Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2024, 01:55 PM

98 posts, read 45,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Brooklyn for certain specifically for the OP. I can picture her living happily ever after with lots to do all around.

Funny, but I can see Otter arriving in NY and throwing her hat up in the air like Mary Tyler Moore did when she arrived in Minneapolis to begin a new life.

https://youtu.be/LfZBZBVlFcY
Mary Tyler Moore was born in Brooklyn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2024, 02:33 PM

7,405 posts, read 4,191,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
VA Beach, to explain that option, is the best choice for continuing my hobbies (hiking, dancing, kayaking, cycling, etc.) and proximity to my sibling, with whom I have a relationship, yet offers "a cute beach town" easily drivable (12 miles) to the amenities of a decent-sized city (Norfolk), four seasons, and a reasonable COL.
I lived in Austin Texas, but missed the four seasons. I lived in Boston, but it wasn't NYC. Boston didn't offer NYC's museums, culture and restaurants. Almost moved to Maine. Unfortunately, the prices went through the roof during the pandemic and I wasn't sure I could take the cold weather.

SE Virginia is just right for me. 1. four seasons. 2. lots of historical sites/museums. 3. Virginia Opera and other art events. 4. reasonable cost of living. Plus nice people and no snow!!!

There is a birding groups as well many gardening groups in SE Virginia. It has a lot of nature - parks, forests, shoreline.

It's been perfect for me.

I haven't explored Virginia Beach yet. It's on my list to do.

Old 05-04-2024, 05:07 PM

5,950 posts, read 5,125,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
I lived in Austin Texas, but missed the four seasons. I lived in Boston, but it wasn't NYC. Boston didn't offer NYC's museums, culture and restaurants. Almost moved to Maine. Unfortunately, the prices went through the roof during the pandemic and I wasn't sure I could take the cold weather.

SE Virginia is just right for me. 1. four seasons. 2. lots of historical sites/museums. 3. Virginia Opera and other art events. 4. reasonable cost of living. Plus nice people and no snow!!!

There is a birding groups as well many gardening groups in SE Virginia. It has a lot of nature - parks, forests, shoreline.

I've thought about living in VA. Never visited there long enough to experience the full experience.
I live in central New York (Syracuse area) and every time I see what happens when a hurricane or other bad weather hits VA, I count myself lucky. Never had to evacuate. No floods where I am. Yes we get snow but nothing like it was a few years ago.

At this age (82) I can't imagine going through stressful times like that.

Old 05-04-2024, 05:28 PM

88,733 posts, read 85,100,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
I don't post much but have been around C-D for decades. Having been a long time resident of NYC and a couple of times chasing more afforable rent by moving to Jersey City, I tend to remember names of posters with a NYC or NJ-NYC connection. Mightyqueen, if memory serves me correctly, I remember you talking about retirement in posts before you retired and then after you've retired. Now you're back in the workplace. Good for you to have the option to choose.

I'm 10 years away from the official retirement age but doing the math, I don't have enough retirement funds stashed away. Not to mention that I'm still paying back student loans. As long as I'm alive, I'll have to work until I'm literally physically unable to do so or forced out due to age-ism.
One of my new coworkers was just saying the same. She thinks she'll be working "until 70-75". I am not sure how old she is, but her oldest daughter is the same age as my only, and she's probably a few years younger than I am because I didn't have her until I was 33.

My pension is sufficient to live on, but I don't have the savings I should have, so this job will enable me to stash some away, I hope.

Old 05-04-2024, 05:28 PM

88,733 posts, read 85,100,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post

I like the Tidewater Region.

Old 05-04-2024, 05:56 PM

8,005 posts, read 3,933,609 times
Quote:
Oh, I would, in the best of all possible worlds, but I'm not that rich! Maybe if I "snowbird" and rent out each flat when I'm not living there? Hmm...

I know people who do exactly that. Definitely explore this.

Old 05-05-2024, 06:27 AM

22,062 posts, read 13,093,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Considering how long OP has been looking - will anything ever happen.
I've already explained to you once in this thread that I was not going to buy sight-unseen and am just now beginning to travel and explore places, but keep it up... It's what you do!

Old 05-05-2024, 08:44 AM

1,532 posts, read 2,270,525 times
Quote:
VA Beach may not be "compelling," but it's the only location that meets all my needs. Cute small town, proximity to large city, seaside, not too far from family and activities and other destinations, temperate. My current hobbies probably wouldn't "work" in NYC or St. Augustine, for that matter, but I suppose I could find new ones.

What's confusing to me is that if I had just "x" months to live, I'd head straight to someplace like Murrell's Inlet SC which has a wonderful, natural, undeveloped beach, or maybe the Outer Banks.

But that won't do as a lifestyle for next 30 years, so I'd have three different answers... Maybe most people would? It'd be St. Aug for the next three months, VA Beach (or just staying here and constantly traveling) for the next three years, and NYC for the next 30 years.

Not sure about that method!

Renting in Florida (or anywhere) seems prohibitively expensive now. If money were no object, I'd just go from hotel room to hotel room or rent six months or a year first in one place and then another until I'd been everywhere, but money IS an object, and I need a home base/investment.
The point of the exercise is to narrow down what is the most important to you. For me, if I had 3 months to live, I would focus on spending time with the people that are important to me in an environment that I love(mountains) In looking at 3 years, I would move just outside a lower COL city closer to my sister, near the mountains and enjoy more of the city experience on a day to day basis. In 30 years, I'd still choose #2 option.

Focus on your priorities and find compromise where you can.

Old 05-05-2024, 11:01 AM

22,062 posts, read 13,093,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middlin View Post
The point of the exercise is to narrow down what is the most important to you.
Focus on your priorities and find compromise where you can.
For three months, I would want pure sensual pleasure. For three years, opportunities to continue my current physically active lifestyle. For thirty years, a hedge against mental boredom regardless of my age or condition.

Yes, the crime in NYC does worry me; I don't agree with the politics there. But there's only one NYC!

In the course of two hours this morning, I heard VA Beach/Norfolk mentioned three times on the radio and found one souvenir t-shirt at Goodwill. Is someone trying to tell me something?

Last edited by otterhere; 05-05-2024 at 11:23 AM..

Old 05-05-2024, 11:19 AM

3,774 posts, read 4,121,940 times
Quote:
For three months, I would want pure sensual pleasure. For three years,opportunity to continue my current physically active lifestyle. For thirty years, a hedge against mental boredom regardless of age or condition.

Yes, the crime in NYC does worry me; I don't agree with the politics there. But there's only one NYC!

In the course of two hours this morning, I heard VA Beach/Norfolk mentioned three times on the radio and found one souvenir t-shirt at Goodwill. Is someone trying to tell me something?
There's your answer.

As other posters have said, it is very easy to travel anywhere from NYC if you ever want a change of weather or scenery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement