Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2024, 09:33 PM

6,883 posts, read 11,240,057 times

Advertisements

Everyone's lives are so different.

A lot of people know my story. We're not where we want to be but we had to help parents financially and otherwise. We've had a lot of ups and downs and kept going.

I went back to college in my early 30's and it was a cluster program where we met weekly and on Saturdays for 27 months. Almost at the end of the course, the instructor asked us to write down what major events had happened in our lives during the 27 months. We turned them in the next week and the following week, we had a spread sheet with how many births, deaths, moves, job losses, loss of home, illness, etc. there were. It filled a page and a half and just showed out of 33 people that we are susceptible to something happening.

It was really eye opening because we all supported each other during this time and became a close group.
Most students were anywhere from 26 to 60 so very diverse and we all learned from each other.

In fact, the night of the final final exam, my dad went in for a 5 way bypass surgery and I had to be the one to admit him. I was late for the exam and was not eligible to take it. Long story.

I try so hard every day to deal with positive thoughts and people and steer the negative out but I'm still working; it's OK for a while and I've come to terms with it. No one gets everything they want or dream about. It's OK. I'm self employed so I'm the boss in a sense even though I feel I report to about 30 people!

For the past few days, our daughter has visited us and we have all been together as a family. We had a few outings and I felt so fortunate to have both my adult children with me - they are happy! They played some golf, we also did Top Golf and went bowling and had a belated birthday dinner. I am just going to feast on this good memory for now. Our son and I work together so thankful for him all the time.

Our daughter is a huge sports fan (many sports) but loves and eats golf. It was so much fun just having so much life back in the house this weekend. I know it will be quiet when she is gone but I will bask in this weekend's memories for a while!

Thanks for listening!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2024, 04:55 AM

880 posts, read 764,846 times
I’m so glad you had such a wonderful weekend visiting with your daughter. My family is gathering this coming weekend to celebrate 2 birthdays and church confirmation for one of my granddaughters. My 91 year old dad is even coming. We will miss my mom who passed in December, but I a, so glad everyone else will be here. 12 of us in all.

Old 03-18-2024, 06:32 AM

30,510 posts, read 16,209,926 times
You may not be where you want to be but it sounds like you're doing ok there.

You have a great attitude that I admire.

Old 03-18-2024, 06:36 AM

17,363 posts, read 16,505,917 times
It's wonderful that you were able to have both of your kids home for the weekend. There's nothing quite like having the family together, laughing, sharing memories and having fun together. And there is nothing better than seeing your adult children happy and thriving. Times like this are golden.

This is what life is all about!

Old 03-18-2024, 08:50 AM

11,106 posts, read 9,750,713 times
Cherish those family times. They become fewer and further between as kids grow up and make their own families and lives. We went to Hawaii on a vacation with my brother and his wife two weeks ago and we were fortunate that the date we picked to head west almost corresponded with the date of a family wedding in CA (where brother lives, he was the bride's grandfather) so we scheduled around the wedding and got to attend the wedding en route. It was wonderful to see so much of the family together for the wedding, and to spend a whole week of increasingly valuable time with my brother, in paradise no less. Unfortunately, he's been diagnosed with vascular dementia and his kidneys aren't long for this world either. It was so great to have unhurried time to just be with them and be together like we were when we were kids. I don't know how much longer we'll have, so it makes it all the sweeter.

So glad you were able to have those good times with your kids OP.

Old 03-18-2024, 08:53 AM

2,340 posts, read 613,093 times
We have an Airbnb beach house 1 1/4 hours from our house. We blocked Spring Break last week for a family vacation. 3 of our four children were able to be with us - our son is in USARMY and getting ready to transfer bases so he couldn't join us. But his oldest daughter 14 yrs. old was able to come. Our oldest daughter has 2 girls and one is same age as sons Dau. They are 6 months apart in age. Our middle daughter - 26, had a friend fly in too for the week. My husband was in AZ so he drove our youngest and her fiancé to the beach house stopping in Austin to pick up granddaughter. My youngest is a teacher in Headstart and got along with youngest grand very well. The weather didn't cooperate, but great fun was held by all. The teens were up late most nights just laughing and having a blast. The twentysomethings all got along and played some games in the evenings . It was a wonderful week. Many memories.

Old 03-18-2024, 02:35 PM

11,106 posts, read 9,750,713 times
^^^That's great!^^^

Old 03-18-2024, 05:22 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,982,834 times
no family-related memories for me this weekend, but I went to see the sandhill crane migration on the Platte River and got an unexpected bonus - a sighting of 5 highly endangered Whooping Cranes!

Sometimes you really need a wonderful weekend, and this one delivered for me. I'm glad it also delivered for others!

Old 03-18-2024, 08:38 PM

Smile Hope you have fun and enoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skimbro000 View Post
I’m so glad you had such a wonderful weekend visiting with your daughter. My family is gathering this coming weekend to celebrate 2 birthdays and church confirmation for one of my granddaughters. My 91 year old dad is even coming. We will miss my mom who passed in December, but I a, so glad everyone else will be here. 12 of us in all.
My own parents came from small families. My parents had 4 children that lived. Out of those 4 children came 12 grandchildren for my parents and boy, did they love all of them. Lived within 15 minutes of all, went to every game, school event and birthday party that they could get to.

All the cousins (my kids and my sibs' kids) grew up in separate neighborhoods but all know each other well and keep in touch and see each other. One of my brother's kids lives in California and is in NY and NJ all the time for work. He stays with our daughter when he comes that far. So, great relationships.

When we were all about to get married and have our children, my dad had us get together for everything - 4th of July, birthdays, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter, Memorial Day, even anniversaries! We celebrated everything and I think it kept us all in each other's lives.

So, with my own children, I want to start doing more of that with all my nieces and nephews and their families and of course, my siblings. We all get along. I just want to celebrate the good times because we all know those can keep us strong during the tough times.

So, I love that you are doing that this weekend and including your 91 year old dad. My dad would be 96 this year if he had lived.

Old 03-18-2024, 08:46 PM

Smile Hard sometimes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
You may not be where you want to be but it sounds like you're doing ok there.

You have a great attitude that I admire.
I'm always the encourager and thank you for that compliment. It is appreciated.

My husband went through a tough time. It was a legal thing and he won but it took so much. He was the little guy fighting the big guys who wanted him to roll over. So much for our 50's. I found our attorney who turned out to be a blessing but it took everything we had plus plus plus.

He wants to write a book one day because only 1/2 of 1 percent actually beat the government. He was one of those. They went after the wrong guy. He chose to fight and I admire him for that.

It's been over for almost 12 years now but it took so much out of us and you find out who your friends are - for sure. Still paying for it in a sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement