Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 06:12 AM

17,353 posts, read 16,498,076 times

Advertisements

Saving for retirement isn't an all of a sudden thing, it's a lifelong habit. To have nothing saved for themselves means they have neglected saving for decades - 40+ years!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 06:14 AM

106,599 posts, read 108,757,383 times
most americans have little or no savings all their lives , so why should no retirement savings be a surprise

Old Yesterday, 06:22 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,933,464 times
My wife and I always meet with our Financial Planner together. Often her questions are better than mine because I am making assumptions regarding what ISN'T said. Most times my assumptions are correct, but sometimes not; hence, tbe value of her questions.

Old Yesterday, 06:23 AM

14,967 posts, read 9,797,636 times
Well ... we all live and die with our choices. Are you a victim of those choices? or a benefactor. If your on top of the dirt, you can still change things.

Old Yesterday, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
most americans have little or no savings all their lives , so why should no retirement savings be a surprise
Many fast food and retail employers offer 401Ks with match. It's not that there aren't plenty of super easy ways to invest and save for retirement, you do not have to be some sort of genius or financial whiz to participate in those plans.

It's like never going to the dentist for years and years and then complaining that your teeth are falling out. Nobody LIKES to do it but they realize that they have to do it or suffer the consequences of their own neglect.

Old Yesterday, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Many fast food and retail employers offer 401Ks with match. It's not that there aren't plenty of super easy ways to invest and save for retirement, you do not have to be some sort of genius or financial whiz to participate in those plans.

It's like never going to the dentist for years and years and then complaining that your teeth are falling out. Nobody LIKES to do it but they realize that they have to do it or suffer the consequences of their own neglect.
but you need the money to put in one .

especially here , lower level jobs are barely letting people live hand to mouth in the tri state area as it’s called.

i was on the 401k committee at work at one time .

almost no low level jobs participated

Old Yesterday, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
but you need the money to put in one .

especially here , lower level jobs are barely letting people live hand to mouth in the tri state area as it’s called.

i was on the 401k committee at work at one time .

almost no low level jobs participated
I lived in a high cost of living area when I was first starting out. I had a job that paid diddly squat and I was lucky enough to have older coworkers who convinced me that I had to start participating in my 401K at least up to the match. I'd say "But I can't afford it!" and they would say "You can not afford NOT to!".

And they were right. I am glad now that I listened to them.

Old Yesterday, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I lived in a high cost of living area when I was first starting out. I had a job that paid diddly squat and I was lucky enough to have older coworkers who convinced me that I had to start participating in my 401K at least up to the match. I'd say "But I can't afford it!" and they would say "You can not afford NOT to!".

And they were right. I am glad now that I listened to them.
same . in my early years i had 3 gigs going on to make sure i always had something to invest .

i was an hvac tech and worked for a company .

at night i did side work

i was also a working drummer …

Old Yesterday, 07:35 AM

506 posts, read 261,104 times
I do appreciate the challenges faced by those with limited incomes. I was very fortunate. Started with nothing, worked my way through college, made some very good choices, etc. My complaint is not with those with financial challenges.

My complaint is with relatively high earners who live beyond their means, bigger and bigger houses, huge mortgages, etc. and then complain they can't retire. We all make choices, some better than others.

Old Yesterday, 08:05 AM

37,452 posts, read 61,366,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Starting now until 2030, 30.4 million Americans are expected to turn 65. Many are financially unprepared for retirement and will be relying solely upon SS.

As predicted by some years ago largest cohort of these "peak boomers" will be women, and they in good number (about 52%) lack sufficient financial resources for retirement.
It is all about personal perception.

A working class individual is accustomed to a lifestyle that their full-time career has allowed. They are commonly intimidated by the idea of living on 1/4 of that income.

But the 'problem' is entirely a matter of perception.

Once your home is paid for [no debt], and you quit working many of your expenses drop way down. Commuting is less, wardrobe expenses are less, and eating a meal while in mid-workshift stops completely.

I have been retired 23 years, it is not as difficult as people will imagine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement