Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2024, 10:59 AM

3 posts, read 1,124 times

Advertisements

A friend of mine retired and moved to an European country. Having light form of dementia, he did not care to do research and find out out that he was supposed to submit form SSA-21 within 30 days of the move. Now being there for more than a year, he asked what is the best way to handle it. Should he submit the form and indicate that he moved a month ago or submit the form with the accurate move date. In the former case any way somebody will try to validate and in the latter would he be penalized?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2024, 11:58 AM

7,528 posts, read 13,662,576 times
Your friend should contact the nearest US Embassy to speak with their Federal Benefits Unit (FBU). FBU's are there to assist US citizens with such issues.

Here is link to the UK unit.

https://uk.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen...eral-benefits/

there is a link there to find the FBU in their country

Old 05-01-2024, 01:32 PM

He did. He asked this question as a general question and they said once the person moves to a different country, he/she has to fill out form SSA-21 and send to them. The question is how to fill it out.

Old 05-01-2024, 02:02 PM

24,679 posts, read 11,023,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snake1122 View Post
He did. He asked this question as a general question and they said once the person moves to a different country, he/she has to fill out form SSA-21 and send to them. The question is how to fill it out.
Then he needs to ask THAT question.

Old 05-02-2024, 08:49 AM

9,209 posts, read 6,264,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snake1122 View Post
A friend of mine retired and moved to an European country. Having light form of dementia, he did not care to do research and find out out that he was supposed to submit form SSA-21 within 30 days of the move. Now being there for more than a year, he asked what is the best way to handle it. Should he submit the form and indicate that he moved a month ago or submit the form with the accurate move date. In the former case any way somebody will try to validate and in the latter would he be penalized?

Since your friend will have to sign the form with this statement, I wouldn't recommend lying on the form.

"Under penalties of perjury, I declare that I have examined the information on this form and to the best of my knowledge and belief it is true, correct, and complete. I understand that anyone who knowingly gives a false or misleading statement about a material fact in this information, or causes someone else to do so, commits a crime and may be sent to prison, or may face other penalties, or both."

Old Today, 08:54 AM

I just came across the following post

Quote:
NOTE: Failure to report a change may result in an
overpayment. If you’re overpaid, we’ll recover any
payments not due to you. If you fail to report changes in
a timely way or you intentionally make a false statement,
we may stop your benefits. For the 1st violation, your
benefits will stop for 6 months; for the 2nd violation, 12
months; and for the 3rd violation, 24 months.
So sounds like he can expect up to 6 months of lost benefits
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement