Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2024, 01:39 PM

7,807 posts, read 3,817,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
allen bradley had found that women were much better at repetitive tasks like on an assembly line then men .

men would lose focus doing the same task over and over and over ..

women stood up much better and so all assembly was done by women
In the early days of random access memory, the assembly process was a bit like sewing - pulling wires through the center of "core" memory. (I say assembly as the assembly process was different from and occurred after the manufacturing process)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2024, 01:46 PM

7,570 posts, read 3,248,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
In the early days of random access memory, the assembly process was a bit like sewing - pulling wires through the center of "core" memory. (I say assembly as the assembly process was different from and occurred after the manufacturing process)

Assembly was / is done overseas

Old 04-23-2024, 02:05 PM

45,380 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayHammer View Post
Boomers inherited from their Greatest Generation parents an economic juggernaut in a relatively stable society with incredibly strong and functional institutions.

For those Boomers who didn't bother to save for their own old age, I just can't feel sorry for them.

Help my Millennial butt, who as a life-long frugal saver, continuously employed in the workforce, a veteran, homeowner, with no college debt.....please give me a reason to shed a single tear for broke Boomers.
I think you forgot a couple things with that "juggernaut". You know things like a recession every three years, a collapsing economy from the mid/late 70s into the 80s that saw entire industries shut down and either disappear or come back as a shadow of their former selves. Then there were the years of double digit inflation, double digit unemployment and double digit interest rates.

And the Boomers were not the ones in charge during those years.

On the other hand, you grew up in an era of low interest rates, low unemployment and increased productivity with a baby recession in 1992, another one after 9/11 and a major one in 2008.

Old 04-23-2024, 02:49 PM

11,128 posts, read 9,760,240 times
Quote:
Boomers inherited from their Greatest Generation parents an economic juggernaut in a relatively stable society with incredibly strong and functional institutions.

For those Boomers who didn't bother to save for their own old age, I just can't feel sorry for them.

Help my Millennial butt, who as a life-long frugal saver, continuously employed in the workforce, a veteran, homeowner, with no college debt.....please give me a reason to shed a single tear for broke Boomers.
As a late boomer, I only really have sympathy for those who were beset by expensive health issues and disability, or late career layoffs (especially those whose pension disappeared with layoff), or something truly beyond their control, despite their prior diligence.

Old 04-23-2024, 05:42 PM

35,072 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I think you forgot a couple things with that "juggernaut". You know things like a recession every three years, a collapsing economy from the mid/late 70s into the 80s that saw entire industries shut down and either disappear or come back as a shadow of their former selves. Then there were the years of double digit inflation, double digit unemployment and double digit interest rates.

On the other hand, you grew up in an era of low interest rates, low unemployment and increased productivity with a baby recession in 1992, another one after 9/11 and a major one in 2008.
I don't think the generation wars comments are very helpful.

The thing is that most generations had something working against them. Older Boomers had Vietnam and stagflation in the 70s. Middle Boomers had the fallout from that and high interest rates in the 80s. Gen X had the early 90s recession then the Dotcom crisis. Millennials came of age into the Great Recession. The current generation has the high inflation environment.

Old 04-23-2024, 05:48 PM

13,654 posts, read 9,714,475 times
Quote:
Indeed. The Modern World (TM) wasn't built by the Boomers. It arose, loosely speaking, between 1930 and 1970. The people who built it are either long-dead, recently dead, or in extreme old age.

Looking back over my own lifetime, it is shocking how little there was, as to substantive things that have changed. Already in my childhood, we had electronic calculators... clunky, functionally limited and expensive, but already having supplanted slide-rules. Computers weren't yet found in homes or schools, but payroll was already computerized, banking was computerized, and scientific calculations had long been computerized. Changes between then-and-now, are in quantity, not in kind. A person born in 1900 and dead in 1980, would have experienced vastly more change, and vastly more change for the positive, than what my generation has seen, or is likely to see.

Thus for technology. We can also blame the modern regulatory state, on the 1930-1970 period. Numbers have of course mushroomed since then... dollars here, dollars there. The shelf-space needed to accommodate the 3-ring-binders with regulatory filings, is now vastly larger. But the basic apparatus was already in place by 1970. If any Boomers were involved in building it, the oldest would have been only 24.

Old 04-23-2024, 06:16 PM

7,570 posts, read 3,248,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post

The thing is that most generations had something working against them. Older Boomers had Vietnam and stagflation in the 70s. Middle Boomers had the fallout from that and high interest rates in the 80s. Gen X had the early 90s recession then the Dotcom crisis. Millennials came of age into the Great Recession. The current generation has the high inflation environment.

The thing is all that shxt has been working against most of us at the same time. It's not just one lone generation. If a boomer is your parent and you think they were so advantaged then you benefitted from it too. As a young, orphaned boomer I never felt particularly advantaged. If the world ends in 5 years and I'm 67 then I am advantaged to a younger person because I lived longer.

Old 04-23-2024, 06:17 PM

10,351 posts, read 8,569,440 times
Quote:

Doesn’t matter what generation it is. If they didn’t save in most cases they get no sympathy. No one is asking you to shed a tear. That’s just your anger speaking out.

Old 04-23-2024, 06:21 PM

45,380 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post

What generation wars comment? Sometimes reality has to be injected.

As far as "high inflation" goes, it was one year. One. Inflation, while higher than the last decade or two, is now back into more or less historic territory.

Inflation in the US since 1960. The first couple sections compares the US to the EU:
https://www.worlddata.info/america/u...ng%20of%202023.

Another chart:
https://www.macrotrends.net/global-m...ation-rate-cpi

From the World Bank since 1960:
https://data.worldbank.org/indicator...G?locations=US

BLS since 2014:
https://data.bls.gov/timeseries/CUUR...iew=pct_12mths

If you read through what you quoted I did indeed mention the 1992 recession as well as the dotcom/9-11 recession and also the 2008 meltdown.

Old 04-23-2024, 07:48 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:

Thank you!

Some people don't have an effing clue do they?

Boomers got hit with seemingly endless economic upheavals that changed workplaces/employment literally from under their feet.

Two iconic Hollywood films from 1980's; 9 to 5 and Working Girl showed things as they were then and many Boomers either expected to find themselves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qni6HOyPNBA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQBAc1qCMOc

Black Monday (1987), Enron, Recession of 1981–82, Recession of 2007-2009, Six Sigma, then Lean Six Sigma, changes/advances in technology resulted in an American labour market vastly different than what many expected, were educated to work in and so forth.

People who were made redundant or otherwise out of work often just barely got back on their feet again before another economic jolt happened. If you were any sort of minority (coloured, female, over 45 or 50, etc...) finding a new gig wasn't always easy, especially at previous pay grade.

Many Boomers are entering retirement years with no so great finances for many reasons. Prime among them is one or more prolonged periods of being unemployed. This and or they spent down savings to live upon, Saw investments wiped out (and didn't plan or recoup wisely)..

After past few recessions one trend is clear; many persons simply dropped out of labour force. If they were anywhere near retirement age (that is able to file for SS), they just gave up banging their heads against walls and took benefits soon as possible.

Boomers have a well deserved reputation for reinventing themselves. That's a good thing because many have had to switch careers or whatever several times during course of their prime earning years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement