Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2024, 08:18 AM

223 posts, read 116,459 times

Advertisements

It should be razed. No hospital. No city hall, library, laboratory. Left open as a park with maybe a large pavilion. Less is more. Building something for the sake of building something is not the answer.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/article...-american-mall
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2024, 08:24 AM

12,870 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
You are trolling hard.

Again, as you are well aware, no one has asked for family photos.
As usual, you're presuming to know what I think. And as usual, you're wrong. I think the photo requests were extremely strange, even for you.

Old 03-21-2024, 08:29 AM

17,743 posts, read 9,192,519 times
Show me where anyone has asked for family photos.

Old 03-21-2024, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartM1 View Post
It should be razed. No hospital. No city hall, library, laboratory. Left open as a park with maybe a large pavilion. Less is more. Building something for the sake of building something is not the answer.

Eh, there's a massive, underutilized park directly across the street in Station Park. I don't think converting the whole mall property to another park is really going to provide any sort of benefit to anyone. I'd be all for daylighting more of the river and the Promenade St. pedestrian path, but leveling the entire mall and turning it into a park would be a very expensive way to ensure land in the heart of downtown remains underutilized in perpetuity.

A better bet would be to renovate and repurpose the building. Taking a page from Cambridgeside's book would be smart. Consolidate the shopping to a single level (maybe 2), upgrade the Francis St. retail frontage, add a residential and/or hotel component, and covert upper floors to lab space, etc. Concentrating retail should help with vacancy rates, adding more mixed use means there will be more people at more hours, and keeping the parking garage retains an asset people use for much more than just visiting the mall.

Old 03-21-2024, 08:55 AM

Quote:
The poster said they visited the area with family. You asked for pictures (repeatedly). Your echo asked for pictures (at 2 in the morning, no less). No matter how you want to try and spin it, it was a really, really weird request. The doubling down in the middle of the night somehow makes it even creepier.

Old 03-21-2024, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
The poster said they visited the area with family. You asked for pictures (repeatedly). Your echo asked for pictures (at 2 in the morning, no less). No matter how you want to try and spin it, it was a really, really weird request. The doubling down in the middle of the night somehow makes it even creepier.
I'm not the one trying to spin this. No one has asked for family photos. Stop trolling.

Old 03-21-2024, 09:22 AM

Quote:
I'm not the one trying to spin this. No one has asked for family photos. Stop trolling.
I'm not spinning anything, just sharing how the exchange appeared to me. The posts are right there for anyone else to form their own opinion.

Old 03-21-2024, 10:03 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,905,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartM1 View Post

Razing it would be incredibly wasteful. Plenty of online info on re-using former malls.

https://www.dcd.com/articles/adaptiv...as-aging-malls

Old 03-21-2024, 10:20 AM

5,210 posts, read 6,142,795 times
We have what used to.be the largest mall in the southeast that is now pretty much empty. It lost all it's anchors. It's now a YouTube video for abandoned malls. These are tough to repurpose but it can be done.

Old 03-21-2024, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I'm not spinning anything, just sharing how the exchange appeared to me. The posts are right there for anyone else to form their own opinion.
Let me get this straight.

A poster claimed to have been in Union Square in San Francisco last summer. Said poster also claimed there wasn't any crime.

Baffled by the dubious claims of the aforementioned poster, another poster asked if the person has any pictures of Union Square.

And you interpreted that exchange as someone asking for pictures of underage girls?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island