Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2024, 10:06 AM

3,075 posts, read 1,541,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
A couple questions. Is not an ATM card a debit card? Perhaps you use your debit card only for ATM withdrawals. On top of that. Good idea to have your credit frozen. But that has nothing to do with diverting your SS check to a different account by a scammer. According to the story above if a scammer can gain access to your SS account online they can change the bank direct deposit info to wherever they want. It has nothing to do with whether your credit is locked or not. Whoever is on the new account is not locked and is not connected to you. All these security measures are only as good as your weakest link. And that appears to be the social security administration. Now if the name on the bank account has to match your name that makes a difference. And I think that depends on the bank. I don't believe all banks require that.
you can tell the bank that you only want a ATM card, no debit card.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2024, 12:14 PM

471 posts, read 404,544 times
The Social Security website appears to be the weak link. Solution: turn off access to the online account, and do any business needed in person. This is annoying, but you will sleep better.

If you do that, freeze your credit also, and use a physical key, like yubikey, to access your online financial accounts. Currently I know of 3 accepting yubikey: Bank of America, KeyBank and Vanguard.

Last edited by lpc123; 03-11-2024 at 12:22 PM.. Reason: Add BofA

Old 03-11-2024, 03:45 PM

5,761 posts, read 11,360,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpc123 View Post
The Social Security website appears to be the weak link. Solution: turn off access to the online account, and do any business needed in person. This is annoying, but you will sleep better.

If you do that, freeze your credit also, and use a physical key, like yubikey, to access your online financial accounts. Currently I know of 3 accepting yubikey: Bank of America, KeyBank and Vanguard.
Can you provide a link that provides examples of why the SSA.gov website is a "weak link"?

I have used the SSA.gov website for many years, and have never called or visited a local social security office. I signed up online for medicare (age 65) and four years later just before age 69 to start receiving SS benefits. The website is excellent and makes it pretty easy to sign up.

I don't see any big issue with website security on SSA.gov. You need to have all of your ID information in order before attempting to sign up as a user - it is probably the hardest part related to online access to SSA.gov. Once you have set up access, every user session is a two step login process. First with your user ID and password, then via a security code to your email or mobile phone that is registered with SSA.gov. It is not a trivial matter for someone to hack into.

Old 03-11-2024, 05:11 PM

3,085 posts, read 2,215,292 times
Too many post without reading the article linked in the original post. Here is what it says -

"“Fraudsters were able to obtain sufficient information about a true beneficiary to convince the Social Security Administration that they were that beneficiary,” said Jeffrey Brown, a deputy assistant inspector general at the Office of the Inspector General, who analyzed the issue in 2019. “Once they were in the front door, they were able to change their direct deposits.”

I don't believe the website is the weak link. I think the fraudsters are calling and getting access to the account by providing all the right information to SSA. 2FA should stop that but perhaps it has not been set up by the affected beneficiaries. Of course, 2FA with phone is not as secure as hardware security such as yubikey.

Old 03-12-2024, 02:03 AM

106,592 posts, read 108,739,314 times
how rediculous in this day and age is it that the instructions when you write a check for taxes to the IRS ,tell you to put your social security number on the check

Old 03-12-2024, 04:35 AM

7,492 posts, read 3,223,452 times
That is your account number .

Old 03-12-2024, 06:06 AM

106,592 posts, read 108,739,314 times
we don’t do it at all anymore , no ss on checks

Old 03-14-2024, 04:45 PM

7,430 posts, read 4,675,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
you can tell the bank that you only want a ATM card, no debit card.
ATM card is a debit card.

Old 03-14-2024, 06:27 PM

3,085 posts, read 2,215,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
we don’t do it at all anymore , no ss on checks
I’ve not sent a check to the IRS for decades. Look into EFTPS. A very clean way to pay Uncle Sam.

Old 03-15-2024, 09:07 AM

239 posts, read 106,660 times
I believe you can receive your monthly amount on some type of a card, visa maybe. There might be a way to block any other avenue
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement