Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2024, 08:50 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
^^^
Not all Boomers parents did anything about their future or their kids'. I am so tired of the assumption that my working class/poor GG parents gave me anything.
Mine, either. We weren't all, or even most of us, rich, and many of us did not go to college because it was still a thing in our time to go directly into the work force.

It never even occurred to me to consider college. My oldest sister, eight years old than me, who graduated from high school in 1968, went to college because it was being pushed that everyone go at that time. She drank a lot of beer and failed all her classes, and my mother said "that's it, no one else is going to waste our money like that. You get a job and pay board."

So college was not even on my radar. I remember seeing the signs in the hall at school for the SATs and I hadn't the faintest idea what they were.

Old 04-23-2024, 09:00 PM

7,566 posts, read 3,248,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Mine, either. We weren't all, or even most of us, rich, and many of us did not go to college because it was still a thing in our time to go directly into the work force.

It never even occurred to me to consider college. My oldest sister, eight years old than me, who graduated from high school in 1968, went to college because it was being pushed that everyone go at that time. She drank a lot of beer and failed all her classes, and my mother said "that's it, no one else is going to waste our money like that. You get a job and pay board."

So college was not even on my radar. I remember seeing the signs in the hall at school for the SATs and I hadn't the faintest idea what they were.

I hear that same story from my much older siblings. Our eldest sister mom and dad paid to go to college partied and dropped out. So, that was the end of it. The rest of us worked our way through college (mostly at older ages). My brother 14 years my senior actually signed out of high school at 15 and went straight to college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2024, 10:30 PM

17,581 posts, read 13,355,792 times
We just happened to get our investment statements today.

MrsM's (401K and Roth) is easily far less than 25% of mine. Without our investments and my 401 and Roth, she would never make it if (God forbid) she had one major medical setback.

We have a wonderful financial planner who we have worked with for the past 20 years. She helped salvage a portfolio that Merrill Lynch almost decimated. We retired at 70 almost 10 years ago and still live the same lifestyle we did when we both were working

With that PLANNED spending, our portfolio is still continuing to grow.

KEEP saving and find a GREAT PLANNER!

Old Yesterday, 04:53 AM

6,450 posts, read 3,147,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
^^^
Not all Boomers parents did anything about their future or their kids'. I am so tired of the assumption that my working class/poor GG parents gave me anything.
I know how you feel. My father died young, while I was still in my very early 20s, and still living "at home". I was left to "pick up the pieces", and fortunately had just begun a decent job, which allowed me to "help out", financially. At the same time, the girl who I thought was my "Miss Right", broke up with me, and my job went on a long run of 6 day work weeks, so my social life was in the dumpster, too.

Yes, my "true Miss Right" finally came along, when I was in my late 30s, and we got married. A few years later, my mother developed dementia, and moved into assisted living. Her house had to be sold, to cover her living expenses, and in the end, there was very little left over.

When people ask me about "my inheritance", I tell them that all I inherited was responsibility.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
....We have a wonderful financial planner who we have worked with for the past 20 years. She helped salvage a portfolio that Merrill Lynch almost decimated. We retired at 70 almost 10 years ago and still live the same lifestyle we did when we both were working

With that PLANNED spending, our portfolio is still continuing to grow.

KEEP saving and find a GREAT PLANNER!
Sorry to hear about your negative experience with Merrill Lynch. I've been with them for about 30 years, and they've done well for me.......

Old Yesterday, 05:13 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
I hear that same story from my much older siblings. Our eldest sister mom and dad paid to go to college partied and dropped out. So, that was the end of it. The rest of us worked our way through college (mostly at older ages). My brother 14 years my senior actually signed out of high school at 15 and went straight to college.
My younger sister got her degree at 46 and her Master's a few years later. I still made/make more than she does.

I did try to go to college for awhile, taking classes at night after work, but my brain just cannot grasp algebra. They tested me when I started night school at the university and because I failed the math, I had to pay for a non-credit remedial math class. Failed that, too. Did great in Accounting I, II, III, I far excelled at any English courses, got A's in Business Law, Psycholigy...just cannot get basic algebra to stick in my brain. I would think I got it in class, but by the time I got home, it was gone and just looked like hieroglyphics to me.

I was getting exhausted from living a 7 am to 11 pm life 4 days a week, and when I realized I would never be able to graduate anyway without math, I gave up.

I worked my way up by taking on work about my pay grade until I got the promotion, and after a while, people didn't even know I didn't have a degree.

I just got hired again. No one asked. It is my experience that counted to them.

Old Yesterday, 05:28 AM

1,420 posts, read 753,549 times
Heh, college algebra was my kryptonite. I made it through, but barely. One of my profs told me I couldn't be a computer programmer without being strong in math, so maybe I should think of something else to major in. 40 years later I retired after decades as an application developer. So much for needing to be strong in math.

Old Yesterday, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
My younger sister got her degree at 46 and her Master's a few years later. I still made/make more than she does.

I did try to go to college for awhile, taking classes at night after work, but my brain just cannot grasp algebra. They tested me when I started night school at the university and because I failed the math, I had to pay for a non-credit remedial math class. Failed that, too. Did great in Accounting I, II, III, I far excelled at any English courses, got A's in Business Law, Psycholigy...just cannot get basic algebra to stick in my brain. I would think I got it in class, but by the time I got home, it was gone and just looked like hieroglyphics to me.

I was getting exhausted from living a 7 am to 11 pm life 4 days a week, and when I realized I would never be able to graduate anyway without math, I gave up.

I worked my way up by taking on work about my pay grade until I got the promotion, and after a while, people didn't even know I didn't have a degree.

I just got hired again. No one asked. It is my experience that counted to them.

Yeah, I agree education and work are separate subjects to a great extent.

I did a BS in Biz with an Acctg major. I got a high GPA and participated with the Acctg fraternities, etc. (even though I worked full time and went to night school). I always enjoyed school. I used to go after school when I was in high school to get extra help with algebra -- LOL. When I went back to school I took Algebra at the community college (a couple of classes). I also took two or three quarters of Statistics. Then at the university I had to take Biz Calculus I & II and Quantitative methods. Maybe I am leaving something out (there was so much math). I made friends with an older lady going back to get her MBA and we teamed up on Calc I & II and Quantitative Methods. We essentially met before class and went over the homework and teamed up for a project in Quant. It is really helpful to spend extra time with anything like that where you have to work hard.

I really wanted to do computer programming. But, at the time you needed to be available during the day because you needed to be up at the university computer lab. I could not do that as I needed to go to night school.

In terms of translating it all into success in the work place I think it is a separate thing entirely. So, if you want to be an analyst because it's who you are and you loathe advmiinistravia and are repulsed by the idea of having people reporting to you then you are after a different kind of success. I work with people their only goal is to keep moving up and they do whatever they have to in order to do that. That's not me.

Advanced degrees would have been nice. But, five years of night school to get my BS was enough for me.

Old Yesterday, 11:26 AM

7,815 posts, read 3,817,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
Assembly was / is done overseas
Currently, yes. The US government chased both manufacturing and assembly overseas (and recently wants manufacturing to come back). Back in the early days (late 60s & early 70s) much assembly occurred in Mountain View and Sunnyvale in Silicon Valley.

Of course, that was back when you were a mere a toddler.

Old Yesterday, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
Currently, yes. The US government chased both manufacturing and assembly overseas (and recently wants manufacturing to come back). Back in the early days (late 60s & early 70s) much assembly occurred in Mountain View and Sunnyvale in Silicon Valley.

Of course, that was back when you were a mere a toddler.
I thought you were talking about semi conductors... ...because most of that was done in the US.

I was a toddler attending school, easter egg hunts, the carnival and parades in Henderson (and of course food and gambling at the hotels in Vegas).

Old Yesterday, 01:23 PM

17,581 posts, read 13,355,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
I know how you feel. My father died young, while I was still in my very early 20s, and still living "at home". I was left to "pick up the pieces", and fortunately had just begun a decent job, which allowed me to "help out", financially. At the same time, the girl who I thought was my "Miss Right", broke up with me, and my job went on a long run of 6 day work weeks, so my social life was in the dumpster, too.

Yes, my "true Miss Right" finally came along, when I was in my late 30s, and we got married. A few years later, my mother developed dementia, and moved into assisted living. Her house had to be sold, to cover her living expenses, and in the end, there was very little left over.

When people ask me about "my inheritance", I tell them that all I inherited was responsibility.....

Sorry to hear about your negative experience with Merrill Lynch. I've been with them for about 30 years, and they've done well for me.......
Can you say Dot.COM bubble and Munder Net Net

That was before we educated ourselves and trusted the advisor. Thank God we recovered and increased substantially! With Real, professional help
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement