Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2024, 09:17 AM

20,099 posts, read 9,003,220 times

Advertisements

My bank account was hacked for $3K last year. Reported it to the bank, identified the bogus charges, had the money back in my account within 5 business days. Wasn't really that big of a deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2024, 12:22 PM

106,594 posts, read 108,739,314 times
that’s in your case .

we see case after case on our local network about cases where the bank denies reimbursement because it doesn’t appear to them as black and white . seven on your side gas to get involved to try to get their money back

Old 03-15-2024, 02:09 PM

11,632 posts, read 12,693,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
they are actually writing them . that has been the biggest threat in our area .. little by little they are trying to change the mail boxes to some kind of tamper proof
They don't even bother with the mailboxes. You have probably heard about postal workers walking in the street or in their trucks, being threatened with a weapon to hand over the mail

Old 03-16-2024, 10:43 AM

8,920 posts, read 4,636,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
that’s in your case .

we see case after case on our local network about cases where the bank denies reimbursement because it doesn’t appear to them as black and white . seven on your side gas to get involved to try to get their money back
Funny, that is what the (simi)local TV station here is called, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
They don't even bother with the mailboxes. You have probably heard about postal workers walking in the street or in their trucks, being threatened with a weapon to hand over the mail
Until recently I had very seldom heard of a postal worker getting held up.

But it seems to be the way of the future.

Old 03-16-2024, 01:33 PM

36,413 posts, read 16,022,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
I re-read the article. There is no mention of fraudsters opening a new bank account in victim’s name and SSN that I could locate. What I read was that they convinced SS Admin to redirect the payments to a different bank account. May be what you are suggesting is how it is done but I did not read that in the article.
This is far as I've gotten, my Dad wanted his SS transferred to another account that has interest. He went to the bank, got letter from SS to confirm this is what he wanted, it took 2 months to transfer. No problems.

I'll keep reading.

Old 03-16-2024, 01:37 PM

36,413 posts, read 16,022,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
Too many post without reading the article linked in the original post. Here is what it says -

"“Fraudsters were able to obtain sufficient information about a true beneficiary to convince the Social Security Administration that they were that beneficiary,” said Jeffrey Brown, a deputy assistant inspector general at the Office of the Inspector General, who analyzed the issue in 2019. “Once they were in the front door, they were able to change their direct deposits.”

I don't believe the website is the weak link. I think the fraudsters are calling and getting access to the account by providing all the right information to SSA. 2FA should stop that but perhaps it has not been set up by the affected beneficiaries. Of course, 2FA with phone is not as secure as hardware security such as yubikey.
How? How did they convince the SSA? Without an in person visit to bank and or SSA? Why would they take the word of a phone call?

Old 03-16-2024, 05:04 PM

8,920 posts, read 4,636,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasmtairy View Post
This is far as I've gotten, my Dad wanted his SS transferred to another account that has interest. He went to the bank, got letter from SS to confirm this is what he wanted, it took 2 months to transfer. No problems.

I'll keep reading.
How long ago was this occasion with your Dad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasmtairy View Post
How? How did they convince the SSA? Without an in person visit to bank and or SSA? Why would they take the word of a phone call?
It may have something to do with the day we live in.

I have said, for many years, the country is in a state of collapse.
Things are not the way they used to be.

Old 03-16-2024, 06:26 PM

2,050 posts, read 993,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
You have probably heard about postal workers walking in the street or in their trucks, being threatened with a weapon to hand over the mail
I haven't. Is this actually happening? Wouldn't surprise me.

If society continues to erode toward a rotten core it will become commonplace for mail carriers to be fully armed, like police. Or mail delivery will simply cease to exist and will have to be picked up at the post office.

Old 03-16-2024, 06:59 PM

17,340 posts, read 11,266,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
I haven't. Is this actually happening? Wouldn't surprise me.

If society continues to erode toward a rotten core it will become commonplace for mail carriers to be fully armed, like police. Or mail delivery will simply cease to exist and will have to be picked up at the post office.
It happened in CA where i used to live. Also people would have mailboxes that lock with a key. No problem for the thieves, they would just use a baseball bat and smash it open.
Picking up the mail at the post office doesn't really work in a large enough city. You'd have several thousand people everyday picking up mail at the PO. Also, there aren't enough PO Boxes available to accommodate everyone who would go to the expense of getting one.

Old 03-16-2024, 08:18 PM

2,050 posts, read 993,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Picking up the mail at the post office doesn't really work in a large enough city. You'd have several thousand people everyday picking up mail at the PO. Also, there aren't enough PO Boxes available to accommodate everyone who would go to the expense of getting one.
I thought of that after I posted.

How important is it for most people to receive mail every single day? I think daily delivery is a convenience, not a requirement.

For businesses it's a different story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement