem is illegal immigrants entering the schools totally unprepared and bringing down test scores. Los Altos High School is a perfect example. It's located in an affluent city, yet the test scores have dropped and the school's rating decreased from a 9 or 10 to an 8. The feeder pattern for Los Altos High School includes Los Altos and parts of Mountain View. The area of Mountain View that feeds it contains a high population of illegal alien Latinos. So, they bring down the test scores and place a burden on both the teachers and the English-speaking students who receive less attention.

The situation became so bad that 15 years ago Los Altos Hills tried to form their own school district. Can you blame them? Paying $5-$15 million for a home and the schools are no better than San Jose? They failed in their attempt for political reasons (The district where they are located did not want to give up their cash cow.)

There are exceptions. Palo Alto's Gunn HS was rated the best in California this year. Palo Alto schools in general are very good. However, the elementary and middle schools along El Camino rate average. Test scores are depressed by Latinos who live in the apartments along El Camino. Homes in that area still cost $3-$4 million.

Yes, the most wealthy send their kids to private school. The Catholic schools often accept anyone, and there are some good Catholic schools in the area. St. Francis High School in Mountain View is one example.

You cannot rely on expensive areas having good public schools in California. Most probably do, but there are many exceptions. I will say, it would suck paying $4 million for a new home, along with $4,000/month in property taxes, to find the local public schools are average at best.
Los Altos High is certainly a high performing school regardless of any lower income students that attend. Keep in mind that many people reference Greatschools.org for school scores, where LAHS does rate an 8 as you noted. If you take a closer look though (https://www.greatschools.org/califor...s-High-School/), you'll see 10/10 for test scores and college readiness. Having said that, Greatschools started sharing an Equity Score a number of years ago, which brings down the overall rating noticeably for many schools. LAHS has an Equity Score of 5. Meanwhile, only a quarter of the student population is Hispanic. While it's unfortunate certain racial groups perform lower in school, I'd have no issue sending my kids to this school. Having said that, if I could afford to live in Los Altos, I'd likely also to be able afford top notch private schools, which would probably have resources far exceeding anything available at even the best public schools in the region.

Old 10-14-2022, 11:17 AM

7,345 posts, read 3,812,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
Los Altos High is certainly a high performing school regardless of any lower income students that attend. Keep in mind that many people reference Greatschools.org for school scores, where LAHS does rate an 8 as you noted. If you take a closer look though (https://www.greatschools.org/califor...s-High-School/), you'll see 10/10 for test scores and college readiness. Having said that, Greatschools started sharing an Equity Score a number of years ago, which brings down the overall rating noticeably for many schools. LAHS has an Equity Score of 5. Meanwhile, only a quarter of the student population is Hispanic. While it's unfortunate certain racial groups perform lower in school, I'd have no issue sending my kids to this school. Having said that, if I could afford to live in Los Altos, I'd likely also to be able afford top notch private schools, which would probably have resources far exceeding anything available at even the best public schools in the region.
Look at the test scores for "Hispanics."

7 overall
62% for English
33% for math

That's pretty bad.

The math scores for "Hispanics" is even worse at Gunn in Palo Alto: 20%.

The undeniable fact is the Latino population is growing and expanding into affluent areas, and they are generally poor students.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland