Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 04:17 PM

45,337 posts, read 60,512,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Hence my conviction that Social Security would eventually have to be means tested and those who don't have an immediate and compelling NEED for Social Security benefits will have them reduced, or more likely heavily taxed.

Cutting sort of violates the letter of the law as regards their promise. Taxing benefits merely breaks the spirit of the law. You still gross your promised benefits, you just don't get to keep much of them after taxation.

Of course, the other "solution" is just to put everything on the soaring national debt and bring about a faster world financial collapse. That is another way to deal with it. Deal with it by not dealing with it.

I just keep hoping I am gone first.
It already is means tested to an extent with the taxation of benefits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 04:32 PM

7,747 posts, read 3,785,899 times
Quote:
Hence my conviction that Social Security would eventually have to be means tested

You DO REALIZE, don't you, that Social Security benefits already are means tested - and have been for a very, very long time.

Old Yesterday, 04:59 PM

4,861 posts, read 4,796,455 times
[quote=BugsyPal;66658486]Starting now until 2030, 30.4 million Americans are expected to turn 65. [quote]

How many of that number have already retired? Boomer birth years are 1946-1964, so boomers have been retiring for many years. I retired at 52, 25 years ago, and know many folks who retired earlier than 65. Seems that CNBC is using an issue that may be a new issue to get clicks.

Old Yesterday, 05:02 PM

4,861 posts, read 4,796,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Who do you refer to as relict?

That's an old term once used for widows. It went out of fashion a century or more ago, although you occasionally come across it in a document.

Old Yesterday, 05:08 PM

506 posts, read 259,785 times
It is hard to believe that so many of the boomer and post boomer generation are so poorly prepared for retirement, even many who have good jobs. The problem in my experience is that many simply do not live within their means, do not invest in 401-ks or IRAs, and then hit 65 and wonder what happened.

I retired at 57 about 20 years ago and even being fully retired my income is not much less than when I was working ( adjusted to current dollars ). I lived within my means, invested wisely, paid off my mortgage early, and continue to have good health. Some of my colleagues ( 65+ ) who were also making good money are still not retired.

Maybe some of it is the "live for now forget about the future" mentality. And maybe some are just not very bright. Do people realy think that Social Security only will enable them to retire ?

Old Yesterday, 05:46 PM

22,568 posts, read 47,624,621 times
Quote:
Hence my conviction that Social Security would eventually have to be means tested and those who don't have an immediate and compelling NEED for Social Security benefits will have them reduced, or more likely heavily taxed.
already happens...

Old Yesterday, 06:00 PM

88,516 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upminster-1 View Post
It is hard to believe that so many of the boomer and post boomer generation are so poorly prepared for retirement, even many who have good jobs. The problem in my experience is that many simply do not live within their means, do not invest in 401-ks or IRAs, and then hit 65 and wonder what happened.

I retired at 57 about 20 years ago and even being fully retired my income is not much less than when I was working ( adjusted to current dollars ). I lived within my means, invested wisely, paid off my mortgage early, and continue to have good health. Some of my colleagues ( 65+ ) who were also making good money are still not retired.

Maybe some of it is the "live for now forget about the future" mentality. And maybe some are just not very bright. Do people realy think that Social Security only will enable them to retire ?
Maybe there just isn't any space in their lives to think about the future. A lot of people are just trying to get through this day, this week, this month, pay the rent, eat, and keep the lights on. Thinking about the future is futile because there isn't anything they can do about it.

I was in that position once myself. The only reason I'm not broke in retirement is because I always did have a job and that job was with a public authority that was in a pension system. But being married left me in debt and with a child to support alone, and I lived from paycheck to paycheck until she was old enough to go to college. There was no way to save money. I could not participate in my employer's equivalent to the 401(k) (457b, maybe?). I didn't have anything to spare once I paid the bills and got my kid what she needed.

Fortunately, I've got that pension and have had job opportunities come my way in retirement and I'm catching up a bit now.

I think some people DO think Social Security will be enough for them when they retire, though. Others will find ways to make money here and there even once they are on SS. I have a friend who is 83. She never finished high school, married and had three kids, and was widowed at 47. Worked in offices and supermarkets and as a CNA. After she lost her last job at 64, she took Social Security but then worked for eight years helping a man bathe and dress and feed his wife with dementia every morning until she died. She still works elections for the $200 a day or whatever she gets.

Life's complicated, and the way ours went and the decisions we made and the opportunities we had are not the same as that of everyone else.

Old Yesterday, 06:03 PM

24,479 posts, read 10,815,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
That's an old term once used for widows. It went out of fashion a century or more ago, although you occasionally come across it in a document.
To refer to widows in a public forum as "relicts" is what?

Old Yesterday, 06:04 PM

11,410 posts, read 5,967,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
It already is means tested to an extent with the taxation of benefits.
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
You DO REALIZE, don't you, that Social Security benefits already are means tested - and have been for a very, very long time.
Not even close to what is coming. Not even close, and both of you know it. Neither of you are so stupid as to not to understand what I meant.

Many people posting to the retirement forum would be receiving zero from Social Security if it was truly means tested. Zero dollars. Nada.

Old Yesterday, 06:08 PM

43,059 posts, read 18,231,767 times
Take a gander at the "members" of the group that conducted the study......

https://www.protectedincome.org/wp-c...Logos-2023.pdf

Do you think those guys benefit from telling people they are doing just fine ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement