Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 12:49 PM

3,609 posts, read 7,933,976 times

Advertisements

A penny saved is a penny earned. The early bird gets the worm. A stitch in time saves nine. Rotate your tires.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 03:45 PM

106,817 posts, read 109,039,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
A penny saved is a penny earned. The early bird gets the worm. A stitch in time saves nine. Rotate your tires.
a penny saved maybe a penny earned .

but it will always be a penny without good compounding.

actually less after inflation and taxes

Old Yesterday, 07:11 PM

4,284 posts, read 5,945,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad01 View Post
If you have a chance to advice someone who is 20+ yrs from retirement what would it be

other than the usual financial stuff [ like saving more, spending less etc]

Thanks
You also need a Plan #2 as many companies will shove Senior employees out the door in their mid-50's, a decade earlier than the workers may have planned.

Plan should include:
• getting by on the income from their projected age 55 savings.
• developing the skills necessary to make themselves highly desirable as a mid-50's employee.
• building a very strong contact list for a late career hire.
• creating and sustaining the mind-set that will allow the person to acceot such a change.

Old Today, 07:19 AM

16,296 posts, read 10,440,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie&Rose View Post
Enjoy your kids....make memories.
This. Don't wait for retirement. Go out, do things, make memories. When you get to be our age you will be so glad you did.

Old Today, 08:56 AM

4,243 posts, read 4,756,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
When I was 54 I switched over to putting new 401k contributions into a Roth account. There are a couple of lines of thought on this.

The main consideration is for the survivor (wife or myself) to stay out of higher tax brackets and higher IRMAA bands. Spending will drop when it's just one of us, but nothing close to a 50% cut.

Second consideration is to possibly help pay for large expenses (dental work, home repairs, etc). Again, the concern is getting pushed into higher bands.

So... not planning to use it for spending when we first retire. Will just let it grow until a situation arises where a non-taxable withdrawal is useful.
Thank you; I appreciate you sharing.

Old Today, 04:39 PM

8,390 posts, read 4,411,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad01 View Post
wrong partner is a relative thing

we dont share the same interests or hobbies
we dont like the same places to visit
but intimacy is good and we agree on raising kids the same way

no marriage = no divorce

I did all the traveling i wanted to , no desire anymore
other than wanted to see land of slavs well that cant happen for a long time anyway

agree benefits are very important
I don't have kids, but I believe it's important that you enroll them in good schools despite the cost of private schools. In addition to being the best thing you can buy to your kids, it greatly increases probability that they won't depend on you when you are retired. Re land of Slavs, there are many Slavic lands that are not in a war (eg, Chech Republic, or Poland, or South Slavic countries) where you can travel. But I hear what you say; I was all set on a Trans-Siberian Railway trip from Beijing to Moscow before the hell broke loose. Doesn't seem that particular trip will be happening for me, probably ever .

Old Today, 07:14 PM

7,788 posts, read 6,404,338 times
Plan where you will retire. Visit the possibilities in all seasons. Each place is different. Seattle gets a tiresome volume of rain, Arizona gets serious heat in the summer, Hawaii is said to be expensive.
We moved to Florida twice, have no plans to ever leave. Some folks like to go skiing, I would prefer sailing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement