Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2024, 09:28 AM

18,737 posts, read 33,433,985 times

Advertisements

I hope there will be Uber or cabs or such where I live in the future. It's a high-end rural evolving mountain town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2024, 11:13 PM

22,488 posts, read 12,039,050 times
I thought of this thread when I saw this article. That said, I don't know if anyone responding to this thread would find it helpful. I found it interesting for those who are trying to decide if a 55+ residence is right for them:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/reti...l_article_link

Old 04-28-2024, 08:19 AM

18,737 posts, read 33,433,985 times
^^
Thank you for the post.

Old 04-28-2024, 08:25 AM

19,448 posts, read 27,889,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
Here's the parent company website. They manage a couple dozen locations.

https://www.abcmcorp.com/

Select "Locations" at the top. Then select a location on the map. Then click on "Information". Then download the Information Packet. That contains a summary of the rates, apartment plans, and features specific to the facility. For example, some have a gardening area, some allow a pet, etc.
Note that ALL their locations are in Iowa.

Old 04-29-2024, 06:25 PM

5,950 posts, read 5,121,055 times
This has been interesting to read.

I have become a hermit or whatever term you want to use. 82 y/o woman, divorced long time, 2 grown distant children in their 60s not interested in having a relationship with me. I have withdrawn from all things social, watch too much TV, sleep too much. Thankfully I was never a big fan of alcohol. Not a party girl. So now I've found myself lonely and not a lot of courage to start over anywhere. I've done that a few times.

After some unfortunate things that happened job-wise, my finances took a hit. I was in a hurry to be divorced from husband (actually he wanted to get married to someone else) so I made some bad choices in my separation agreement. But that was 40 years ago. I was young 40, worked a good job, bought a condo, thought I was all set. Then life changed and not in a nice way.

I'm in central NY, senior low-income apartment. Rent is $682/month. Heat and electric are paid for. So feel fortunate in that regard. But I do dream of something else but doubt I have enough money for it

Old Today, 08:34 AM

4,854 posts, read 3,655,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I think I saw something like that in Denver rental apartments, meals and shuttle transportation and a monthly rent that is reasonable for those amenities. A minimal buy-in- like$1000. Has anyone heard of this kind of rental? It's what I would consider if certain physical compromises came up.
There are lots of these sort of senior apart ments here in DFW/TX but most require $100,000 or more "buy in" then they charge monthly rent and other assorted fees.

Not for me...I would never sink that much money into an apartment, knowing I'd never see the money again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement