Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2024, 12:37 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,759 posts, read 58,150,330 times

Advertisements

20yrs from retirement, just may turn into TOMORROW.

Be prepared to make that decision (today).

I exited 18 yrs before FRA. My boss gave me 10 seconds to decide. That was plenty of time to make that 'easy' decision.

Retire early, retire often (You might not get it right the first time.

Practice improves your negotiating skills. (and clarifies your expectations_)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2024, 01:05 PM

6,775 posts, read 5,075,992 times
Pretty open ended, haha...

Watch the sun rise over the Grand Canyon.

Stay up all night to watch a lunar eclipse.

Try snorkeling or scuba diving.

Don't forget to floss.

Old 04-24-2024, 02:26 PM

17,416 posts, read 16,579,569 times
Watch your diet. Avoid sugary/starchy processed foods. You do not want Type 2 and the meds that come along with it.

Exercise but be sure to switch it up and cross train so that no one area of your body is constantly being pounded to the point of wearing out.

Invest time, love and money into your children while they are at home. Prepare them to launch well.

Agree with those suggesting Roth IRA contributions.

Agree with staying on top of your debt and working towards paying off your house.

Agree also with those saying to enjoy life and have fun experiences while you're young and healthy. The older you get the more things go off the table for you.

Old 04-24-2024, 04:19 PM

1,406 posts, read 1,182,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Watch your diet. Avoid sugary/starchy processed foods. You do not want Type 2 and the meds that come along with it.

Exercise but be sure to switch it up and cross train so that no one area of your body is constantly being pounded to the point of wearing out.

Invest time, love and money into your children while they are at home. Prepare them to launch well.

Agree with those suggesting Roth IRA contributions.

Agree with staying on top of your debt and working towards paying off your house.

Agree also with those saying to enjoy life and have fun experiences while you're young and healthy. The older you get the more things go off the table for you.

OP - here's a thought exercise:
Imagine yourself a couple decades from now, and you know you will are not long for this world.
Looking back on your life, what regrets would you have (places to see, things to learn or do, relationships with others, etc.).

Well - what can you do between now and then to make those not regrets of missed things, but instead fond memories of what you DID do with your life?

Old 04-24-2024, 04:32 PM

13,665 posts, read 9,738,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyInSD View Post
OP - here's a thought exercise:
Imagine yourself a couple decades from now, and you know you will are not long for this world.
Looking back on your life, what regrets would you have (places to see, things to learn or do, relationships with others, etc.).

Well - what can you do between now and then to make those not regrets of missed things, but instead fond memories of what you DID do with your life?
This exercise is double-edged. Imagine that you're going to die 5 minutes from now. What are your regrets? My answer would be, that whereas assuredly I've lived an imperfect, flawed and occasionally foolish life, there's nothing incredibly compelling that I yearn to do, that is undoable, now that only 5 minutes (counting down... only 4 minutes!) remain. So instead I'd just sit quietly and think. Maybe write a final note (3 minutes left...). The note would be brief, perhaps a bit florid on account of personal vanity, but (2 minutes left), it wouldn't be exasperated. It wouldn't be some screed of self-berating or a wailing at a cruel-world that didn't leave enough opportunity or capacity to (down to the final minute now) enjoy oneself. It would be mostly... acceptance.

Time's up.

Are we still here? OK, then... extrapolate from 5 minutes, to 20 years. Is your answer starkly different? Mine isn't.

Old 04-24-2024, 08:55 PM

35,105 posts, read 31,373,524 times
I'm probably a little more than two decades out, but here's the advice I'd have given myself earlier on.

1) Look for a job with a defined benefit pension, preferably government in a financially solvent state. If you are an all-star in the corporate world, you'll probably come out better than with a government position, but after working for numerous private businesses and now a local government, the government pay is competitive (if not better) than many smaller private sector companies, especially in flyover country.

2) Salary isn't everything. Benefits and flexibility mean a lot. I work from home. Most people would love to have my lifestyle. I always semi-joke that I'm somewhere between employed, unemployed, and semi-retired, but a paycheck comes in every two weeks.

3) Picking the wrong partner is probably worse than not having one at all. I've seen a lot of my friends and family go through contentious divorces and custody battles. I know a lot of people who are in miserable marriages. No one is going to be perfect, but I would rather be alone than be with someone who just adds stress and problems to my life.

4) Things like travel probably shouldn't be put off indefinitely. Who knows what can happen with health.

5) You shouldn't have kids unless you are 100% certain you want them and are fully committed to that partner.

Old 04-26-2024, 07:33 AM

6,826 posts, read 10,536,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWoodle View Post
20 years out may be a little early to check out AARP. You may have to be 50 before becoming a member. A spouse could be younger. You could check out the issues AARP is dealing with.

When you join AARP may be bombarded with advertisements designed for older people.
You can actually join AARP at any age - I joined when I was like 39 or so to get a cell phone discount.

Old 04-26-2024, 07:44 AM

7,195 posts, read 9,341,506 times
Don't allow yourself to get fat.

The best way to lose weight is to never have gained it in the first place.

Educate yourself greatly in the areas of physical health, nutrition, exercise and mental health.

Old 04-26-2024, 08:06 AM

491 posts, read 889,208 times
I'm also about 20 years out, have the state benefits job with pension but am utterly miserable. It's probably the only way I'll be able to retire early--running the numbers, even still saving 15% in a private sector 401k job, I'll wind up with a lot less. I fantasize about retirement daily. I keep trying to keep my eye on the prize, but I don't think I can handle it 18-20 more years. Even treating it as just a paycheck and trading time for money doesn't make the daily grind any better.

I've traveled for work at a previous job and loved it. I saw areas of the country I might have never seen. If you enjoy that, travel at every opportunity. Pick up hobbies; do things you enjoy outside of work and anything that's a physical activity, do it now in the event of health issues later. Yes, pick the right marriage partner. That's easier said than done, as I don't know anyone who goes into a marriage knowing or anticipating it to fail.

I spend tons of time on this forum to gain perspectives of retirement--what people did, how they've lived/saved, if they loved/hated their jobs, how they made it all these years working without going insane, activities they do in retirement, what the life of freedom is like, etc.

I was once laid off with a severance package close to the holidays. I had that, plus unemployment, plus an occasional cash job running errands for someone. It was wonderful and a taste of retirement--a 3 legged stool of income with freedom to do whatever (on a VERY limited budget). I learned that I love to cook. The house had never been cleaner, yard maintained, etc. Best of all, I felt more productive being a "house husband" than I did at any other job. I also go to sleep in and stay up late. After that, all I've done is look forward to retirement; it ruined me.

Old 04-26-2024, 11:40 AM

1,328 posts, read 863,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I'm probably a little more than two decades out, but here's the advice I'd have given myself earlier on.

1) Look for a job with a defined benefit pension, preferably government in a financially solvent state. If you are an all-star in the corporate world, you'll probably come out better than with a government position, but after working for numerous private businesses and now a local government, the government pay is competitive (if not better) than many smaller private sector companies, especially in flyover country.

2) Salary isn't everything. Benefits and flexibility mean a lot. I work from home. Most people would love to have my lifestyle. I always semi-joke that I'm somewhere between employed, unemployed, and semi-retired, but a paycheck comes in every two weeks.

3) Picking the wrong partner is probably worse than not having one at all. I've seen a lot of my friends and family go through contentious divorces and custody battles. I know a lot of people who are in miserable marriages. No one is going to be perfect, but I would rather be alone than be with someone who just adds stress and problems to my life.

4) Things like travel probably shouldn't be put off indefinitely. Who knows what can happen with health.

5) You shouldn't have kids unless you are 100% certain you want them and are fully committed to that partner.
wrong partner is a relative thing

we dont share the same interests or hobbies
we dont like the same places to visit
but intimacy is good and we agree on raising kids the same way

no marriage = no divorce

I did all the traveling i wanted to , no desire anymore
other than wanted to see land of slavs well that cant happen for a long time anyway

agree benefits are very important
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement