Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2024, 03:01 AM

8,144 posts, read 8,343,862 times

Advertisements

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, but don’t know where to put it and I figured we in this forum know something about wills and trusts.

I was executor of my late husband’s estate. It was a simple will, not a turst. It didn’t have to be probated. He specifically left funds to some family members and anything not named in the will was left to me. Now I’ve been contacted by a land attorney because my late/former (I remarried) husband has an inheritance that wasn’t claimed. This isn’t a scam because I actually am aware of this asset and just totally forgot about it. I have no interest in acquiring any assets but would certainly claim them and pass on to his adult children (because I love them dearly.). However wondering what to do if I cannot find the will. He died 25 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2024, 03:07 AM

30,507 posts, read 16,209,926 times
Estate laws vary. I've never heard of a will not having to be probated with or without a trust. But I've dealt with wills in only 3 states.

I would ask the attorney what to do in that case.

Old 03-12-2024, 11:06 AM

6,625 posts, read 7,339,476 times
Yes you need an attorney. My assumption would be one licensed in the state you past husband was a resident of and one that practices in the field.

The intestate laws of that state might leave the entire asset to you so you would not need the will.

From your post I assume the will was not filed with the probate court. If it was i would see if they still have the files.

I would also try the attorney who wrote the will if you can find that firm.

As an alternative just tell your story to the person holding the asset and see if they can transfer it to you.

Old 03-12-2024, 11:32 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,122,166 times
I'm confused was he already your former husband when he died?...or you then-husband when he died.

Late husband and former are not necessarily the same.

Old 03-12-2024, 03:20 PM

24,508 posts, read 10,836,221 times
Did those who received funds also receive a copy of the will?

Old 03-13-2024, 06:43 AM

He passed away 25 years ago while we were married. The attorney who prepared his will is deceased

Old 03-13-2024, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Did those who received funds also receive a copy of the will?
He left his mother funds and each of our kids. But I didn’t give a copy of the will to anyone. We had a reading of the will.

Old 03-13-2024, 08:36 AM

3,933 posts, read 2,189,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, but don’t know where to put it and I figured we in this forum know something about wills and trusts.

I was executor of my late husband’s estate. It was a simple will, not a turst. It didn’t have to be probated. He specifically left funds to some family members and anything not named in the will was left to me. Now I’ve been contacted by a land attorney because my late/former (I remarried) husband has an inheritance that wasn’t claimed. This isn’t a scam because I actually am aware of this asset and just totally forgot about it. I have no interest in acquiring any assets but would certainly claim them and pass on to his adult children (because I love them dearly.). However wondering what to do if I cannot find the will. He died 25 years ago.
Just tell it to his adult children ( it isn’t clear it is just his or both of yours kids) so they inherit and you don’t need to spend the money.
It is your intention anyway, right?

It would simplify everything. They/their lawyer may ask you to write a letter that you disclaim that land.
Give them his death certificate
Who paid the taxes? It may not worth much if there is a lien?

Old 03-19-2024, 12:14 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,934,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
Estate laws vary. I've never heard of a will not having to be probated with or without a trust. But I've dealt with wills in only 3 states.
Michigan has a No Probate Required rule for financially insolvent estates. No requirement for a Court Approved Executor for insolvent estates either.

But as an Attorney you likely would never see an Insolvent Estate. Why would a family hire an Attorney when there are no assets to be distribted?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement