Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2020, 02:55 PM

33,266 posts, read 26,477,412 times

Advertisements

Some Christians believe in reincarnation. But I am going to argue that the Bible does not and can not teach it without contradicting the teaching of resurrection. Jesus' reference to John the baptist being Elijah in Matthew 11:14 was metaphorical rather than literal. John even denied being Elijah in John 1:21.

Why does reincarnation contradict resurrection? Because in reincarnation a person's soul returns to this world x number of times to a different body each time. He returns as a different person, at least in the Hindu version of reincarnation. But in resurrection (and I argue for a physical, bodily resurrection on the basis of the biblical description of Jesus' resurrected body being flesh and bone and being able to eat) a person's body is resurrected and the person's soul returns to that body. The same soul returns to the same body.

If reincarnation were true along with resurrection being true, then how can the same soul be returned to x number of bodies that had been reincarnated and also resurrected? Only one resurrected body would have that soul. How could one soul inhabit multiple resurrected bodies? The other resurrected bodies that had been reincarnated would be resurrected as soulless zombies as it were.

I argue that a person is not just a soul and not just a body. A human being is both body and soul (and spirit).

Therefore, as a Christian, how can you logically believe in both reincarnation and resurrection at the same time (if you do)? Logically, you would have to believe in one or the other. But not both.

Anyway . . .whether you agree or disagree, do give your opinion on the matter. I do expect there will be disagreement by some. And that's fine. You won't hurt me by disagreeing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2020, 03:05 PM

3,573 posts, read 1,178,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
Some Christians believe in reincarnation. But I am going to argue that the Bible does not and can not teach it without contradicting the teaching of resurrection. Jesus' reference to John the baptist being Elijah in Matthew 11:14 was metaphorical rather than literal. John even denied being Elijah in John 1:21.

Why does reincarnation contradict resurrection? Because in reincarnation a person's soul returns to this world x number of times to a different body each time. He returns as a different person, at least in the Hindu version of reincarnation. But in resurrection (and I argue for a physical, bodily resurrection on the basis of the biblical description of Jesus' resurrected body being flesh and bone and being able to eat) a person's body is resurrected and the person's soul returns to that body. The same soul returns to the same body.

If reincarnation were true along with resurrection being true, then how can the same soul be returned to x number of bodies that had been reincarnated and also resurrected? Only one resurrected body would have that soul. How could one soul inhabit multiple resurrected bodies? The other resurrected bodies that had been reincarnated would be resurrected as soulless zombies as it were.

I argue that a person is not just a soul and not just a body. A human being is both body and soul (and spirit).

Therefore, as a Christian, how can you logically believe in both reincarnation and resurrection at the same time (if you do)? Logically, you would have to believe in one or the other. But not both.

Anyway . . .whether you agree or disagree, do give your opinion on the matter. I do expect there will be disagreement by some. And that's fine. You won't hurt me by disagreeing.
44"it is sown a natural body, it is raised a spiritual body." Is this resurrection?

Old 09-20-2020, 03:09 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,986,691 times
Quote:

For the reasons you have given, I agree.

Quote:
I'm a bit confused by this. Genesis says that when God breathed his spirit into Adam's body, that Adam "became a living soul." To me, a body + a spirit = a living soul. I don't see us as having a soul and also being a soul. Otherwise, we're on the same page.

Old 09-20-2020, 03:20 PM

3,573 posts, read 1,178,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post

I'm a bit confused by this. Genesis says that when God breathed his spirit into Adam's body, that Adam "became a living soul." To me, a body + a spirit = a living soul. I don't see us as having a soul and also being a soul. Otherwise, we're on the same page.
Living (animal) soul , Soul-Ego transitional into Spirit-Ego, physical body. I see it this way.

Old 09-20-2020, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post

The thing is, many words have a semantic range of meaning and different biblical writers may use the same words or terms in different ways. Remember that in 1 Thessalonians 5:23 Paul made a distinction between the body, soul, and spirit. As a matter of fact, so did Jesus regarding the body and soul.
1 Thessalonians 5:23 Now may the God of peace himself sanctify you completely, and may your whole spirit and soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.
And Jesus;
Matthew 10:28 And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. . .
As did the writer of Hebrews;
Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart.
In each of the three verses given above, a distinction is made between the body, soul and spirit (Matthew 10:28 omits a reference to the spirit).

Old 09-20-2020, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Duval View Post
44"it is sown a natural body, it is raised a spiritual body." Is this resurrection?
Yes, that's a reference to resurrection. But Paul's use of the term 'spiritual' body does not preclude it still being a physical body. A physical body that has been raised as a glorified physical body that is incorruptible and immortal can be referred to as a 'spiritual body.' Remember that the resurrected Jesus went out of his way to show his disciples that he was not a spirit but was flesh and bone.

Old 09-20-2020, 03:49 PM

3,061 posts, read 916,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Duval View Post
Living (animal) soul , Soul-Ego transitional into Spirit-Ego, physical body. I see it this way.
I sat and watched as a caterpillar built its own tomb, wherein, the caterpillar died and decomposed into juice, from which decomposed Juices, was created a beautiful butterfly. And the fool says, "There is no God, there is no intelligent design in the creation."

Was the caterpillar resurrected to life?

Romans 1: 18; "God's anger is revealed from heaven against all the sin and evil of the people whose evil ways prevent the truth from being known. God punishes them, because what can be known about God is plain to them, for God himself made it plain. Ever since God created the world, his invisible qualities, both his eternal power and his divine nature, have been clearly seen; they are perceived in the things that God has made. So those people have no excuse at all! They know God, but they do not give him the honour that belongs to him, nor do they thank him. Instead, their thoughts have become complete nonsense, and their empty minds are filled with darkness. 22They say they are wise, but they are fools; etc."

Old 09-20-2020, 04:18 PM

11,898 posts, read 3,709,906 times
Quote:
The thing is, many words have a semantic range of meaning and different biblical writers may use the same words or terms in different ways. Remember that in 1 Thessalonians 5:23 Paul made a distinction between the body, soul, and spirit. As a matter of fact, so did Jesus regarding the body and soul.
1 Thessalonians 5:23 Now may the God of peace himself sanctify you completely, and may your whole spirit and soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.
And Jesus;
Matthew 10:28 And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. . .
As did the writer of Hebrews;
Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart.
In each of the three verses given above, a distinction is made between the body, soul and spirit (Matthew 10:28 omits a reference to the spirit).
Also there is a range of meanings, not all is about the individual

Abraham is the Father of many nations, and in my opinion the resurrection is about the national/nations

Individuals re-incarnate

Nations resurrect

Mat 12:38**Then certain of the scribes and of the Pharisees answered, saying, Master, we would see a sign from thee.
Mat 12:39**But he answered and said unto them, An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given to it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas:
Mat 12:40**For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.
Mat 12:41**The men of Nineveh shall rise in judgment with this generation, and shall condemn it: because they repented at the preaching of Jonas; and, behold, a greater than Jonas is here.
Mat 12:42**The queen of the south shall rise up in the judgment with this generation, and shall condemn it: for she came from the uttermost parts of the earth to hear the wisdom of Solomon; and, behold, a greater than Solomon is here.

Old 09-20-2020, 04:36 PM

15,864 posts, read 6,337,059 times
Who is to say you get reincarnated as someone else? Maybe a person is reincarnated as themselves as many times as it takes to get it right. Shudder the thought. It never did make any sense to me that we had to get it right in the 80 or so years we have on this planet or face eternal consequences.

Old 09-20-2020, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
Also there is a range of meanings, not all is about the individual

Abraham is the Father of many nations, and in my opinion the resurrection is about the national/nations

Individuals re-incarnate

Nations resurrect

Mat 12:38**Then certain of the scribes and of the Pharisees answered, saying, Master, we would see a sign from thee.
Mat 12:39**But he answered and said unto them, An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given to it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas:
Mat 12:40**For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.
Mat 12:41**The men of Nineveh shall rise in judgment with this generation, and shall condemn it: because they repented at the preaching of Jonas; and, behold, a greater than Jonas is here.
Mat 12:42**The queen of the south shall rise up in the judgment with this generation, and shall condemn it: for she came from the uttermost parts of the earth to hear the wisdom of Solomon; and, behold, a greater than Solomon is here.
I understand what you're saying, but remember that Martha knew that her brother Lazarus (an individual) would rise in the resurrection on the last day (John 11:24). And Jesus said that everyone who believes in him
will be raised on the last day (John 6:40). In Jewish thought, those Jews who believed in resurrection (the Sadducees didn't) believed that individuals are resurrected. Nations are composed of individuals. Without individuals there would be no nations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity