Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 12:25 PM

1,202 posts, read 2,671,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
So you have no recent experience and no idea of what has happened to the city in the last few years...
I have plenty of recent experience ... Please try not to be so literal; I haven't LIVED in RI for decades, but I'm there all the time. Does that clarify things for you? And, you really need to get the prescription changed on your rose-colored glasses if any of what I wrote is a mystery to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2014, 01:25 PM

8,030 posts, read 4,705,872 times
Providence is a city of contrasts to be sure. There are areas that have genuinely been transformed from unappealing crime ridden neighborhoods to fine places to live. The one that comes to mind is the Armory/West Broadway neighborhood. This neighborhood has become very attractive to the young, hip crowd with and without tons of money. These people live there because the want to not because they have to. And, as with all desirable neighborhoods, they pay a premium in rents and mortgages to do it. The Armory is safer than before and the diversity is prized by the residents. Those who don't prize diversity wouldn't live there if paid and that's just the way the current residents want it.

Even always stable neighborhoods like Elmhurst have also improved over the last several years. And, of course Downtown has become a famously heralded place to live more recently. Before it was a grimy, desolate collection of vacant buildings.These are just a few examples of where Providence has improved.

Unfortunately, the recession hasn't helped and some poor neighborhoods have fought to maintain while others with no base of homeownership or owner occupancy, have continued to deteriorate. It's a tale of two cities. The larger point is some Providence neighborhoods have transformed themselves into incredible places to call home.

Old 03-23-2014, 02:02 PM

9,300 posts, read 14,916,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rranger View Post
I have plenty of recent experience ... Please try not to be so literal; I haven't LIVED in RI for decades, but I'm there all the time. Does that clarify things for you? And, you really need to get the prescription changed on your rose-colored glasses if any of what I wrote is a mystery to you.
You come here from somewhere else to point out that South Providence is a slum. This is not very mysterious and certainly not news. No one in these posts has said that South Providence has re-emerged as a jewel. You are missing the point big time.

Old 03-23-2014, 02:20 PM

2,040 posts, read 3,999,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
Unfortunately, the recession hasn't helped and some poor neighborhoods have fought to maintain while others with no base of homeownership or owner occupancy, have continued to deteriorate. It's a tale of two cities. The larger point is some Providence neighborhoods have transformed themselves into incredible places to call home.
Yes, and of course this is a national narrative, not just a local one. The income divide is cleaving all of America, Providence is just one unfortunate example of the meta-contagion.

Old 03-23-2014, 05:07 PM

4,420 posts, read 3,201,746 times
[quote=rranger;34003345]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post

Hmmm... Must live east of I-95 ... Union Park is between the lovely, up-and-coming West End, Olneyville and Silver Lake (I'll assume you have no idea where that is either), along Cranston Street, heading toward Cranston by the old Armory.
Your assumptions on all counts are wrong. I live west of 95 and know where Cranston Street, the West End, Silver Lake, and Olneyville are. As it happens, I was in all but Olneyville today. I'm familiar with Dexter Training Grounds and Conlan Park in that area - is either of those what you're calling "Union Park"? I can't think of another park in the area.

It's not too bad right around the armory, but the area near the other park, Althea, Linwood and Union Ave are pretty rough.

Old 03-23-2014, 05:43 PM

1,549 posts, read 3,057,078 times
[quote=rranger;34003345]
Quote:

Hmmm... Must live east of I-95 ... Union Park is between the lovely, up-and-coming West End, Olneyville and Silver Lake (I'll assume you have no idea where that is either), along Cranston Street, heading toward Cranston by the old Armory.
Providence Neighborhood Profiles please show me where Union Park is on this map.

There is Chapin Ave and Union Ave, but you will have to show me some evidence of a Union Park. There is a park along lower Union Ave before Cranston Street and it probably has a name, but the area has never been refered to as the Union Park area. The West End and Armory are still changing. Both areas have increasing college age and 20-30 year olds moving into the area. More restaurants are opening along Westminster Street, especially a duplication of some East Side restaurants, and specialty stores. No it is not a family area, but it is changing positively with many of the foreclosures being bought and improved.

Old 03-23-2014, 05:52 PM

If the moderator happens to be around, I just want to point out that the quote function isn't currently working correctly. In the post above, mr2448 is quoting rranger, not me. The same thing happened to me earlier when I quoted QuilterChick and the quote was attributed to mr2448.

Old 03-23-2014, 06:06 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,789,609 times
Quote:
If the moderator happens to be around, I just want to point out that the quote function isn't currently working correctly. In the post above, mr2448 is quoting rranger, not me. The same thing happened to me earlier when I quoted QuilterChick and the quote was attributed to mr2448.
All of the forums are messed up like that. rranger is shown as being the main quote, just isn't grayed out.

Old 03-23-2014, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
All of the forums are messed up like that. rranger is shown as being the main quote, just isn't grayed out.
Hey, your's worked!

I don't know why mine didn't, but I just didn't want anyone to accuse me of misattributing a quote....

Old 04-01-2014, 11:52 AM

286 posts, read 678,402 times
Default City rank

Federal Hill was Heaven in !940,1950 and so on...My whole family is there today...but not me,I fled
with my kids.....scuse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island