Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2023, 09:21 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,904,264 times

Advertisements

https://www.cbsnews.com/newyork/news...lobby-robeson/

this is a new building too. video in the link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2023, 04:31 AM

34,110 posts, read 47,343,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
https://www.cbsnews.com/newyork/news...lobby-robeson/

this is a new building too. video in the link
I could never live in Harlem, sorry
Just not for me
Too much bummy events like this
Last time I was on 125th, this guy waited until the vendor's back was turned, then stole 2 tomatoes
Smh, that happened this summer
"Annoying crime" is what you can call it
And heavy drug presence

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-22-2023, 07:40 AM

1,573 posts, read 913,596 times
This is why you don't see nice things in Third World countries unless it's behind heavy gates topped with razor-wire. Those people gave up trying long ago. Watch the video. This is why WE will not have nice things in the very near future. But Harlem is not the place to showcase that kind of stuff in the front window either. Has been since before I was born.

Old 12-22-2023, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pope of Greenwich Village View Post
This is why you don't see nice things in Third World countries unless it's behind heavy gates topped with razor-wire. Those people gave up trying long ago. Watch the video. This is why WE will not have nice things in the very near future. But Harlem is not the place to showcase that kind of stuff in the front window either. Has been since before I was born.
We have barbed wire over here in the First World too, so I don't get your point

Old 12-22-2023, 08:02 AM

1,573 posts, read 913,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
We have barbed wire over here in the First World too, so I don't get your point
Yeah, if you have an automotive shop on Jamaica Ave you better have some barbed wire (lots of luck with that). I just got back from Africa. They have concertina wire with fresh razors on every damn rooftop and window, broken bottles cemented into every window pane. Bars on every window and door. We have a bit of that here too, I can admit, my building in lower Manhattan had broken wine bottles cemented into the backyard wall back in 1890. But wait until you need razor wire and bars on your bedroom window. There ain't a single doorway in Africa where I was that didn't have that. I don't want that sh*t here is all I'm saying. But looks like it's coming to that.

Old 12-22-2023, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Yeah, if you have an automotive shop on Jamaica Ave you better have some barbed wire (lots of luck with that). I just got back from Africa. They have concertina wire with fresh razors on every damn rooftop and window, broken bottles cemented into every window pane. Bars on every window and door. We have a bit of that here too, I can admit, my building in lower Manhattan had broken wine bottles cemented into the backyard wall back in 1890. But wait until you need razor wire and bars on your bedroom window. There ain't a single doorway in Africa where I was that didn't have that. I don't want that sh*t here is all I'm saying. But looks like it's coming to that.
So you're saying there's no barbed wire in Manhattan? People do that because its a cheap deterrent. In the city, people use more expensive deterrents, that's all it is...

Old 12-22-2023, 12:18 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,777,165 times
Quote:
I went to the mall last weekend and saw a velvet roped fence around the decorated Christmas tree that was in the entryway. First time I ever saw a Christmas tree with a fence around it at the mall. Guess they want to prevent people from stealing the ornaments or running smack into it while texting.

Old 12-22-2023, 01:29 PM

10,130 posts, read 15,013,843 times
Well, it's a new low but I get it. Robbing furniture from other floors means taking them down to ground level and then putting them in a truck. That's a lot of work. Next best thing? The lobby. The main entrance is right there.

As for stealing the key code. Either they know someone that works in the building, one of them works in the building or it was given to delivery types such as Grubhub. Some people do include the key code in the special instructions rather than wait for delivery at the main entrance.

Old 12-22-2023, 04:41 PM

5,703 posts, read 2,625,200 times
This is so bad that it's funny. I lived on Lenox Ave back in the day. Doesn't matter how many nice stores or restaurants come, Harlem will still be Harlem.

Old 12-22-2023, 05:45 PM

10,130 posts, read 15,013,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
This is so bad that it's funny. I lived on Lenox Ave back in the day. Doesn't matter how many nice stores or restaurants come, Harlem will still be Harlem.
The thieves move away to the suburbs to get away from all the theft and commute to Harlem for "work."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City