Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 02:26 PM

1,202 posts, read 2,671,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
You come here from somewhere else to point out that South Providence is a slum. This is not very mysterious and certainly not news. No one in these posts has said that South Providence has re-emerged as a jewel. You are missing the point big time.
Sorry it's taken me this long to get back to you ... I have a life and there is no point missed, I assure you. You seem to come here close to 24 hours every day to paint an absolutely fantastical view of the state on virtually every topic imaginable. You might read this Pulitzer prize winning article in the Washington Post about Woonsocket, though I doubt it will change your understanding of reality about the state of things in RI (understanding this isn't about Providence, but a lot of it applies to virtually all of RI's inner-cities): Food stamps put Rhode Island town on monthly boom-and-bust cycle - The Washington Post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 03:31 PM

2,040 posts, read 3,999,185 times
Hollytree has always criticized things here when she believes it's required. That's been my experience.

Woonsocket is in no way indicative of all of Rhode Island. In fact, I heard something the other day on the local NPR that if you removed Pawtucket, Woonsocket, and Central Falls from the equation - much of the poverty for the entire state would be eradicated. (They didn't put it so bluntly but you get the idea...)

Does that mean everything's perfect? Of course not. Those who are constantly accused of "cheerleading" have all criticized this state at one point or another.

Funny how that never seems to be acknowledged.....

That said, the problems endemic to places like Woonsocket do not exist in a vacuum. Every state in every corner of this Nation has a Woonsocket, unfortunately.

Old 04-16-2014, 05:16 PM

23,624 posts, read 18,749,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnrboy View Post
Woonsocket is in no way indicative of all of Rhode Island. In fact, I heard something the other day on the local NPR that if you removed Pawtucket, Woonsocket, and Central Falls from the equation - much of the poverty for the entire state would be eradicated. (They didn't put it so bluntly but you get the idea...)

Except you still have left a certain city just to the south of Pawtucket, that very likely has more poverty than all those other cities combined. It's a city that has nearly gone bankrupt, and attracts relentless cheerleading on this forum. Maybe we should remove Rhode Island's largest city and move the capitol to Johnston?

Point taken on the last, but you can also say that the "naysayers" are never acknowledged for their occasional praises...

Old 04-17-2014, 03:48 AM

1,202 posts, read 2,671,517 times
Quote:
Hollytree has always criticized things here when she believes it's required. That's been my experience.

Does that mean everything's perfect? Of course not. Those who are constantly accused of "cheerleading" have all criticized this state at one point or another.

That said, the problems endemic to places like Woonsocket do not exist in a vacuum. Every state in every corner of this Nation has a Woonsocket, unfortunately.
I guess you told me! You can safely go back to your RI bubble now.

Old 04-17-2014, 05:47 AM

9,300 posts, read 14,916,355 times
RNRboy thanks for reiterating my point. The article was about Providence- some others just refuse to consider the world in any way except one that corresponds to their own POV and of course, there's this:

“Puritanism: The haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy.”

― H.L. Mencken, A Mencken Chrestomathy

Old 04-17-2014, 06:03 AM

8,030 posts, read 4,705,872 times
Quote:
RNRboy thanks for reiterating my point. The article was about Providence- some others just refuse to consider the world in any way except one that corresponds to their own POV and of course, there's this:

Thanks Holly! H.L Mencken was a wise man and the quote hits the nail on the head here. That people could actually be happy living in Rhode Island is hard to fathom by some who have left.

Old 04-17-2014, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Except you still have left a certain city just to the south of Pawtucket, blah blah blah, negativity negativity
Was wondering where you went.....should have known once too much positivity was perceived, the nattering nabob of negativism would be back!

I was starting to think AlfieBoy was the only one who could get you to...errr...."contribute". haha

Glad I could throw you a bone...

Anyway, name one city in America that isn't a mixed bag. Name one city that doesn't have a major class divide right now. If you can, I assure you they are a major exception to the rule if they are indeed actually a city.

The point stands, however, that if Woonsocket - Pawtucket - Central Falls poverty was subtracted from the equation, the rate would sink like a stone. This is not, mind you, a rebuke of those cities altogether, I wish they would be improved. It is more of an admission about where the state has some major challenges.

Funny how even that was perceived incorrectly. Oh wait, no it was completely predictable!

Old 04-17-2014, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rranger View Post
I guess you told me! You can safely go back to your RI bubble now.
Thank you, I worked pretty hard to get here and feel I deserve it!

Old 04-17-2014, 07:15 AM

Quote:

Weren't Puritans from Massachusetts?

Old 04-17-2014, 05:19 PM

23,624 posts, read 18,749,452 times
Quote:
Was wondering where you went.....should have known once too much positivity was perceived, the nattering nabob of negativism would be back!

I was starting to think AlfieBoy was the only one who could get you to...errr...."contribute". haha

Glad I could throw you a bone...

Anyway, name one city in America that isn't a mixed bag. Name one city that doesn't have a major class divide right now. If you can, I assure you they are a major exception to the rule if they are indeed actually a city.

The point stands, however, that if Woonsocket - Pawtucket - Central Falls poverty was subtracted from the equation, the rate would sink like a stone. This is not, mind you, a rebuke of those cities altogether, I wish they would be improved. It is more of an admission about where the state has some major challenges.

Funny how even that was perceived incorrectly. Oh wait, no it was completely predictable!
I knew I was missed. I knew it!

And stay away from your fellow "boy". He is bad news.

The point does not quite stand however, especially if one spouts off a few smaller cities and conveniently leaves out the largest city in the state (that also has the most poverty). You can subtract Providence, Pawtucket, C.F., Woonsocket, WW, the rough parts of NP, EP, Cranston, Warwick and Newport; but then you have lost more than half the state! RI is the most urban state in the country. Trying to imagine it without its cities is well, so RnResque.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island