Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2024, 08:42 AM

4,036 posts, read 4,470,469 times

Advertisements

Russians arrive, thrive in Contra Costa County:
https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/02/...ian-community/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2024, 09:01 AM

7,192 posts, read 9,332,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Coe View Post
Russians arrive, thrive in Contra Costa County:
https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/02/...ian-community/
Glad to be their neighbors. One wonderful thing about living in the Bay Area is its rich diversity.

Old 03-30-2024, 10:53 AM

102,227 posts, read 108,023,430 times
Paywall. But there already was a Russian community in WC and a Russian restaurant, IIRC. Also--a Ukrainian community.

Old 04-01-2024, 07:51 PM

9 posts, read 4,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Paywall. But there already was a Russian community in WC and a Russian restaurant, IIRC. Also--a Ukrainian community.
I live in Daly City and parts of it feel like a Little Kiev, ha. Or a Russian-Russic enclave.

Old 04-02-2024, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAsianContagion View Post
I live in Daly City and parts of it feel like a Little Kiev, ha. Or a Russian-Russic enclave.
I wonder how many Russians and Ukrainians are recent immigrants compared to from the earlier post-Soviet collapse wave? LA's San Fernando Valley also has been getting a lot of Russian and Ukrainian immigrants.

Interestingly, I tend to associate Daly City with Filipinos. There is also a Nicaraguan community, which SoCal really does not have. Bay Area's Latin American population seems to be somewhat more diverse than LA's.

Old 04-27-2024, 09:29 PM

9 posts, read 4,131 times
Quote:
I wonder how many Russians and Ukrainians are recent immigrants compared to from the earlier post-Soviet collapse wave? LA's San Fernando Valley also has been getting a lot of Russian and Ukrainian immigrants.

Interestingly, I tend to associate Daly City with Filipinos. There is also a Nicaraguan community, which SoCal really does not have. Bay Area's Latin American population seems to be somewhat more diverse than LA's.
I hear a lot of Russian and Russic/Slavic languages in Daly City, believe it or not.

Serramonte area is more Filipino, as with Top of the Hill and the area around Mission. But the Westlake area, at least the part of Westlake I live in, isn't really as Filipino as other areas in my experience.

There are also a lot of Arabs and Middle Eastern people, too. I heard we have one of the largest Palestinian populations and I see a lot of women with the headscarves.

Old Yesterday, 10:08 AM

102,227 posts, read 108,023,430 times
Quote:

The ones in Sacramento and also WC would be mainly from the 90's, as they already have well-established businesses, while the more recent immigres are getting their bearings. I assume something similar would be true in Daly City.

Asian Contagion might be interested to know, that one of the fundamental elements in SF's Richmond District Russian community back in the post-war period was Russians from Manchuria and Shanghai. These were people who felt at home in Asian culture, some spoke one or more Chinese languages (or "dialects"), and routinely patronized Chinese-owned businesses. That generation has passed away and their children are mostly in the elder category as well, and have scattered around the US and Canada. The character of the community there in the Richmond has changed with each wave of immigrants from Russia.

Just a little slice of history. Not relevant to Daly City. The Sunset District in SF used to have Ukrainians, too. Those have passed; whether or not they've been replaced by a new wave of them, I don't know, but the high SF rents are probably what caused the Daly City community to take root.

Old Today, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAsianContagion View Post
I hear a lot of Russian and Russic/Slavic languages in Daly City, believe it or not.

Serramonte area is more Filipino, as with Top of the Hill and the area around Mission. But the Westlake area, at least the part of Westlake I live in, isn't really as Filipino as other areas in my experience.

There are also a lot of Arabs and Middle Eastern people, too. I heard we have one of the largest Palestinian populations and I see a lot of women with the headscarves.
Arabs are most common in San Mateo County?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland