Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2024, 06:20 PM

546 posts, read 294,516 times

Advertisements

I retired at 57 and was not tempted to stay in any sense.

But after retiring, and after I was settled in my new home, I tried my hand at teaching at the high school level, not for the extra income, but because the school system was desperate for [ math/general science/chemistry/physics/environmental science ] teachers are I was certified to teach all of those subjects. I didn't stay with it because it just wasn't as enjoyable as teaching at the college level.

Now my daughter on the other hand just resigned from her job and they immediately offered her a consulting contract, so she will work for them part-time while she looks for something better. She could retire, but isn't ready to do so.

I know some retired folks don't know what to do with themselves, but for me I am thoroughly enjoying all of my acitivities. Never a dull moment unless I want to have one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2024, 08:01 AM

15,029 posts, read 12,238,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
This sounds a lot like how my father eventually retired, which is to say in stages. At the end he essentially got to decide the projects he took on, hours he kept, etc., but his employer retained the benefit of his many, many years of experience. The third time he "retired" it actually stuck. But in his case, he truly loved what he did, didn't have a lot of internal politics (at least from what he told me) and didn't really have a lot of outside interests.

I told my current employer I was retiring about a week ago and they asked me what it would take to keep me. I explained in a way that they would understand that I'm done, really done. Maybe there are certain professions where this "flextirement" means something, like in my father's case, but in my case I literally don't see any halfway point worth considering. Cutting your hours by half but still having the stress of certain expectations or results hanging over your head is not a retirement lite - it is giving your employer the benefit of your experience at bargain-basement prices. No, for me, it's retire or not. The halfway only gets you a miniscule decrease in stress with a much larger decrease in compensation.
The other problem with "flextire" as I see it would be the expectation on the part of your employer that you will accomplish the same volume of work that you did as a full time employee. Or that you will be expected to be available to work extra hours at any time at the request of your employer.

Old 02-22-2024, 11:58 AM

1,622 posts, read 3,787,196 times
I would do it if I could get full benefits.

Old 02-22-2024, 08:16 PM

10,627 posts, read 12,189,106 times
My mindset has always been, when I'm working I'm working, when I'm on vacation (not working), I'm on vacation (not working) -- period. The two are mutually exclusive.

For example I was a journalist -- and could write off a pleasure trip IF I wrote and article about it. Co-workers would do that so they could write off the vacation. I never did because writing is "working" to me -- I didn't want have to take notes on a restaurant or hotel or museum. How long was the wait? What was the staff like? What did the tour have to offer? Or have to arrange an interview with some official, or interview locals or tourists -- just so I could put that in an article. I didn't want to have to think about what I needed for an article...I was on vacation!

That's my thinking about retirement also. Either I'm retired. Or I'm not. And for me working part-time is not retired. Period.

The whole point of being retirement (again, for me) -- is not to have to answer to anyone, for anything work related -- NO deadlines, NO performance metrics, NO expected deliverables -- period. No having to get up or go to bed at any given time. Not having to work any part of my life around anything work related - period.

When people say they can pick my own clients, or their own hours, or work as much/little as they want....you mean to tell me they NEVER have to report what they're doing at all, to anyone, at any time? Never had to provide an update? Fill out a report? To me that's a ghost employee that people wouldn't even know is on the payroll -- if NO supervisor ever expects anything. If that's the case why do any work - just doing absolutely nothing and see how long you can collect a paycheck turning in NO work or showing nothing in exchange for the paycheck. And we do know there have been ( and likely still are) ghost employees on payrolls. Although we don't hear about it as much anymore.

Clearly, I've just not been blessed like that or worked in fields where someone could say or do that.

I don't believe my company has any part-time workers. And as we manage cases...would the part-timer get half as many cases, but still have the same deadlines for each case? Well if the deadline is the same, then that's still a deadline. And the point of retiring is to NOT have deadlines.

If people want to phase-in their retirement by working part-time fine. IMO, that's not retired. That's all

Old 02-22-2024, 08:26 PM

1,453 posts, read 683,874 times
I almost did this. When I retired last summer I told them I would stay longer if I could do my job part time.
I knew that wasn't an option then but just tossed it out there when they asked if I was sure I didn't want to stay.
About 3 months later I got a call asking if I would consider coming back and we could negotiate hours. I was happy they asked me but was enjoying myself way to much by then so I declined.
It has been almost 8 months now and I'm considering a part time job but not there. It will be for way less money also but that is OK with me.

Old 02-23-2024, 08:55 AM

88,819 posts, read 85,222,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
My mindset has always been, when I'm working I'm working, when I'm on vacation (not working), I'm on vacation (not working) -- period. The two are mutually exclusive.

For example I was a journalist -- and could write off a pleasure trip IF I wrote and article about it. Co-workers would do that so they could write off the vacation. I never did because writing is "working" to me -- I didn't want have to take notes on a restaurant or hotel or museum. How long was the wait? What was the staff like? What did the tour have to offer? Or have to arrange an interview with some official, or interview locals or tourists -- just so I could put that in an article. I didn't want to have to think about what I needed for an article...I was on vacation!

That's my thinking about retirement also. Either I'm retired. Or I'm not. And for me working part-time is not retired. Period.

The whole point of being retirement (again, for me) -- is not to have to answer to anyone, for anything work related -- NO deadlines, NO performance metrics, NO expected deliverables -- period. No having to get up or go to bed at any given time. Not having to work any part of my life around anything work related - period.

When people say they can pick my own clients, or their own hours, or work as much/little as they want....you mean to tell me they NEVER have to report what they're doing at all, to anyone, at any time? Never had to provide an update? Fill out a report? To me that's a ghost employee that people wouldn't even know is on the payroll -- if NO supervisor ever expects anything. If that's the case why do any work - just doing absolutely nothing and see how long you can collect a paycheck turning in NO work or showing nothing in exchange for the paycheck. And we do know there have been ( and likely still are) ghost employees on payrolls. Although we don't hear about it as much anymore.

Clearly, I've just not been blessed like that or worked in fields where someone could say or do that.

I don't believe my company has any part-time workers. And as we manage cases...would the part-timer get half as many cases, but still have the same deadlines for each case? Well if the deadline is the same, then that's still a deadline. And the point of retiring is to NOT have deadlines.

If people want to phase-in their retirement by working part-time fine. IMO, that's not retired. That's all
Tell us how you really feel, but use stronger words next time.

I say I am retired even though I work part-time because I get a pension from a state retirement system. THEY say I'm retired and send money to my checking account every month.

But I don't work part-time for my previous employer, even though the work is related. My current company provides services for them as a consultant.

Old 02-23-2024, 01:11 PM

206 posts, read 142,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofagunk View Post
I would do it if I could get full benefits.
Gotta be an 'equal' participant, or your co-workers will be very resentful (even tho it is YOUR choice, not THEIR choice)

Our company prorated all benefits which was 'fair'. Several friends went to 3 day workweeks once they met their 'freedom' objective. (Paid off house, college and retirement fund met, downsized, spouse retired...)

Since I was the sole wage earner, I just QUIT (cold turkey) and dealt with the consequences. ~ age 50.

I really missed the paid vacation. But that's about it. (except the direct deposit halt was a shock too!)

There are many options NOW for HC (which there were not 20 - 30 yrs ago)
Other benefits? (Free money for retirement acct... ) You're just selling your hours / remaining short life.
That comes with a cost. (unfortunately), so make it COUNT!

You may never live to SPEND your savings / retirement fund. That's tough luck too. Happens every day.

Old 02-24-2024, 02:56 AM

830 posts, read 460,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

I say I am retired even though I work part-time because I get a pension from a state retirement system. THEY say I'm retired and send money to my checking account every month.

But I don't work part-time for my previous employer, even though the work is related. My current company provides services for them as a consultant.
I run into your posts on occasion Mighty, and I wish I could rec every one... CD keeps telling me I have to spread my rec's around more...lol.

I just wanted to say I appreciate the way you look at things. I agree with most every post. Even the ones where we differ you still make great points and have class.

Thank you

Old 02-24-2024, 03:03 AM

107,083 posts, read 109,405,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

being retired doesn’t always mean not working . it means you don’t have to work and so what you do is enjoyable to you . the fact one gets paid to do it is a bonus .

i look at everything i do that generates income from my photography, to drumming , to doing training at my old company weekly when i choose to as things i would do for free as charity work because i enjoy it.

i even tried to get a job at the local strip club cleaning up the empty beer bottles , but they wanted to charge me to much . ha ha

i try to hold it to one to two days doing the training a week and one day drumming in the studio ..

the rest of the days are spent with our photography or grand kids , so it has been a busy almost 9 years in retirement

Old 02-24-2024, 02:49 PM

88,819 posts, read 85,222,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SickofJersey View Post
I run into your posts on occasion Mighty, and I wish I could rec every one... CD keeps telling me I have to spread my rec's around more...lol.

I just wanted to say I appreciate the way you look at things. I agree with most every post. Even the ones where we differ you still make great points and have class.

Thank you
Thank you! I must rep you too much, too, because I couldn't give you another one. We could just sit here and rep each other all day long...Jersey solidarity. (I know you bailed out already, hehehe.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement