Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2024, 10:57 AM

37,653 posts, read 46,084,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Oh, I would, in the best of all possible worlds, but I'm not that rich! Maybe if I "snowbird" and rent out each flat when I'm not living there? Hmm...

St. Augustine is simply a very special place: historical, beautiful, and magical, with a beach bus to Vilano. Like NOLA and Savannah, it's possessed me. Honestly not sure I could take the heat year-round, however and, because of its recent popularity, traffic is maddening!

VA Beach, to explain that option, is the best choice for continuing my hobbies (hiking, dancing, kayaking, cycling, etc.) and proximity to my sibling, with whom I have a relationship, yet offers "a cute beach town" easily drivable (12 miles) to the amenities of a decent-sized city (Norfolk), four seasons, and a reasonable COL.

It would satisfy - but it ain't NYC. On the other hand, finding housing there (especially if a coop near the beach) won't be as easy as just buying something at one of the other two destinations, which I could do today, if I wanted to. Brooklyn may be just a dream, but one worth pursuing before settling for Plan B?
Just an FYI - you won't find much in the way of "amenities" in Norfolk, that are not more plentiful in Va Beach.

There definitely is a lot of kayaking in VB - TONS in fact. Many kayaking groups, and lots and lots of water. Cycling is popular too, but not as many trails and paths as other places. Have you considered somewhere in Delaware? The cycling and kayaking options there are just incredible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2024, 11:02 AM

21,997 posts, read 13,038,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middlin View Post
As you age, how does the proximity to a sibling weigh in your decision?
I'm more apt to end up helping him that he is to end up helping me, if that's what you mean.

Another option would be to maintain my present house for a number of reasons (proximity to sibling and activities, established services, familiarity, low COL, etc.) and make this a second home, eventually to become full-time when I'm no longer as active and the sibling is gone (he's older), but it's just an option.

Not a particularly appealing one.

Old 05-03-2024, 11:38 AM

35,109 posts, read 31,388,112 times
Taxes are but one thing to consider.

I live in a deep red relatively low tax area of a deep red low tax state. I work for a blue county in a more moderate state. You sort of get what you pay for.

Old 05-03-2024, 11:56 AM

2,045 posts, read 3,360,579 times
I wish you the best and i hope you'll be happy in your retirement.

I HAD to leave NJ when i retired. I can't stand the heat and humidity and moved to Maine. (I did not live in a populated area of NJ - it was farms and pineland.) The cost of property tax and auto insurance was also outrageous.

However my guy was born and raised in Manhattan, and he enjoyed his NYC life. When he finally moved out and into NJ (around age 30) he missed it for a while, but he would not go back (at age 70). He loves the peace and quiet and "boredom" that he has here. He likes the yard and just wandering around in it with the dog, having a garden and sitting on the deck.

The months of Winter and dark (not a lot of sun during those months) get to us a little, but again we can't stand the heat so we are happy with our decision. Also cheap living up here except for paying for heating oil.

Edited to add: We cannot afford two places, but if we could - we'd go someplace like Georgia for a few months in Winter. Not as far as Florida i don't think.

Old 05-03-2024, 01:07 PM

37,500 posts, read 61,484,089 times
Quote:
Some of us require more stimulation than others. There are parks and beaches for the nature fix.

Also, you're a "we," and I'm an "I."
When I was courting, my bride and I decided that after I retired from my career, 'we' would settle somewhere rural where we could grow our own food, etc.

Old 05-03-2024, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
When I was courting, my bride and I decided that after I retired from my career, 'we' would settle somewhere rural where we could grow our own food, etc.
That's sweet. But it can get pretty boring if it's just you and corn.

Old 05-03-2024, 01:37 PM

37,500 posts, read 61,484,089 times
Quote:
That's sweet. But it can get pretty boring if it's just you and corn.
I live in a state that is over 92% forest. My land is mostly dense trees, with a quarter-mile of riverfrontage where we can go kayaking at any time. We see a lot of moose, deer, turkey, bear, etc in our yard. yesterday I was watching two young eagles playing in the sky, less than 40 feet above me.

Old 05-03-2024, 01:46 PM

1,532 posts, read 2,268,130 times
Sounds like you don't have a compelling enough reason to move VA Beach and it's just an alternative.
Have you heard of the 3,3 and 30 approach? If you had 3 months to live how would you like to live? 3 years? 30 years? For most of us, this only gets us so far as you have to be able to afford those choices.

I'd say move to the NY beach you can afford and then see what develops. I would not buy two homes with the idea of renting them out when not there. Way to many factors to go wrong. I would buy in NY with the idea of putting aside $ to rent for a time in FLA every year. That way you can adjust as things change whether it's your health, finances or level of interest.

Old 05-03-2024, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I live in a state that is over 92% forest. My land is mostly dense trees, with a quarter-mile of riverfrontage where we can go kayaking at any time. We see a lot of moose, deer, turkey, bear, etc in our yard. yesterday I was watching two young eagles playing in the sky, less than 40 feet above me.
Sounds wonderful! I love wildlife, too, but as a young-ish single retiree, I need some human contact and mental stimulation. As Little Edie Bouvier famously said, "Even cats and racoons get a little bit boring after TOO long a time!"

Old 05-03-2024, 02:46 PM

[quote=Middlin;66702705]Sounds like you don't have a compelling enough reason to move VA Beach and it's just an alternative.
Have you heard of the 3,3 and 30 approach? If you had 3 months to live how would you like to live? 3 years? 30 years? For most of us, this only gets us so far as you have to be able to afford those choices.

What's confusing to me is that if I had "x" months to live, I'd head straight to someplace like Murrell's Inlet SC which has a wonderful, natural, undeveloped beach, or maybe the Outer Banks, and just lie naked on it.

But that won't do as a lifestyle for next 30 years, so I'd have three different answers... Maybe most people would? It'd be St. Aug for the next three months, VA Beach (or just staying here and constantly travel) for the next three years, and NYC for the next 30 years.

Not sure about that method!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement